Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another idea:

Build a trad - circa about 1950 , flatty style car . . . and build the body to be a 50's style comp coupe. We build a bad-ass flathead - just a bit shy of the legendary full-race 296 cubes (the ole' 3/8 by 3/8 combo loved by all). Maybe we only go 3 5/16 bore -- so the block can be bored again -- so we'll "settle" for 284 cubes. And - if we want, we can go bigger on the stroke and still get more cubes!

We run it on 3 carbs -- 97's would be the ticket as the Holley 2110's (a bit bigger) were not out until the mid-50s.

We build the motor just like they did back in the day -- full port/relief, custom valves, big-ass cam, aluminum hi-comp heads, lightened flywheel, either a dual ignition (Harman Collins) or a mag (which I'd prefer) --> that way we could 'push start' the car while at the drags or Bonneville . . . or put a starter and battery in for other gatherings.

We use a 39 Box, torque tube and a banjo rear - juice brakes all around. MAYBE we can even get somebody to 'donate' a quick change (as it would be nice to have one . . . works for a 1/4 mile, works at Bonneville, etc).

Then we race it at the HAMB drags, look for 'race donations' -- maybe take it to Bonneville the year after. At the smaller cubes, it won't set a record at Bonneville, but it would be damn fun!

Maybe we even have a list of 'donors' lettered on the truck lid of the car -- maybe one name per louver (as it should be heavily louvered - like back in the day).

I'm more than willing to get into this Gig! Especially if I can saddle up with a whole great group of HAMB folks and make it happen.

Ryan and crew . . . let's see if we can make this concept happen!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. I CAN JUST SEE IT COMING TO A CABLE CHANNEL SOON

the WORLD WIDE WONDER HAMB ALTERED MEMBERSHIP BUILD

WWW H.A.M.B..

EXTREME HAMB HOTROD BUILDING ..
    "IT TAKES TRADITIONAL HOTROD COMMUNITY TO BUILD A TRADITIONAL HOTROD"

HAMB CAR BUILDS THE" HOTROD IDOL SERIES"

PROJECTS
    1. 34 COUPE STREET/ STRIP
    2. BONNIVILLE TANKER(I'LL DONATE A BELLY TANK OR 2)
    3. PARTS HAULER KUSTOM PICKUP
    4. THE HAMB RACETEAM SUPPORT TRAILER
    ????

ALL PROJECTS designed/planned by members - by vote
    built by members donated ,fabrication,time , parts
    run by a few chosen members
    touring world wide ,shows ,races,events

promoting the HAMB philosophy,style,brotherhood

a ever evolving car changing as the membership dictates use,
    ,era,engine ,wheels, color ..

think of the changes that some historic cars have gone thru.. changing hands and intended use

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS GO FORWARD
    THOSE DRAMA SEEKERS JUST NEED TO BACK OFF..

I BELIEVE THAT ENOUGH PEOPLE WOULD AND COULD CONTRIBUTE IN THE NAME OF THIS SITES POSITIVE INFLUENCE..

AND IF NOTHING ELSE A "VEHICLE" FOR OUR COMMON BOND.

??? HAS SOME ONE TALLIED ALL THE "DONATIONS"SO FAR???

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Okay. I read half of this, and am on my lunch break, so I had to skip to the bottom to reply. if it has been hashed out, I am sorry.

my only real concern is this-a wise man once said "a street car makes a lousy race car, and vice versa."

point is this. if You try to sway it one direction or the other, good things happen. if You build it with the intention to do "both", generally speaking, you end up with a car that is piss poor in either application.

as far as my 2 cents are concerned, I would go with a drag strip terror. more opportunities arise to actually drive the damn thing. and as far as which period to take it to, my opinion is very, plain and simple.

THIS ONE.
    see, for every "period perfect" car on here, there are about 300 that are damn close, and I assure you the owners have just as much fun driving.

point being this. If I said "Hey, I have a decent 455 Olds core laying around, along with a th400 core, and know guys that can rebuild them both for a pretty decent rate" how many would poo-poo it simply because it does not meet thier personal expectations of how cool it looks sitting still?

it's a race car man...lets make it a fast one.

and that 455...yeah. I have plenty. want one?

4. sled

sled

We need a full line of shirts made also to support the Hamb Coupe project...we got some great artists here that can easily create the supporting stuff...shirts,hats,stickers,pins and????Im in for some shirts of course...

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

ahem. ownership makes for a big pain in the ass with rare exceptions. one of those being a church.

If one of our wayward clergy members were to actually legitimize the H.A.M.B. Chapel, if it , as a sole entity, owned it, then both the insurance for it, and tax liabilities would be a write off for said entity. incidentally, if it were to be raffled off, sold, or shot out of the sun into a giant slingshot, all of the proceeds could then be used for the h.a.m.b members in the greatest need. and ryan wouldn't be bent over a barrel for tax liabilities for donations to the project, either.

Ironically, I am not even close to being religious.
    however, I recognize a working example of a tax shelter when I see one. (or at least, that's my story, and I'm stickin to it.)
    Your local hell raising, beer drinking, evil bastard,
    Lux blue

6. Abomination

Abomination

I think if this was done annually and raffled, it could increase memberships!

~Jason

7. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

like I stated before I vote #3 Ryan merely looks at the paperwork and says yay or nay and from there the secretary does all other paperwork/footwork or delegates work. This relinquishes Ryan from this busywork and more importantly keeps him and the HAMB legally separated in case of lawsuits and such. Also establishes trust in the company from HAMB members because Ryan gave the nod. Trust needed for donations of time, workspace, parts, and money.

I like these rules

8. Just look at the HAMBers that have replied --- cool to see how many are 'Old School', 'Senior', 'Alliance Members', 'Grenade Inspectors', etc . . . lots of guys who are really into this, have paid their HAMB dues and really GET what this community is all about. There is a wide swath of members on this thread -- down to new FNGs. Some get it and some don't . . . but the longer you've been an active member of this gig, the more you probably have adopted its culture and what it is all about.

We're strong together . . . lets build something together . . . then build something again . . .

9. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I haven't heard back from Ryan all week and I'm wondering...if he is not interested in this how is he going to tell us? This has gained a lot of momentum and he would face looking bad if he said "no - too complicated".

I think we should start looking for another solution that doesn't presuure Ryan into taking on this project. All I know is that this coupe needs to be moved. If nothing can be decided soon I'll just auction it off to the membership and the idea was good but couldn't get any wings which would amuse many more members I'm sure. I'm glad this is an "entertaining" thread to some but I was actually serious and I'm really not used to moving this slow on things.

Who wants to buy it for $1.00 and take on this project?

10. stromberg

stromberg

I wish I had more to offer than just saying this is a great idea, and it could work if people really wanted it to. Its just like a C.C. building a car together, only here there are way more people and resources.

11. If the coupe is going to run at the drags and Bonneville, better figure on a non traditional roll cage right from the get go.
    That's the best way to build the car. No title needed. No state licensing or inspection.
    I would suggest the car to be put in the name of a separate corporation's name to put a firewall between Ryan's current business interests, and any potential liability issues down the road.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill, old buddy of ours...don't get too discouraged yet. Let's give it a couple of more days, and see if Ryan gets back to us. I do hope that he's actively looking into this, as opposed to just hoping it'll go away. Anyway...if we don't get Ryan's OK, I think we can still do this. We wouldn't have to use the actual hamb logo, yet still able to name it HAMBERED or something similar...or not. But darn it, sure would feel be neater if we had the support of the whole hamb community...that, in my opinion is the best part of this idea. It just wouldn't seem the same if we couldn't do that. Ryan?...are ya there? Ryan?...knock-knock.

13. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

The more I think about it the more that makes sense. Ryan should not be asked to take on this responsibility. He's done enough to bring and keep this community together. Instead of adding more tasks to his list we should be building this car as an homage to the board. All we really need from Ryan is to ok the use of the H.A.M.B. name and banner to tie this car into this forum. But now we have to either build a corporation or someone has to run this project through one their companies. I can't do it because I'm not a US citizen so someone is going to have to step up.

If anyone can figure out a way that I can do this from this side of the pond, speak up, but I'm guessing it'll have to be done stateside.

Several people have taken the time to write me personally advising that this will never get off the ground. It's obvious that the odds are overwhelming against me but someone had to try. If this fails, I'm glad it was me. The easiest thing in the world is to sit back and say "this will never happen" but all great achievements require great risks and I really believe this is a good idea. If we can fly to the moon and discover electricity we can surely build a car together.

P.S. Thanks for all the offers to buy the coupe for $1.00! I think a few of you misunderstood. It wasn't for "thanks for the $1.00 coupe". It was to own the coupe and take over the project steering and ownership.

P.P.S. Way more emails of support have been received though and I chose to focus on those. Thanks for those of you who have taken the time to right to me in support of the concept.

14. RichG

RichG

Don't get impatient Bill, it's only been a couple of days since you floated this idea, Ryan'll get back to you I'm sure.

...as for people writing to you and telling you this will never get off the ground, uh, what makes them experts? Have they ever tried to do something like this on the Hamb before? Just because there are negative people in the world doesn't mean their opinions are worth more than the hot air they're made up of. Ignore the B.S. Bill, this will come together in one guise or another, these things do take time to plot though.:D

If I had anything worth donating I'd do it in an instant, if simply to just shut the negative nellys up, but I don't, so I'll settle for putting some cash towards this when things congeal.

Stay the course bubba!

15. GaryC.

GaryC.

Someone suggested a salt flats car....
    Here's some food for thought.

Attached Files:

16. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Interesting Idea...however I don't think it will ever happen.

Now if at the end the car were sold to the highest H.A.M.B. bidder and the proceeds went to Ryan and the H.A.M.B. I think you would have no problem getting free parts, labor and donations.

Gary

17. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Id be willing to donate a set of 1963 Mickey Thompson wheels for it!

18. RichG

RichG

Why?

19. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thank you B&S! With my front spindle mounts that's the 60s dragster look complete right there. I'm resisting making a master list of parts rght at the moment because I think that's possibly putting the cart before the horse. If this get's off the ground there will be threads to organise everything.

Gary, sounds like you have some experience in these matters. Would love to hear anything you think would help to make sure this project comes together. Also interested in why you think the car needs to be sold (and lost forever to the community) for it to be a success? If people want to help Ryan they can simply sell their parts and give him a donation to help the board. I'm talking about something bigger. This car could get a lot of press and attention because it's a unique vehicle that would help so many people (through tech articles, fun and raising money for charity). I think it's way than about cash donations to the board. I respect your position, I'm just trying to get a bit more of an insight into it.

Plus, he's not been well but it's not about impatience for Ryan's blessing or participation (though I'm certainly revving for this to get some legs), it's more about thinking as much of this through (now in the early stages) so it gets the right platform to support it and build longevity into the idea. This might turn into a permanent thing so to get it right in the beginning is vitally important.

I think a wise goal would be to (as many have pointed out) discuss a way to keep the ownership arrangements as simple and basic as possible - just like the way we like our cars.

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I haven't said anything before now as I wanted to see if it would grow legs. A few years ago I suggesed the same thing only it was for a salt car. At that time the interest in salt racing here on the board was just gaining momentum. In fact, after a few went to Bonneville and actually got the fever there were at least a couple of dozen that said they were going to build a car and planned to run. So...........I suggested that we could research a soft class record (if there were such an animal) build a community car utilizing the abundant talent in all phases of car crafting represented here and make a united effort..........thus ensuring a greater chance of sucess than a bunch of guys going off in a dozen directions with individual efforts. The idea went over like a lead balloon and died a quick death due everyone wanting to "grab the glory" for themselves and become the next "Pierson Brothers" or "Mickey Thompson".
    I can see this dancing down the same path, Lots of smoke...............no fire. The same reason that's been skirted already will ultimately be it's demise and thats the fact that Ryan doesn't need this kind of aggravation putting his seal of approval on it and getting the HAMB involved. That coupled with the fact this kind of thing NEVER comes off like planned demands cooler heads prevail at the outset and not let the inevitable gain traction. Now............back to my first thoughts. One year after everyone was on fire for Bonneville NOT ONE CAR was being built or seriously planned among all of the HAMB community. Ryan, what say you?

Frank

21. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Frank.

Your post is three things...

1) Clearly based on relevant experience

2) Coming from a good place

3) A real worry.

Mmmm.

22. Jettback50

Jettback50

H ack A ssembled by M any B ums

23. Jettback50

Jettback50

I like "HAMBered Down"

Why has no one suggested registering it as a rental? Seems like a good way to cover most things.

24. I'm not an expert in this, but maybe a 'not for profit' corporation? I've seen some of the cars that certain religious organizations build -- with help from a range of donors, manufacturers, etc . . . with the construction of the car the goal in the end. Helping kids along the way, etc . . .

1) Non-Profit and Tax Exempt ???:

Any business lawyers on here (or do you know somebody who you can shop this idea to?) -- that might know the scoop on forming a non-profit HotRod corporation . . . such that we have a way to build some 'collective cars', not put anybody in a liability situation, can collect money/donations and not be taxed, etc?

I think we need a way for this to be tax exempt -- and for there to be a corporate entity to protect everybody involved. Everything has to be 'above board' -- clear, clean, simple and not a back-room or shady deal that puts our asses in a sling.

2) Shops and People in CO?:

The real challenge is finding a group of local people and/or workshops that are willing to take on a collective project. If we do this right, there could be some good advertising and marketing - which helps the businesses/people who participate. I'm not out that way, so there isn't a possibility for me to handle the physical car . . . though I'm more than happy to help in other ways (as noted before).

3) Setting the Bar to a Minimum Height:

Also, we can always put an entity together where there are certain goals that must be met before anything of substance happens. That way, we kind of have to "put our money, time and parts" where our mouth is -- and nobody has to start anything until we've hit a certain amount of "investment" to guarantee this idea actually has legs . . . and isn't just a dream with no backing. The car goes into storage/limbo -- we determine what is the minimum necessary to start the project -- if we hit it, great . . . if not, all bets are off and we go back to 'Plan B', which is not ours to decide.

25. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I think it is good to take some time to let this initiative sink in. If it is a good idea today, it will be a good idea in a week or two, or a month or two. There is no hurry to get started. A sense of urgency is great, but it can sometimes cloud good judgement (remember "call before you crush"?).

I think having a HAMB sanction build would be fun and could be rewarding but also could fall flat like some have said. I don't understand the details that would make this work. But the more simple the better!

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks for all the input. Some good ideas coming out.

That would be nice but I've got a coupe that needs a home and the real understanding that momentum is required as well as patience. I've had some kind offers from members who are offering to pick it up but I'd rather not impose on that generosity.

27. 55chevr

55chevr

Still enjoying the entertainment provided by this thread ... Good stuff ... Joe

28. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

That's the second time you've said that Joe. We get it. You think it's a stupid idea and will never get off the ground. Thanks for your sarcastic input. Pure class.

29. jfrolka

jfrolka

sounds like a build you should do with a couple local buddys... your gonna catch too much bs from everybody on here.. it'd be cool to see just a straight up build done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.