Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "GLITCH" Post.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by REVEREND JAKE, May 28, 2006.

1. I figgered this a worthy post to help warn others before they get too far in building their car.

My "GLITCH" resides in the 92 camaro 305 I put in my 58 Del Ray. The motor went in just like it belongs there. We installed all of the components and prepared to fire it off.

We primed the motor and it would kick over, but the new manual fuel pump I bought wasn't supplying gas. We pulled the pump (thinking the rod was positioned wrong), compressed the spring and it worked fine. Installed the pump and still NO FUEL.

Turns out, the stock camshaft has NO LOBE FOR A MANUAL FUEL PUMP!!! I HAVE to run an electic pump unless I run a new camshaft(I apt for the electric pump).

So there you have it. Be leary on late model Chevy V8's. The block casting is the same, but there is no lobe on the camshaft to compress a manual fuel pump.

Reverend Jake

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Yeah, some of them are blanked off, some aren't, but neither have the correct cam. That shit sucks.............

3. Also some of these newer small blocks are externally balanced...[305"/ 350"]
    It was Not only the 400 and big blocks that were done this way..... some that came with MANUAL transmissions had this "feature" as well.....
    I ran into this-
    a '92 305 from a Camaro and a '92 350 from a pickup....
    [both were factory 5 speeds].....
    problem is the 305 fitted with the 350's flywheel on it shook at idle- it was not balanced the same- plus we could not use the car flywheel as it was a smaller diameter and of course smaller pressure plate and clutch too....

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

It didn't have a different bolt circle? I thought mine had a different bolt circle and that's how I knew it was an odd ball...

5. Steve M

Steve M

I've been down that road.

I installed a 400 small block in a car and when I tried to bolt on the power steering I discovered that the bolt holes wern't all drilled. Do you have any idea how much fun it is to drill and tap a hole in a block while laying across a fender?

6. Gator

Gator

Does anyone know if small block Fords have the same deal? I'm running a Holley 'red' electric pump now but I'd prefer a mechanical. I know the timing chain housing would have to be changed or modified because it's blanked off, but I never thought about the cam....

Good info Jake.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

That's going to depend on what year SBF yur talkin'.....
    If, it's a post '85 EFI motor don't look for a cam lobe, if, it's a HO 5.0 with
    the roller cam, than don't put any money behind a lobe on that cam either.
    Some of the truck motors, and some of the Canada bound 5.0s of the era
    did have the lobe.
    Bottom line, you'll have ta look at your cam to know.

Swankey Devils C.C.

8. Bugman

Bugman

Thats the price you pay for a factory Roller cam.

9. I knew some motors are internally balanced and other externally. A buddy of mine had that problem putting a 4.3 out of a 96 S10 in an 87. He had to change to the 87 balancer and flywheel. It fixed it.

I never imagined my motor not having the lobe for the pump. I see the reason behind it. GM has run electric fuel pumps for years now, so retooling the cam was cost efficient. However retooling the entire block would be counterproductive since they knew they were going to scrap that motor design in a few years anyway.

Reverend Jake

10. Gator

Gator

Yup, shoulda clarified that, it is a later engine, and all roller drivetrain. So yeah, I'll have to get in there and see what I have.