Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Corvair Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 12, 2017.

1. I hope you remembered to bring along a lense from a welding helmet to view the corona. Wish I was there to watch it..
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'll bet you wont get any closer than 92.96 million miles away.
    Just sayin....

williebill, j-jock and loudbang like this.
  3. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Too cool!!!! My first car was a '63 Corvair Monza. I loved it!!!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

My speedo did the screeching death wail with the dancing, needle too. I was bummed at the time because it was the only gauge in the cluster that worked! And....I had to extend the tailpipe a bit as it would gas me out as well!!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Eclipse is one hour and three minutes away. I have my welding helmet handy, in case I want to watch.
    I'm concerned about my brown chocolate Lab, Annie. She's always looking up, as we have wild geese that fly over, just clearing the roof of the house...
    Anything 'unusual' in the air, Annie spots it.
    Some 'ultralites' fly over, Annie barks. She also barks at the Medivac helicopter, which lands at the CHP office 100 yds away.
    What's Annie gonna think when they 'turn the sun out'?

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hmm, glad you mentioned that Mike. I better do something too.

[​IMG]

7. Good point.
    Jim, did the countless godless hoards descend upon poor little Arco as predicted? And did you find accommodations, with cell service? Those are pretty rare out there too.

8. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

[​IMG] Ready...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel, quick, you only have a few minutes left! You must immediately tear through some small town in that Corvair. Then, when the cops pull you over, puff yourself up and declare you will use the power of your mind to blot out the sun unless they tear up the ticket.

I hear it's worked before...

Fabber McGee, czuch, blowby and 5 others like this.
  10. they say shade 14 min. for the lens.

loudbang and czuch like this.
  11. Friend just told me to use my binoculars to stream the image onto the ground. Had to line them up about a foot above the driveway, and the projected image showed up perfect on the drive. DO NOT Look through the binoculars with your eyes!!!

loudbang likes this.
  12. We had #14 welding glass at work and made some quick and dirty viewers which worked well.

loudbang likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I met up with my son and his friend in Arco. We drove up past Mackay, off a side road to where they figured the exact center of totality would be. Just a few others were camping there. The boys had a tent so I got to sleep in their car. Slightly more comfy than the Corvair but still kind of chilly. Waited in the morning for the sun to get dark. It did. Night fell a half hour before noon. Wild. I left while it was dark. A minute later, it got light again. Probably the only Corvair to ever drive during a total eclipse.

[​IMG]

14. We were in the 90 percent zone and it was a big yawn compared to the eclipse in 1979. I am happy that so many people got to see this because it is magical.

warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  15. LAROKE

LAROKE

Did you have to reboot the solar panel :D

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Fast Corvair, go from daylight to dark back to daylight in just a few minutes!

czuch and loudbang like this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Stacked a pair of #10 lenses in my big window helmet and it worked great. We had about 96% here in west central GA.

18. catdad49

catdad49

Back when I was a wee lad my nick name was Squirrel ( because I could run Fast), but I never had any adventures like you! Please be Safe out there!!

loudbang likes this.
  19. rgdavid

rgdavid

That made me spit coffee, excelent...lol

loudbang and firstinsteele like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

The little car is still running OK. Not much hill climbing power in 6000 foot air in Utah. Might be home tonight, or I might not.

[​IMG]

t-rod, hotrodharry2, pat59 and 8 others like this.
  21. Like the dash clutter in this shot. Maybe needs a rubber chicken in there somewhere. :p Can't believe somebody didn't make eclipse glasses with a fake nose and mustache though... :rolleyes:

blowby and loudbang like this.
  22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Keepin' the Halon handy. Ralph would be proud.:D
    Safe travels Squirrel.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Think "the little air cooled that could"!
    An 11:30 departure from north of Mackey should have put you south of SLC last night, barring unforeseen catastrophe. Home would seem possible today, and "oh so worth it". Dorothy was right! Click your heels.

loudbang likes this.
  24. I hope you have good rubber on the car. I hate to say this because we will have more than our share of wet stuff in a few months, but we could sure use some of that wet weather. How is your solar charger working right now?

loudbang likes this.
  25. 71% in NY and it never made much of a difference if any. But it was a clear day. This picture was from one of the cardboard tube viewers we made up.
    eclipse.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

Stopped at Glen Canyon Dam. Back in Arizona again, been a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty country up here.

John B, rjones35, pat59 and 10 others like this.
  27. Beautiful pictures. I didn't know that Glen Canyon Dam was that big a structure. I was hoping for a second that it was a shot of the Hoover Dam from the new highway, but I would assume you can't stop on the bridge.

loudbang likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

I've been over the new bridge over the hoover Dam several times. It's very fast and very boring. I like the time saving. I miss the drive over the Dam.

loudbang likes this.
  29. They did,I thought all the QT gas stations in the country had them. HRP

old farts.jpg

30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, you can't see nothing from the bridge, the sides are high, all you can see is straight ahead or back. I assume they didn't want the rubber necking, but damn, that would be a great view from up on that bridge.

loudbang likes this.