Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Herminator"

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by vectorsolid, Jul 27, 2009.

1. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

If you're gonna be in here hanging in this thread, you're gonna need an avatar... let me work on something. ;)

Talked to the boys, they decked the block .050 It's partially back together, new cam is in, pistons are in. Gonna be ready again for this weekend. Building a Zoomie header in the next day or so.

I'm tellin ya, I think the dang thing weighs close to 1900#'s with driver. :eek: :D

2. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Attached Files:

3. Vector....are you the re-incarnated former member known as 'Mud'.....he was into that kinda weird stuff....;):rolleyes::D

Stick that engine on a set of bathroom scales, should give you a fair indication (although it might break the scales if you don't buy the XXXL set):D:):D

Get er done and let us know the ET improvement.

Cheers,

Drewfus

4. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

"mud"... My names been that for years. :D

I finally got around to finding the pictures I took of the time slips... funny how what we thought it ran wasn't exactly the result. I coulda sworn there was a 9.2 in there. Slips tell the story though. 2nd slip, he was trying to burn the tires as far as possible. :)

1) [email protected]
    2) [email protected]
    3) [email protected]

Attached Files:

5. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Other photos from our first track day.

Attached Files:

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

Looks like a good time (pun intended).:)

7. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

I was down at the machine shop, and the boys were furiously putting the engine back together.

as it sits now,
    Bore: 3.915
    Stroke: 4.12
    298 cubic inches

Chamber: 65 cc's
    Piston dish: 14 cc's

With all the decking, shaving, etc. with a .040" head gasket,
    Compression: 10.368:1

I got some pics of the 2bbl adaptor setup and the flange we're gonna try and use to make a header. And a before and after comparison of the piston dish.

Check out the base circle on the cam... ;)

Attached Files:

8. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Just came back from the shop. They flowed the head. It went 183cfm@28" with the intake it went 154cfm. They did some quick work and removed a few areas that they thought were causing some turbulence in the intake and got it to flow 159cfm. All things put together, they are estimating the horsepower at 210 without hitting the dyno with it. Head could use some port work, but we are running out of time. Engine is still apart it's Wednesday night, and we leave Friday night for the track... :eek:

Some more pics.

Attached Files:

9. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Here's how the flange started out before we cleaned it up with the mill.

Attached Files:

10. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

I'm diggin' those new pistons. I haven't seen a stocker piston with that dish, who made 'em?

That ol' girl will surpise you this weekend. Very nice looking work - many compliments to your engine shop crew. Inline fever has set in, its highly enjoyable to step off the beaten path occasionally.

Hud

11. 4th Street Machine

4th Street Machine
    from Montana

Hi guys, I'm the machinist. :)

Here are the numbers we got off the 292 cylinder head.

Stock:
    .1 lift = 55cfm
    .2 lift = 105cfm
    .3 lift = 142cfm
    .4 lift = 160cfm
    .5 lift = 164cfm

Mild port: 1.94 intake/ 1.60 exhaust valves:
    .1 lift = 65cfm
    .2 lift = 125cfm
    .3 lift = 175cfm
    .4 lift = 200cfm
    .5 lift = 208cfm

With the intake after the port job, the long runner ran 194cfm @ .5 lift.

Do to time restraints we didnt test the exhaust but picked up good gains.

Conservative numbers 240hp @ 5000rpm

"Beatnik"

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  12. xsparts

xsparts

Hi guys I hope noone is getting bent about all the work we are doing but you need to understand that this work is all to get more tire smoke than it is to get a fast time slip. If everything works out right I won't have any traction to get a good time slip with. These are only the things that I dream of, but I did get voted in as the driver so what they want don't count ,right. Patch:D

13. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Stop hanging out on the internet and get back to work... slacker... :D

Head ain't on that engine yet, we gotta get it in the car and running and build a zoomie... like in 24 hours and be at the track... Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue... ;)

Drop 3-4 sets of those old junk headers by my shop, and I'll start cutting them up. We might get lucky with tube orientation. Can't wait to TIG rusty metal... :)

Attached Files:

14. 4th Street Machine

4th Street Machine
    from Montana

the pistons are Fed. Mog. 980p they are heavy!!!

15. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Thanks Montana guys, you make it very interesting. But by fixing the engine you will have to spin those tires a lot more, just to make up for the loss of that exhaust smoke. Joe

16. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

All that smoke looked like "thrust" to me... Like a space shuttle launch. Probably go slower without it. :eek::p

maybe replace it with tire smoke. <crosses fingers>

XSparts is all about the tire smoke, so we'll see. He had a set of 10" slicks laying around that he mounted today up to "try" on Sunday.... to see what happens. We want to get some passes in on street tires first on Saturday to see how it all re-acts, before we break something with the slicks.

I think we're gonna have jetting issues.. Hard to say. Basically, it's our last event of the year so we don't want to miss it. None of this would have happened this year without the vision and generosity of the crew at 4th Street Machine.

17. 1. Vector - screw zoomies, some nice headers are required, some nice long flowing suckers...

2. You Montana guys brighten my day, great to see you having fun and getting stuff done with a great attitude to boot.

3. tyres smoke.....leave the slicks at home:D

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

18. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

980 grams? Yeah, that's heavy. So much for that, love the top - not so crazy about the weight. Stock replacement Hudsons weigh 740 grams (and I thought that was heavy-ish).

Those are some really good gains on the head. Did you guys leave the bolt boss in?

19. 4th Street Machine

4th Street Machine
    from Montana

Thats a wierd coincidence the pistons are part # 980P but they do wiegh about 980 grams.. imagine that con rod jerking a 2 pound piston @ 5000 rpm's (that slug is travelling at about 3500 feet per minute!!) I'm a little "dubious" about the life of this essentially stock rotating ass.

Anyone have any Ideas on a longer rod shorter piston combo? this is one reason we are goofing around with the short deck 250 with 4.120 292 crank, 6" rod and one really short piston, however 1.45 crank to rod ratio is not a good plan!

We didn't have time to cut the bolt bosses out & put in the humps so I narrowed them up a bit and just consentrated on the wall at the end of the port to get the air in. getting the shape for the area between the valves right was one frustrating piece of work!!!

20. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

How bad do you suppose 1-5/8" header tube is gonna choke it down over say 1-3/4"?

I have some nice bends in stock in 1-5/8" make this about 6-8 hours quicker on the build tonight.

technically, I suppose, we're building headers for a big block

21. xsparts

xsparts

Hi Guys just to be clear for Drefus's benefit the slicks will only be put on Sunday afternoon when all is slowing down for the day if we have'nt broke anything by then and then only for one pass just to see some numbers then back to the street tires. Maybe I forgot to mention that I love big hairy burnouts:D. So don't worry the slicks won't stay. Thnx Patch- if you see lights flashing either shut it down or shift

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  22. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

A set of Ross custom pistons weigh significantly less. They also cost about $150 each. I can't remember how much they weigh, I'm thinking in the 500g range.

We're running Ross flat-top pistons with the zero'ed deck, at about 11.5:1. Turning it 6K with no casualties except the occasional harmonic damper - which tells us we're on the edge of what she'll take.

That engine was Dad's baby, so I'm not so specific in the memory dept. as I am with the Hudsons. But, the 292 impressed the heck out of me!

Hud

23. bobw

bobw

Really narrow slicks on these cars would look cool! Bruce slicks were around by the mid-50's I think.
    Hudsonator, are there aluminum rods hiding inside your Dad's 292???

24. xsparts

xsparts

Hey Hudsonator I would love to see some pics of dads 292 pullin tractor that thing sounds like it would be a pretty wild ride. I think somewhere I read that he retired the old girl, so sad:(.

25. xsparts

xsparts

In bed by 2:30am up again at 7:30am and then off to see the wizard this 5-6 hrs a night is getting pretty old and my bride is awful tired of being widowed so it's a good thing this is the last rece of the year. Well next week Vector and myself are going to do some tuuuuuuner stuff but he'll have to tell you about that stuff, I can't even spell Hunda, Hoonda,Hondow:( are something like that. OK I'm off to the muffler shop for some header pipe, you boys have a great day. Did I mention that when I got home lastnight that I got to play with the box the kids came in:D. Patch--

26. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

The rods are bone stock, with the usual treatments. Ross makes some dandy, forged flattop lightweights for them - but the $$$$ sets one back. I'll have to say that the money was well worth it, we've had no bottom end problems turning those rpms. Harmonic dampers, another story.

Yeah, sad to see it retired. That's why I was interested in those pistons. If he doesn't sell the tractor complete, the engine will be slightly detuned (lower the compression) and put on the road in something. There are a few interested in it as a tractor, mainly the 500" Oliver owners it laid in the shade on its farewell blast down the track. $5000 if any of you HA/GR'ers have a secret tractor fetish. Turn key, ready to rock.

I suppose if the tractor world had an HA/GR equivalent, this was it. I pleaded with Dad for years for us to build a decent header. His reply was simple, " I like those ugly pipes"
    [​IMG]

27. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Car is back together and we scaled it. It's lighter than I thought. This is without driver. This is good news. figure 1800 pounds with driver.

Attached Files:

28. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Got the Zoomie built. I wish we had started with better bends. We cut up a set of crap'd out old big block headers and played with those for about an hour before we realized how little of what we needed was in the pile. So we whipped on down to the exhaust shop and whipped up some bends. the exhaust machine put some crazy kinks in it. But it's what we had, and we were down to the last build night. We'll get proper bends next time. Still though, pretty serviceable and adds to the appeal of the car. I'm glad we painted it black.

Attached Files:

29. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

More of the Zoomie header build.

Attached Files:

30. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Here's where I have to give some respect to xsparts and 4th street machine. I was a bit dubious on all this stuff they were "calculating", figuring and building for the engine. That thing is a BEAST!! It shakes the building and kinda blew out the audio on my little camera. It's got a great cackle at idle. Got a few air leaks, but we'll have that ironed out before we leave tomorrow for the track. Still need to build new throttle linkage and some minor stuff like that.

I'd say the HUGE amount of time those 2 crazy dudes put into the head and intake was time WELL SPENT!

If we have an honest 240hp and 1800 pounds track ready... That's a decent recipe. I'm gonna put my new guess at low 8's at 85-90 in the 1/8th. Kinda depends on traction. If it all holds together, we'll finally get to play with tire pressure and see what happens. I suspect it's gonna be the tire smoking machine we've been talking about. ;)

When you're done watching the videos, go back one page in the thread and see where we were less than 48 hours ago.

For fun, go ahead and watch this "before" video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOfZtZQO8Xg&feature=related

Now, 30 days later, heavily modified and rebuilt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg8jBMh-hik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANaS8ZBUKXQ

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009