Register now to get rid of these ads!

History THE DOUG THOMPSON INTERVIEW: BUILDING JACK WALKER'S "HIROHATA MERC" CLONE...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonnie King, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

SPECIAL NOTE: To all my friends here at the H.A.M.B.

upload_2017-7-22_14-12-35.jpeg
    This is a Special Feature that I wanted to share with you: It's the one-on-one Story & Oral History from Doug Thompson on building Jack Walker's "Hirohata Merc" Clone. It contains many rare photos and complete Info from Doug on EVERYTHING concerned with the build !

Many, many hours of work in this project, and I wanted to use it as a Feature Presentation for the TENTH ANNIVERSARY of the Hall Of Fame Legends Series. Both Doug, and Jack, are old friends and Doug gave me his complete help, support, and rare info...as well as many personal photos from his collection/archive, and as much time as we needed so that we could accomplish this together.

For those of you have seen Jack & the "Hirohata Merc" Clone since it debuted in 1984, you will surely want to hear Doug' story. For those of you who are new to the R&C scene, you will learn about a most-valuable piece of our history...and how it began. More than that, you'll learn how important Hall Of Famer Doug Thompson has been to our Industry.

IN DOUG'S Interview, he covers & documents ALL of the story: Why he wanted to build the car to begin with, why Jack wanted him to build a Merc, AND, what George Barris thought about the Merc when he saw it ! HERE IS THE DIRECT LINK TO DOUG'S PAGE http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage32.html

My sincere thanks to ALL my friends here at the H.A.M.B. for TEN GREAT YEAR'S of your help & support...helping to support the Oral Histories & Stories of the Pioneers/Legends of the R&C Industry on the Hall Of Fame Legends Series. And if you'd like to send the Link to any you think might want to see & hear this FANTASTIC story please do !!

(PS: This is built for "The Big Screen" ! You'll view it best on a Desktop or Laptop...you'll lose most of the dimensions & "visual balance" if you try to see it on a iphone/smart phone. Thanks in advance.)

Respectfully,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    kidcampbell71, Sancho and Hank37 like this.
  2. 'Mo

'Mo

Geez, Jonnie. That mists me up!
    Talk about a story teller! Drop the gate, and let her run!
    Bless you for sharing.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Terrific story! I was attending the Leadsled where the clone debuted, and it was truly a magical event! Huge admirer of Doug's work!

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got to sit in the drivers seat of that car while Jack sat shotgun and talked about how the car was built. Good guy, great car.

-Abone.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

'Mo...
    Thanks so much ! I had the same feelings as Doug told it to me. He's truly "one of the unsung heroes" of the Industry...except for those who have seen his work & met him.

I wanted this story to reach ALL here on the H.A.M.B. 'cause Doug will turn 80 next month, has had many health problems, and deserves this recognition at this time in his life.

Jonnie

Sancho and Moriarity like this.
  6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

chopolds...
    How fantastic that memory must still be ! Thank you for sharing that Info !
    All of Doug's builds were just, as you say, "magical" ! No two were ever alike...that was one of his rules...and that's where the magic came in !

You can hear that passion in his voice in the Interview; http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage32.html

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Sancho likes this.
  7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

-Abone...
    Great story...and yes, Jack is a great guy ! Doug gives him full credit for putting up the funds to build the Merc...you'll hear that in the Interview.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage32.html

ALSO, if any of you have any Doug Thompson, or, Jack Walker stories please share them with us ! Doug built plenty of cool customs in a career that spanned over 50 years !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Doug and I talked the other night and he was just very excited & happy ! Said to thank everyone here at the H.A.M.B. for taking the time to see his Page and hear his story. He told me this is about the BEST 80th Birthday (August 5th) present he could ever get !!

He's heard from a number of his old pals since this was Posted...and it just makes him feel so good that everyone likes his work, even those who've never met him but have seen his cars in mags & in-person. You can sense the consummate Pro, and truly nice guy he is in the Interview: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage32.html

Thanks from me too !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hi, again to all !

Just a reminder that today is Doug Thompson's 80th Birthday ! I'll be talking to him later tonight, and if anyone would like to give me a greeting, or, send best wishes to him, please let me know and I'll forward them to Doug !

AND, in case you haven't heard his stories & info on building this iconic "Hirohata Merc" Clone, here's the Link once more for you. Doug's one of the all-time best, and you'll find out how intent his was in getting this legendary project underway & keeping it on schedule: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage32.html