Register now to get rid of these ads!

the H.A.M.B. is going down hill !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skratch, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skratch

skratch

" Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to greasers world wide " ...

we should come together and bring the above quote back !

i'm a traditionalist..well,i like to think so....i do use a mig and tig.but,i learned on a toarch..and my gramps ran shine.my pops raced and pin striped..so that's a tradion..so let's spread the word..

i've seen more post in the last month that has nothing to do with the above quote.or i'm seeing post of cars that are nothing like the quote above..

this is the deal .are we bringing the 70's tradition back ?if so.let me know.i love cameros..i've owned 25 of the second gen.

and just so you know..don't ever form a question as an intro.you will be booted to Q & A.thank you for pointing that out.that's why we have rules.that's why as a monitor you should be monitoring all the Q&A's in the general forums..

[​IMG]

this is from the early 90's..before i could drink.(legally)keeping the tradition alive way before the H.A.M.B.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. nothing stays the same.i haven't been here as long as you, and i have seen some changes too.....but there is still a lot of good stuff

3. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Just remember: 155,000 people die in the world every day. If you're not one of them, it's a good day.

4. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

YEP,ive seen posts about some dumb hippies van to some other retard showing how to paint "whitewalls" on some wide radials.........certainly is going down hill....what a bummer

5. WOW i thought i was having a flashback just then.
    I relpied to your previously 'moved' post, maybe rather fast.

Before writting this i went back and had a look at the post topics on page 1.
    I think there are just a broader spectrum of questions and over time, like most of us, your taste's become more refined, therefore looking for something sweet, your just not as easily pleased. Out of the whole of page one, there are only 1 or 2 O/T posts.

Just my thoughts, for what its worth.

I hope this does not turn into one of the pasts your talking about, that would mean I just added to it. Damn.

6. Burgy

Burgy

skratch your a kickass dude, love seeing you on overhaulin.

Anyways, heres my 2 cents, we tend to misuse the word tradition far too much around here, tradition has nothing to do with bias ply tires, torch welding, quickchanges, flatheads and all that stuff they did and used back in the day, tradition is the act of doing something and passing it on, and in hot-rodding, the tradition is and always will be, to take something that is not fast or cool, and by using any available and affordable methods and technologies, to make it go faster and be cooler. That is true tradition, what we as a whole are doing by replicating, methods or vehicles of the past is more so honoring heritage, and yea I love to see that stuff a lot more than the whole rat roddy, new age, street rod type stuff, I prefer cars that look like they came from the past, but you cant argue innovation or creativity, because that is one of the true traditions of hot-rodding, and unfortunately some people cant put limitations on that creativity and get a little out of hand, or out in left field; and thats where we get these crazy 7"+ chopped, groundscraping model A tudor sedans etc. etc.

anyways, whole moral is, be a bit more wary of the word tradition, when in reality we are simply honoring or paying homage to era's gone by, by replicating what they did, and for me, as someone who's a little new to it, its about the simplicity of what they did, early hot rod's were simple, they had one goal, to go fast, and to achieve that goal they used pure innovation, they didnt have all the newfangled doo-dads and fancy new stuff we have nowadays, they had their minds and their hands, and thats about it.

I've been surfin this site for almost a year now, and I've simply filtered through what I do and dont want to see, and to me its fine, one thing I have noticed however is that by only having one TRUE discussion board, the HAMB, its a little hard and time consuming to find the stuff your interested in, some sub-boards could really help IE.

Hamb
    -traditional rods etc. (obviously the more "traditional" stuff, cars, speed parts etc.)
    -tech topics and questions (self explanatory)
    -oddball rods (VW's, rudy trucks, ratty rides, anything different)
    -slightly off topic (art, culture, day to day stuff, etc.)

7. BBPACER

BBPACER

I'm really glad to see this conversation occur here. I couldn't agree more. I'm new here; an old (57) hotrodder that got roasted the other day over these points. I'm not thin-skinned at all, but some of the "attitude" was surprising. Lot of great stuff here. nevertheless.

8. Actually......The painting whitewalls thing has been floating around here off and on for the last 6 years.
    Someone stated about the attitudes on here. If people would read the intro when they sign up, they would see it states "we're not patient". A lot of the newer crap on here now would not be tolerated several years ago. I've been lurking around here since 2001 and finally joined about a year and a half ago when the search feature went members only. It sucks when you go out of town for several days and can't get to the site. You don't visit the site now, for a few days, and the good shit is 10-15 pages back. It gets bumped by a lot of bullshit posts about newer cars, mini trucks and crap. If you want to talk about those things, there are other boards for that purpose.

9. chopped

chopped

If you read the rules , how many times do we have to say it. This place isn't about 70's cars. So many come here and think we should change to fit their interests. You can have whatever you want, just don't bring it in here.

10. Jimv

Jimv

Don't read the stuff that doesn't appeal to you!! Theres about 30,000 HAMBers now( i think), can't make everyone happy!
    I guess Ricky was trying to tell us something.
    JimV

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

the hamb has been going downhill ever since buddy holly died,,

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

it's still the fastest cat in the alley

13. I don't :)

You can't make everyone happy, that is true. But just because the HAMB has 30,000 members now instead of 3,000 why should the rules & the enforcement of the rules be more lax?

I am a member of a few other boards such as VCCA & you do not talk about Hot Rods or Fords period!

14. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

If the HAMB sucks - it's not the moderators fault.....It's ours....

And please don't argue what IS and what ISN'T trad.

That horse is dead.

15. Redline Rocket

Redline Rocket
    from Rockies

I agree the rules should apply no matter how many users. Read the sticky in the intro section- it's clear to me. I'm not here to be converted to anything else.

16. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

17. I've only got one word for you. SHUT THE FUCK UP AND FINISH STRIPING MY CAR! Ooops, that's 2 words

18. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Talk about going down hill,have you checked out the"SFVISBF" thread.Now thats what I call going down hill.:D

19. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

One of the thing that makes this place cool is it's mostly self - moderating; when someone says something stupid, Ryan and Kevin let us take care of it first and then step in if it gets ugly. Otherwise, we'd be bitchin' about the tightass moderators.

As for it going downhill, I'd say the reduction of the number of prison sex posts as a retort is an improvement.

Finally, I was reading an article on paint on whitewalls last nite - inna 1952 ish of Motor Trend. That - and the topless Belond chick were quite entertaining.

You get whatcha give, man.

20. 53baldmohawk

53baldmohawk
    from Valencia

More post about new babies and i love my wife and shes great:rolleyes:

22. BBPACER

BBPACER

I've read the rules and I got the point real quick. My next post will be about the 53 Ford Flathead I've had sitting in the corner for 30 yrs, or the '60 383 I'm building.

23. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

My uncles dog died today. ooops

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You get back what you put in... If you put shit in, you get shit back...

What's this post? Shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.