Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The dirty 36 project **update**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Cshabang

Cshabang

nice stance, really digging the wires.....i had to make half rails for my buddies 38 pick up frame exactly where you did...haha-damn x member

2. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

real stoked about these shock towers!!, I made them to fit under the fender, so the shock towers don't go into the engine bay

Attached Files:

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

Sorry, but your shocks aren't likely to do much dampening in a vertical position...otherwise the build looks great and I love the color scheme you're planning for it...

4. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

sorry ruiner, you have to know the spring/shock combination to determine the degree that the shocks should be mounted. A stiffer shock should be mounted at an angle to create a cantilever effect, this is used in combination with a softer spring. I am using a heavier spring and a softer shock, to account for the larger engine, in this application there is no need for an angled shock, all though you are correct that an angled shock creates a much better ride, thanks alot for the input!!!

5. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

the engine is painted.

chevy orange,I still have to paint the script on the valve covers. I'm not using the louvered air cleaner, I,m working on getting a stock 58 chevy one right now. I am going to adapt a 64 buick fan to fit on it, the one that came with the 283 sucks

Attached Files:

6. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

this isn't the exact air cleaner i am using, but i think you'll get the idea of what i'm going for.

Attached Files:

7. hotdamn

hotdamn

dirty,
    you are killing me man.

your truck looks so damn good!

if you ever want a 54 bel-air instead let me know and we can make some stuff happen:)

seriously though, looks great!

8. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Hi Steve......Pickups gunna look Great........but if you ever need to drop that Gearbox out.......is there enough room to slide it back & down or will you have to take out Engine & Gearbox together through the top. :cool: :)

9. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I will have to remove the driver side manifold to take out the gear box but thats it.

10. rat seeker

rat seeker

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome work man, very cool indeed!

12. Gettin lots done eh! I gotta get on my '35 Phaeton soon, well actually I just flattened the rear x-member the other night, gotta put it back in now. I'm digging the shockmounts, should work gooder!
    The lil 283 looks spiffy!

-Shiny

13. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

notched out the stock column and coverted it to a DD.

Attached Files:

14. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

this is the mess of a firewall that some a-hole messed up in the 80s trying to build a street rod. I don't have $400 to spend on a new one, so I am going to have to spend a lot of time fixing this one, and it is already butchered to fit a small block, so I would hate to have to cut a good one out anyways

Attached Files:

15. Hey Dirty, the engine looks great. I've got a t-5 behind my 283. I had a clutch package put together at a local shop that is basically a stock type 283 clutch splined to match the t-5 input shaft. I haven't put it all together yet permanently, unfortunately. When I was researching mine, I talked to a guy at Cornhusker (I think) Rod Shop. I seem to remember something about an Astro van clutch , but it's been a couple of years...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  16. 3spd

3spd

I know you already decided on a color but matte orange with cream fenders would be the bees knees. Great looking truck!

Ryland

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

Don't forget to cover that shaft up after the DD... you'll get water in your box!! Nice work bud!!

18. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Sweet project. What's going on with the rest of that 38? I could use some parts.......

19. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I have some 38 parts left, but I sold the body already

20. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Hi Steve.......this is what we did with mine.:);)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I feel for the poor '38. That thing would make a righteous sloper. But, then again, a '36 truck with car front tin is always pretty cool too.

22. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

well, the 38 was bought by a Hamber, its going to be turned into a vintage stock car, from what I have seen the guy does great work so I am excited to see it. I was never really into the humpback sedans so It wasn't my kind of build.

23. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

couple pics of the firewall, I had to cut like the whole driver side out, and re-stamp it. I am very limited on tools, so I stamped it with a block of wood a piece of pipe, and hammer.

Attached Files:

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Gotta do whatcha gotta do... looks good to me! I like fixing firewalls, it's a satisfying task.:D

25. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Okie dokey.:)

26. Sweet!!
    Just found this thread today. (thanks to somebody else's wife)
    And I gotta say I love it!!
    Keep up the good work and the pics coming!!

27. Pingar

Pingar

Nice project. I Like what you have done with limited tools as you said it. Firewall looks great.

28. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Could you post some photos of the original pedals adapted to the speedway set up? Lots to look at for my '36 build here. thanks

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great project... Looks like it's coming along nicely and I'm really glad you are keeping the fenders on it!!

Malcolm