Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Cain '32 Roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Minewithnoshine, Jul 29, 2010.

1. What he said....great idea !!

Rat

2. turdytoo

turdytoo

Really nice work and extremely well planned and thought out. Keep us posted.

3. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I'm going to go check out the bod and hopefully it's ready to come home! I'll take some shots of it while I'm there

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's incredible. THe axle ends is a nice touch for sure and the parts collection have me all tingly inside and out.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Sweet, this is gonna be ALL-RIGHT!:D

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

MAN what great news about your mother... You gotta love a fighter!.. Oh and your 32 is looking good too.. Keep up the good work, I am sure I will see you around as we are only across the river from each other, and have a few of the same aquaintances..Ryan

7. Gareth

Gareth
    from San Diego

That's a great stash of parts you have there and the frame is looking beautiful!
    I'm liking your vision and will be following the thread with interest. I also have a desoto hemi/weiand 4x2/stromberg setup for my project (34 pickup on 32 frame) so i'm keen to see how yours comes together. I won't post pics in your thread but I have some in my albums if you care to check them out.
    Keep the updates coming!

8. dgasbag

dgasbag
    from Upstate NY

Hey Brian, when we fabricate those dummy ends for nine inch axles we relieve the back a bit for the axle end protrusion. Regards, Ron & Dave at Culver City Quickchange

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Cool pile-O-stuff! Keep posting progress!!

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Seems like this is going to be an awesome car!!!!!!!!!!! If you need a painter for the project, I'd love to get involved! :D

11. lorodz

lorodz

looks like a great bunch of parts for a great car ....

12. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Thanks for the comments fellas!

I'm about 10 minutes from downtown, feel free to stop by some time

That's one thing I've been wanting to do! Everyone that sees the quickchange loves it, thanks again guys!

I have all the paint sitting here for it! All lacquer (Acrylic), sadly I couldn't find enough of the nitrocellulose stuff, only came up with a half gallon.

I've been doing A LOT of hand filing and finishing welds, smoothing everything out on the suspension pieces. All my brake parts came in today, new M/T ribbed drums, '40 master cylinder and all my backing plate hardware pieces and brass fittings. I'm lasering out some ring spacer pieces to weld onto the rear '40 backing plates to adapt them to the Torino housing ends, I'll put more of that up when I get onto doing it. I'll get some new pictures of everything tomorrow and what I've been up to!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Here's a small update, I've been doing a lot of the brake plumbing, and fun stuff like that. I went to drop the mockup hemi and tranny in and ran into a problem. It seems the S10 tailshaft housing I have for the WC T5 has an electric speedo which has a big nasty hump on the end of it and won't clear the frame crossmember, so I need to find a mechanical speedo tailshaft housing soon. Here are a few update pictures though. I picked up some DP74F red oxide epoxy primer to shoot the body with to keep it from surface rusting once I get it back from the soda blasters this week, it looks awesome now with the lead work done. The cam and lifters came in from Contrera's Camshafts this past week as well. Donnie Johansen, from the Howard's cams fame ground me a custom solid roller for the DeSoto hemi, it has a pretty big profile on it, I can't wait to get the engine on the dyno once it's together and get it running with the 4 Strombergs. THe last pics are of the '32 column drop I'm rebuilding for the car, it'll be just as stock. I went though and thoroughly cleaned everything, got new pieces where needed and polished the original ON/OFF tag, the new ones just look too cheesy and fake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Super Thread. I am watching this one everyday. You have good taste on the selection of parts. Keep the photos coming.

I hope you Mom is beating the Big C to death.

Best of luck to you.

15. my mom has been fighting C for over 10 years now... i can relate....
    your car is gonna be awesome with the equipment you've gathered.......
    good luck....

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

nice looking stuff man. Good luck with the rest of the build. Hope Mom is doing well!

17. What a great build with all your detail work, , got to see the body to go on that frame ,,, big hemi !!!! alright!!!!

18. cracker head

cracker head

Have you physically tried to put the lifters in the block yet?

19. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

The block needs to be machined for the lifter guide bar, not a big deal though, the machine shop has that all under control.

More pictures tonight!

20. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Killer work I need to stop over soon, I wanna check out that frame it looks killer .. Ryan

21. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Made some progress finally. I got the body back from Brookville. It needed to be widened like I thought, so they put in a new center channel and front floor. Dropped it off on a Thursday at 4:00pm and it was done by 11:30 the next morning. Thanks guys! I'm still finishing a few things on the frame so the body isn't going on quite yet. I did though get the rear brake backing plates all finished. I had 9" housing ends put on the '40 Ford axles bells, but I wanted to keep the '40 Ford brakes on the rear. I know I could have used the Hot Rod Works adapter, but I wanted a custom width rear end, so here's my process of adapting '40 brakes to a modern style 9" housing end.

Here's the Torino style 9" housing end on the '40 Ford bells.

[​IMG]

Starting with the '40 backing plate, cleaned up and chamfered around the edges ready to go.

[​IMG]

The inner diameter of the '40 backing plate is 3.9", larger than the 3.15" bearing diameter of the 9" housing, so we lasered out these ring spacers out of 1/8" plate.

[​IMG]

Next was to center them up in the backing plate and weld them in. I made sure I alternated spots and switched between the 2 rear plates to let them cool between welding as to not warp them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is all cleaned up ready to fit up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a comparison of the modified plate to a stock '40 plate.

[​IMG]

And finally on the rear end fitted up. The '40 plates are thinner than a modern 9" backing plate, to I had to put washers between the backing plate and bearing retainer to keep everything tight. It worked great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are a few shots of the body. Hopefully I'll get it on the frame this weekend and get some more progress done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Nice work. The work should move along nicely now that the body is back. Thanks for the detailed pics

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet! Another update! Keep it coming! PLEASE!!

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Progress is good!! Thanks for the updates...

25. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Hopefully some more progress pics tonight!

26. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Neat upgrade on the backing plates. Look forward to more...

28. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Updates coming soon!

29. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I made a little progress tonight. I got the overhang sheet metal on the rear subrails trimmed up and the body fitted on the frame. With the new center channel and front floor, it now fits perfect. I also threw the dash in to see how it all flowed together, and I must say I love the way it looks in there. Next up is to chop off those terrible rear frame horns and tuck them up under the rear end!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Looking great! Are you planing on having a rear spreader bar with the frame horns shortened up close to the body like this one?

[​IMG]