Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The dreaded what's a 327 worth thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewk, Feb 9, 2017.

1. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

There only scarce for some people not .
    It really AIN'T all that bad finding them .
    Just had the boys tear down another
    FREE 327 now if i could get a 283 free...lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    lewk likes this.
  2. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

My 40 sports a .30 over 327
    I actually won a new crate 350 and sold it to put in an interior.
    My buddies asked Why?
    I just said that 327 runs strong why mess with it.
    Good luck with your find let us know how it flies.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Montana1 likes this.
  3. aldixie

aldixie

I had a 66 with the 300hp 2.02 heads. Had it up for sale for a couple of months and no takers for $400. In the end I traded it for a vintage Tunnel ram for my project.

4. My brother has a 327 hoard, some really nice engines in his collection. Of course he's had them forever and they were practically free at the time. Personally, only a '68ish large journal 327 would get my attention. Just my preference and also it has the PCV set up.

I did up a 350 I had laying around back in 2015 into 2016, the only things used were the block and crank, which needed a cut. If I had to do some engine shopping, I'd probably opt for a complete short block. The whole engine is good if you need peripherals like all the brackets and such. Always grab the starter even if for a core.

5. good thought about the peripherals Bob. matching pulleys and brackets have a value all their own. plus the "right" hardware, wire clamps etc....

ring gap, BradinNC and Montana1 like this.
  6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

I had a 327 . I spent over $500 on these heads to rebuild them, which included port-matching to the intake and mild porting.
    Are they as good as new, aftermarket heads....probably not. Did I pay more for less horsepower, probably. But they are real-live, original Chevrolet 327 high-performance heads, with the correct camel-hump casting markings and no accessory holes. This completes the awesome vintage 327 I wanted. It runs great and I have no regrets.[/QUOTE] I did the same thing .. put it in my 34 pu . my engine 1962 vintage.

30tudor and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. I did the same thing .. put it in my 34 pu . my engine 1962 vintage.[/QUOTE]
    If you have something like that where the heads aren't cracked or otherwise problem children, by all means go for it. My brother has a 327/365 and the camel hump heads were part of that success story. The heads on my 350 were smoggers and had to go. The cost of fixing up a pair of 882 heads warranted a change to aftermarket aluminum heads.

8. I painstakingly hung onto everything that went with my '68 327 and used it on my current SBC build. I had everything, every nut bolt and washer saved.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Unless you can hear it run, hard to say what it's worth. basically a core. the more original stuff with it makes it worth more
    I'm putting one together now, and it's hard finding original ( looking at least) parts for the "outside".
    1968 was a LONG time ago! ( year I went in the ARMY)

Attached Files:

10. Oilguy

Oilguy

I am putting together a 66 motor for my 62. Not matching numbers for sure but the casting numbers are correct. I paid $700 for the motor, std bore with intake and carb, transmission and torque converter. Not a "smoking" deal but it was complete. I have the old 327 short block on Craigslist for $200.
    I hate those reproduction wire guides so I sandblasted some old ones and gave them a couple of coats of Plasti Dip. I think they look a lot better than the shiny, thin metal repops. So I am going to do the same for my OT Malibu.

Attached Files:

slowmotion and tb33anda3rd like this.
  11. I bought my 62, 327 from a friend that passed away wife for 300.00. No information on it at all. Just that I knew the guy and if he had it I just knew it was a good motor at least to rebuild. Turned out it had 461X heads and was in great shape with no cracks. Did a complete over haul with new pistons 30 over, valve job, new cam & lifters. Total cost to build right at 3 grand. It is one bad ass runner. Put it in my 32 Ford 3 window with a 5 speed and a quick change. I could not be more happy as this motor screams. Put over 13K on it the first year with no problems....Love them 327's

12. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Here's an update. I still haven't seen the '65 motor my neighbor has, but I scored a '67 327 with '65 461 camel humps for $150 off of Craigslist. I've got the heads off, and everything looks ok so far. I still need to clean it all and check out the bottom end.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Bumping this old thread up. After years of yearly visits a old hoarder has decided to let me start buying stuff from him.
    There are over 100 283/327 engines sitting around.Most have sat outside and in Minnesota that means rain snow freeze thaw.Almost all have the air cleaners still on them.At $50 each I am tempted but dang,that's a lot of heavy work.
    Over 100 Ford/Chrysler/Other Gm engines as well.
    After reading this thread I'm not sure they are worth saving.Valve covers,brackets,461/2 heads and anything 4 barrel could sweeten the deal but it's still a ton of work not to mention cost to transport. 4 hour round trip.
    They also changed the rules at my local scrap iron buyer.All engines must have the pan removed or 3 holes punched in pan to prove no oil left inside so that is a concern as far as just scrapping them.
    I'll sit back and read the comments pro and con.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

Man, @$50 a piece would be worth at least one trip to pick the cherries. Never know what you might find.

15. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Oh man, at $50 a pop I might have to go and gamble $200 just to play around. Surely there's some gold among the stuck and cracked blocks.