Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The deuce in the (pole) barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

During my roadster build I found an old pair of kinda weathered '46 Chevy tail lights in the shop. I thought these will fit my AV8 perfectly since it's pretty weathered too. A year later I looked at the pic of the back of fab32's coupe from the 70s and noticed those lights. Oops, looks like I owe the coupe a set of '46 Chevy lights.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

belair likes this.
  2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing story and a great way to honor your friend .

Lucky77 likes this.
  3. Lucky77

Lucky77

Here's a quick update on fab32's coupe. I ditched the stock cross member and hacked up K member the got the rails back in the jig. While trying to straighten the steering box area we found a crack and a bad braze job repair. Plus the Hurst bolt in motor mounts left four big holes in the chassis so I just cut out the whole section and replaced it with new metal.

Tonight I finally got everything mocked up in the rear so I can tack both crossmembers in, pop it out of the jig, bolt on the suspension and make sure the car sits right. I'm still waiting to hear back on some Chassis Engineering legs for the center section, then I'll just run that Pete & Jake's ladder bar mount through them then get to boxing the chassis. So I'm making progress, one step closer to returning this coupe to the streets.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

HEMI32, dwollam, koolkemp and 4 others like this.
  4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Nice restoration work. Many more frames could have been saved in the hands of folks like you.

Lucky77 likes this.
  5. Keep up the good work. He'd be proud!

Is that your frame jig?

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Looking good! Nice save on the chassis.

Lucky77 likes this.
  7. Lucky77

Lucky77

I think fab32 built it but I got it from Dennis (Harm's Way)

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

I took the chassis out of the jig last night. Bolted everything on then set the body on to see how everything lines up. I'm happy with it, back into the jig to weld it up for good. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. brady1929

brady1929

Nice hot rod

Lucky77 likes this.
  10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Dude car looks AWESOME and shop is looking great can't wait to see her on the road

Lucky77 likes this.
  11. Lucky77

Lucky77

In case anyone is wondering, I'm still plugging away at fab32's old 5 window. I have the three main crossmembers welded in and I've moved onto the boxing plates. I have to extend them a bit on both sides. Frank mentioned getting a deal on some plates that were cut wrong. I think I found them...

After that all I have to do is the center section and pedals then this chassis can come out of the jig and I can start bolting stuff back on. My goal was to have it as a roller by fall and I think I'm still on schedule. I'm still driving his deuce sedan as well. I'm supposed to take my roadster to the Hot Rod Hillclimb in Colorado next month, but it needs some updates. The sedan is ready to go and I got the okay to bring it if the roadster isn't done.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

HEMI32, dwollam, 47ragtop and 6 others like this.
  12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Scott thanks for the update and great to see your still at it. Its great to see the 32 sedan breathing fire smoke again it's a awesome hotrod

Lucky77 likes this.
  13. Lucky77

Lucky77

Quick update on fab32's five window. The chassis is almost done and I have the engine in the test stand getting it ready to fire. Frank always called it his NASCAR engine, not sure why? But it's definitely a circle track piece, maybe from a NASCAR late model. Angle plug Brodix aluminum heads, lightweight crank, roller rockers, stud girdles, blah blah blah....Not super traditional, but I threw a tri power and finned valve covers on it so it'll look cool, should be pretty quick too. I put the body back on it to check my wheel placements, everything looks good. Got the engine location and mounts welded in as well. I'm still on schedule to debut it at Autorama Detroit and as of today you'll probably see it in Cleveland too. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Lucky77

Lucky77

I'm almost done with the chassis on Frank Burrell's (fab32) deuce coupe. I just installed the center section legs from Union Speed and Style. Just a few more brackets and mounts and it'll be ready for some paint. I'm going to leave as much of the Honduras Maroon on it as I can and just cover up the new metal and places I had to grind off the paint. On the body its self the paint job is cleaning up really nicely. Two months till Autorama.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Man alive, no way I can't subscribe, gotta see this through. You're doing it proud!

Lucky77 likes this.
  16. elgringo71

elgringo71

The coupe is coming out great. I think that Frank would be proud and I'm surprised how well that paint is cleaning up.

17. Lucky77

Lucky77

Just over a month till Autorama. I took an overnight trip to my pal Clay's company, DefenseCoat down in Richmond, VA and had him powder coat my wheels. While that was going on I took the finished chassis to a local painter who's trying to match the Corvette Honduras Maroon. It's close, and honestly closer to the body color than the original paint was. I got my tires mounted, my Moser axles showed up, and I'm just waiting on the 3.70 gears so I can put the rear end together. I get the chassis Saturday night then it's on to final assembly. It's crazy to think that after four decades, this coupe is getting very close to moving under its own power.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

What a great story, I unearthed my 32 after a 35 year slumber and I was struck how similar these 2 looked . My 32 is painted 1955 olds Garnet red and has been on the car since the 50's . The colors of these 2 in my eyes are almost a perfect match , if thats of any help with the color. IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1482.JPG

19. Lucky77

Lucky77

What a great looking 5 window.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

flatheadtommy likes this.
  20. Oh,I love your coupe,looks very very nice.best ride from Germany

flatheadtommy likes this.
  21. What a great story

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.