Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Cain '32 Roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Minewithnoshine, Jul 29, 2010.

1. oh man how did i miss this thread? this is gonna be one badass roadster! wholy crap! im drooling over all these parts you just seem to be whipping outa no where!!!

2. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Yea, I think that way it looks best on a roadster or 5 window, without it, the rear end looks odd to me unless it has a roll pan under it. Sedans and 3 windows can pull it off, but the roadster needs it IMO.

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

4. Thanks for the rear end pictures!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. This is a great build! Staying tuned!

6. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I made some progress today. I hacked off the rear frame horns and made a template to tuck them up under the body just so the spreader bar sticks out like the car above. I fitted the firewall and drilled the body mount holes in the frame as well, but still need to tap them. We had to do a lot of running around today for tools and parts so I didn't get a whole lot done, tomorrow I'm hitting the shop early to get as much done as possible.

7. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Tonight I went ahead and cut the rear horns up and got the kickup all fitted together. I'm happy with the way it came out, now I just need to weld it up and get the boxing plates fitted on that section.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Hopefully will be a roller tomorrow!

9. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Trying to make progress and get ready to take everything out to the Pumpkin Run Nats this weekend. If you're out there stop by our spot in the swap meet section and say hello, we'll have a Queen City Hot Rods banner up so you can't miss us!

10. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Finally another update. I was down for a while with a damn kidney stone, DAMN do those things hurt! I got the suspension on and sitting at ride height, but I still need to do some tweaking with the rear spring to figure out my leaf setup. I want it to come down about another inch or so. Here are a few pictures fellas, the last one is with the '27 T modified project going on as well. Mattblack52 is his name on here, he has a build thread going on it too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Looking awesome!!! Great work.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I for one think it looks perfect as it is. I know the RB's trademerk is low rolling deuces but that thing looks incredibly appropriate at that height. The extra inch might look a bit contrived ya know? Like if you're building a 100k roadster you would expect that wheel to line up perfectly but since this is a real hot rod....well ya know, they aren't perfect....but that's what makes them perfect. Plus you got to figure that the whole car is coming down with that HEMI in there sooooo......

Looking great for sure.

13. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I hear ya there. From a side view, it lines up perfect in the wheelwell just a little tall on top. I need to figure what leaves to run anyways, I removed 3 starting from the bottom every other one and it's too soft for my liking now. Back to the shop!

14. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I played around with the spring setup tonight and got it sitting just right. I MAY add one more leaf in, I removed the top 5 out of a 10 pack brand new T rear spring, so they are STIFF, we'll see once it comes together more, they're easy to add and remove.

JJ, these pics are for you haha, I'm a perfectionist. I only turned the heims on the rear radius rods out a couple turns and it's dead on now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I stopped down at the machine shop to drop off the last of the parts for the hemi and got some pictures while I was there. The block is all machined and going back together. The bore size is 3.800 now, up from the stock 3.71875. It started life as a 291 and we took it as large as we safely could. Pistons are forged Ross 10.5:1. The short block should be done tomorrow. The heads were being ported as I was there, which are 330 heads, the Weiand manifold is port matched as well. The cam was measured out at .558 lift and 272 duartion at .050, pretty good sized, should sound nasty being a solid roller although it won't wake up until 4,000 RPMs probably, we're going to dyno tune it before it goes in the car which should be in the next 2 weeks or so, I'll have a video of it. The machine shop thinks it'll make close to 400hp, they've built quite a few of these so they should know!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. you've got that sitting beautiful, great thread. Just out of curiousity, the quickchange, how wide from rim mounting face to face is it, the rims/tyres are sitting perfectly from all angles.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

17. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Ill measure it for you tomorrow and post it up. I used to remember off the top of my head but now all my measurements are blurring together haha, long day.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well now that you fucked with the ride height, I'll expect to see all the bolts and screws clocked just like a true trophy queen!!! Hahaha!!! Just kidding. Bring the car to next year's party at our (IRON LORDS) shop. I didn't get a chance to talk to you last time but now I have all the reasons in the world to blow everyone else off and bee line straight for ya hahaha!!!

19. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

20. Racrdad

Racrdad

Wow!! thats what I keep thinking with every update posted. This is one super well thought out build. Closing in on perfection in my opinion. But even more importantly its great that your mom is doing well.

21. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Hopefully more updates today!

22. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Made a little progress on the '32. I've been trying to get another car done and outta the shop, so my car gets attention when I'm not working on the other stuff. Today I metal finished the front shock arms and all of the shortened shock links, little details are what makes the car. I made up my rear license plate bracket as well. I can't take credit for the design, but it involves a '37 Ford rear bracket modified, rearched and repeaked to fit the '32 spreader bar, it looks like a factory piece now. Here's the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful machine. Great thread. What is the Cain story? Do you have a link to an earlier thread?

24. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Just my last name haha

25. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

More updates today, check back for pics later!

26. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Got a surprise in the mail today, all my gauges came back From John Wolf Co. (www.antiqueinstrument.com) and MAN! They look BEAUTIFUL! I sent him up the 6 small gauges to have new rings put on, faces cleaned and to test them all, they are flawless, the only person I think that will ever touch any of my gauges again. The work is just impeccable. I'm using the mechanical oil and water temp in the car, the electric are extras and yes, I have NOS senders for those as well. Here's some pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. very nice.
    Al.

28. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I've been dragging my feet on this car, so I made some good progress today. I decided to finish up the rear kickups in order to get the car closer to squaring everything away.

First of sorry about the pictures, they're from my phone as my shop camera decided to kick the bucket today.

Here's what I was dealing with, just had the spreader bar hanging on tacked.

[​IMG]

So I made some cardboard templates for pieces I had to cut

[​IMG]

Went to the cut off wheel and made myself a puzzle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And after a LOT of welding, grinding, and cleaning up, here's how it all turned out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come soon!

29. lorodz

lorodz

looks awsome keep it up

30. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man it's great that your mom is doing well. My buisness partner has been doing chemo for a while but is doing well now !! he's helping me build my coupe. Cain that roadster is awsome these are the things that helps in dealing with the rough stuff. Just a pleasent distraction. Keep us posted with your progress. My 32 frame is on here man they are close mine has a 345 desoto hemi with 518 auto and I have a franklin rear f1 steering box .But I have a 33 3 window chevy body going on mine. Keep the good work up .