Register now to get rid of these ads!

The build starts-34 5 window-The jam job coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thommoina33, Apr 11, 2012.

1. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Thought i'd start my first build thread, my 5 window arrived midway through last year, due to other commitments she had to sit and gather dust for a while.

Time has freed up a little so work has commenced. This is my first early build, i've done some mid 60's stuff, i get around in my old green 33 tub but nothing from the ground up so a bit of a learning experience.

On first appearance the coupe looked o.k, sure a thousand bugs lost their lives in the paint job, but a run around with a magnet confirmed not all is well.

We pulled the body a couple of weeks ago, frame is o.k, pitting on the top rail but not major.

Started stripping the paint last weekend, man, talk about bondo abuse, instead of tapping any small dent, the brain surgeons iced this baby like a cake, once the paint and filler is off it's not to bad.

I have'nt done a great amount of body before but i figure i'll give it a crack,
    i can only screw it up and have to do it again.

The plans are hiboy, black on black with 18'' 32 wires on the rear and 17'' up front, quickchange, 3 spd and sidevalve.

Oh yea, we're going to give it a haircut, i love some of the chops going around on the hamb at the moment, D rods, muffin, etc, it will be a lakes cut with leaned a pillars but nothing as radical due to our laws.

About all for now, i'll try to post as reg as i can.

cheers, Thommo.

Attached Files:

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's a good looking start!

3. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

4. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

Looks like a real nice start...

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hey bubba...if you run 17 inch wires all around, you can get tire treads that match, unlike running 18's on the back and 17's on the front.

This coupe is running 17's all around with 5.50 BFG's in the front and 7.50 BFG's in the back on stock, unwidened wheels...28" tall fronts and 33" tall rears...killer look. just my .02 cents...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Looks like a good car to start learning with.

Keep us updated!

8. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Good luck, will be killer when complete!

9. Sweet! I'm checking in as a wannabe model40 guy. Looks great and I love the plan. The couple you mentioned are favorites of mine as well.

10. Glad to see you getting started on this one

11. Thommo, do you have a line on any more 18" '32 wires? im thinking of running a set on the rear of my 34 tudor eventually.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I'll second the comment on the 17" vs 18" wires. It's a lot easier to find nice tall Firestones in the 17" size that were meant for a car, not a truck.