Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Car Clubs Of Sepulveda Blvd.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Don, maybe in the 50's what the car clubs did was considered "good natured fun". Maybe is wasn't. I don't know. I was a little kid. But the difference is that graffiti all but did not exist back then, so this might have been somewhat overlooked.
    Today it's all lumped in together as one. There's no such thing as "good" or "bad" graffiti.
    I wrote the law making it against the law here in my city in 1993. It was all because some wealthy pud was painting a skateboard make's name on the local street signs. Not in my town you're not. The new law allowed the City to go after violators and their parents for the cost of clean-up. Screw 'em.
    Times have changed and the idea of fun has too.
    Most all car clubs in the 50's were mostly good kids. In my hometown they participated with the police departments with economy runs, safety seminars and kid's bicycle "rodeos". Those clubs were very helpful with fundraisers and helping stranded motorists. Most all clubs had members that were clean-cut kids who enjoyed their cars and the companionship that the clubs provided.
    So, because of that, the hillside featured here was possibly not considered as offensive as it would be viewed today.
    Everything is different today. No two guys know that more than you and me, Don.

2. The internet is wonderfull. Took me 30 seconds to see what you were talking about.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/pinklady.asp

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

It's too bad, but a written law cannot define "art" from "graffiti". The line is too thin.

Who has photos of that hillside on the way to Bonneville?
    Anyone?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  4. TRuss

TRuss

There is agreat full color pic taken by Joe Barnett in the TRJ that I believe has part one of his story. I don't have the issue in front of me but I am going to guess between #s 17 and 20.

5. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I have them on a computer here that I need to hook-up. I tried to dig thru some disc's to find them to no avail., Tex Smith told me some story's about those cliffs one night while having some beverages. About how they used to take "baths" in the city water tower at the top of the cliffs.

I thought that JimA wrote a story about the cliffs that Ryan spoke of, maybe he will chime in on the story of them.

Chris

7. Doubtfull since he burned his bridges here.

8. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I'm not sure the word graffiti would apply to this artwork. Notice that it's being done in the middle of the day right next to what looks like a highway, possibly Sepulveda Blvd.

I also noticed that some plaques were partially covered by others and wonder if that would spark some kind of reaction from the club that had their work covered.

Maybe the Knowbodys should be watching their backs. Those Ignitors are a bad ass bunch.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Those might be newly painted areas to be used as a background for the final lettering...just a thought...

10. The Knowbodys

The Knowbodys
    Knumber One In Your Hearts

We are the Knowbodys. We are from Knowhere. We are scared of knowbody.

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

And in that TRJ story it says that the rock formation was bulldozed when the freeway was built in 1957-58.

12. You are right, things are much different today and what was once considered good clean fun is not necessarily so any more, if for no other reason than too many things got taken to extremes, and then lawyers got involved :rolleyes:

You are also right that many clubs worked hard on their image in the beginning, although I'm not sure how much of that continued into the late 50's and 60's. I think some of the Hooliganism had started to return. At least through these rose colored glasses.

13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

That's a great shot of it!

14. [​IMG]

Top Right - Does that say HAMB ? Hmmmm

15. I'd love to do that somewhere today. STUGOTS
    Note-some of the names are different

[​IMG]

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Can you tell us what book that photo is in?

17. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Rodders Journal #17

18. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

???????

how would anybody find the knowbodys? they are from nowhere! and they arent afraid of anybody! does anybody know?

19. GARY?

GARY?

Cool post. Could have done without the graffiti/politico rants however.
    Rebels were and still are rebels.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You've watch too many of those stupid hot rod movies. The car club guys were not "rebels", they were clean-cut kids...hardly "rebels'. Most of them looked like Ricky Nelson.

21. There's such a thing as stupid hot rod movies? Bite your tongue:p:D

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

blah, blah, blah... :)

Those pictures RULE!

23. 1929rats

1929rats

When I first saw that shot in TRJ, I started at it for about 30 minutes. Probally one of my favorite pics of all time - no joke. Especially with the 40 pu in the foreground. If you look at that photo, you can see how a rival club crossed out the "quarter kings". If memory serves me right, that was mentioned in the article as well. For me, it brings me back to my college days when I pledged a fraternity. I remember painting over another frats "letters" with ours on the side of a cliff in North Adams, MA. The letters were about 15 feet high and there was a "science" to painting the letters that was passed down from pledge class to pledge class (year after year). I bet if this cliff could have talked, It would have had a ton of stories.

Love the pictures I havent seen...

24. seatex

seatex

Damn, great post! I;m pretty sure there are a few granite cliffs out in Llano that need a touch up!

25. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

The Nose Knows!

26. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Agreed.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  27. Retrorod

Retrorod

I think I'll run out to Malibu Canyon and see what that tunnel looks like right now.

28. I had forgotten that it was done 44 years ago - gee, I must be getting old! I remember at the time my mother thinking the artwork was pretty cool (she was an artist, herself).

Getting back to the painted club signs, I wonder if this might not have been at the northern end of Sepulveda Blvd or Topanga Blvd where either used to meet San Fernando Hwy (now San Fernando Road) around Sylmar? We used to travel that stretch of road in pre-Interstate days, but usually on a Friday night if we were going north on a weekend family adventure. The lay of the land looks v. familiar to that end of the Valley.

29. Steve

Steve

sepulveda ends south of the end of the 405 at the 5 which is south of Sylmar. This cliff was up in the sepulveda pass between the valley and LA

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

I had the same thought. Unless I'm really turned around (which seems to be a common occurrance these days)...
    I actually grew up less than a mile from Sepulveda Blvd. :)