Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. nobux

nobux

I dropped my windshield frame off this morning to have glass installed. My brake lines are done. Next up is fuel and tranny cooler lines.

Tim_with_a_T and brad2v like this.
  2. brad2v

brad2v

Good to see a little activity here. The axle looks fantastic Tim, and I like your plan for the gauges. Also nice to the the roadster going back together Gary, I missed the thread. I've done nothing T related, or even early Ford related, but I am making progress on the Pontiac. Maybe I'll even update my thread on it.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  3. t-rod

t-rod

My "T" isn't a bucket, but I did work on it. I've finished the bolt in roll bar just in time to not go to World of Speed, since all Bonneville salt flats events were canceled this year. If the weather holds out, I'll go to the last drag race of the year at Rocky Mountain Raceway.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  4. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

What are the details on the bolt in roll bar? Does it pass tech inspection, and what is it bolted to? Pictures?

5. t-rod

t-rod

The bars terminate to 4 by 6, 1/2" steel plate. Heavier than needed, but I had it laying around. Two of the four bolts pass through the frame rail, two through brackets welded to the frame. This roll bar was part of the plan from the beginning so the mounting brackets were installed when I built the frame. You can see it's a tight fit on the driver's side but I do fit. Far as passing tech, I'll find out on Friday.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  6. Haven't been up to much at all. Finally got the 440 bearings fit to my 392, but didn't make the NTBA show. Tore the new design rope seal trying to install it with a "Sneaky Pete". I can see where the new design would work great if you are building up from scratch (ie. with the crankshaft out), but not so good if your trying to install it with the crankshaft installed. I know I found "someone" making a late model styled 2 piece, neoprene rear main seal, but now that I want it, I can't remember where I saw it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Hang in there! If I learned anything from this build, if it doesn't fight you every step of the way, you're doing something wrong. Kidding. But sometimes it seems like that.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Good to see some T progress on here, mine is going slow but I did take it to a local show (not under its own power) at our local drag strips open day. JW
    [​IMG]

9. brad2v

brad2v

I'm a Chrysler parts guy, and if memory serves, a big-block rear main fits, avail through Mopar Performance as a 2 piece.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay. It's been a looooong time since my last visit. Things got bad then good. In a nut shell, I got laid off from 2 welding jobs in the last 6 months. The oil industry is hurting in Houston and I became a part of it. Then, my mom had 2 strokes. My siblings and I are covering what her insurance won't. So real life gave me a swift kick in the balls. A quick sale took a lot of stress off of er and me.

The guy who bought my car, asked my girl if she she was going to miss it. Her reply, " Nope, he'll just build another one." WORD!

So, what does a veteran do? He wipes the shit off is face and presses forward! I have a new job (not welding related), but better pay and benefits. I'm a receiving clerk at Grocers Supply. More money and overtime out the ass. So, what does a hot rodder do with more money? He starts planning out his next build!
    It's going to be another T Bucket, but may have a door. I'm looking at REALLY doing this one up right. The first one was a learning experience. Now, I'm ready to apply my welding skills and knowledge to a new ride.

At this point, all I can really promise, is that she will will have a SBC, red paint and black upholstery. So, when I get through the planning stage and pull the trigger, I'll let you lug heads see the progress.

I won't be online as much as I used to, but I'll chime in with updates and just to say hello, whenever I can. Roll on, fellas!

11. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Fred......It`s brilliant to have you back....

Tim.....Great to see you two on Saturday. Still fitting that louvered hood........:mad::D

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  12. Sorry to hear of all the hard shit Fred and glad the balls back in your court. Look forward to your new build. JW:D

13. daddio211

daddio211

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, but sounds like you'll pull right through.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Veterans get it done no whining or crying. Good to see you back.

15. butch27

butch27

Fred: Glad to see you back. You know that Thomas sold his bucket , a good friend of ours bought and is in our club " Memories in Motion" and driving the heck out of it.

16. Fred,

Glad to see you back. Sorry about the job(s), myself and a few others are right there with you (I got laid off Jan. 15, got a new job offer in Jun., and finally get to start it on Nov. 19th!), I'm glad you got back to work as well. Prayers sent for your family. Did you ever buy the T coupe body you were thinking about?

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred, glad your back. You are a survivor!
    Red with black interior. Why do I agree? Really Fred that formula has been good to me. You know the rest of the formula now. You can't go wrong with what Chip has laid out on his thread here.
    Here's hoping he is in a good place in his life now and hoping he stops in here soon.
    Gary

volvobrynk and bowie like this.
  18. Thanks, Brad2v, but I found them again last night. Jr. Thompson sells the "correct" one. Some of these that are available are actually a Ford part (maybe FE series) that require a paper shim behind them and a lot of silicon to "maybe" work.....not my style. I'll look into the 440 one as well when the correct one gets here and compare them.

Kurt (Blownfuel)

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Fred, you're one of the heroes here, so keep on rollin' yerself!

Life sucks sometimes, but usually works itself into a less sucky state.

From the lug heads 'round here.....

brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  20. RodStRace

RodStRace

Fred, thanks for the update, sorry life's been kicking you.
    Tell your mom that the car crazy guys wish her the best and I hope you come 'round more often.

21. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Well, if anyone needs someone to pull off a bank robbery, let me know. I think all my fingerprints have been sanded off my fingers. I did get the axle drilled and all sanded down, though. And spent some quality time with Kiwi Paul shooting the breeze about T projects.

1443931512093.jpg

1443931648081.jpg

Sparked, wedjim, nitrobrother and 9 others like this.
  22. Very nice Tim. JW

23. awesome work tim

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Tell us what you used to do it Tim.
    Is the next stop at the plating shop ? Looks like it's ready for chrome.

25. brad2v

brad2v

Very nice Tim.

26. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

The pictures make it look more finished/refined than it actually is. There are still some pits and low spots that will need filled, but not very many. At this point in the game, I am against chroming the axle, because the next question would be, "Where does it end?" When we were at the LARS this year, it became almost bland to see a whole chrome front suspension, so I am trying not to over do it I guess. For now, my thoughts are to powder coat the suspension pieces and break them up with some grade 8 equivalent polished stainless steel fasteners. These pictures are from Hot Turkey's 1932 3W build. I fell in love.

1443978129933.jpg

1443978153032.jpg

How I got the axle smooth:

I started with a 60 grit flap wheel in my 4 1/2" grinder. You will burn through about 4 of these if you do the whole axle. The flap wheel will get into every spot except the ends of the webs if you turn the grinder on its side and act like you're going to make a cut with it.

Don't stay in one spot for too long. Wear a mask. Wear safety goggles or a face shield or both.

After you get it roughed in with the flap disc(s), you can use something equivalent to a Dremel tool to cut into the corners of the web - small sanding drums and the Dremel version of the flap wheel. I also used the Dremel flap wheel(s) to smooth out the holes drilled in the axle.

After that, I used something I probably shouldn't have, but they worked out great. They are scotch brite wheels intended for a bench grinder made by 3M. They are EXPENSIVE. But we use them at work, and after a certain point, it's not safe to use them in a bench grinder anymore because the diameter is too small. Just perfect for a hand held angle grinder, though! I dug a couple of them out of the trash from work and gave them a shot. The reason I say I probably shouldn't have used them like this is because of the max RPM on the wheel's label - much less than what the angle grinder spins. But it did work, so... success?

Lastly, I block sanded with 100 grit. It's actually rougher than what those scotch brite wheels finish it, but I was able to get the majority of the small pits and low spots filled. Then, I hand sanded to blend the small low spots. I'll have to fill the remaining pits (not many) with something like All Metal. I'll try to dig for a couple more pictures to give some perspective .

AndersF likes this.
  27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Ok, easier than I thought. This was taken about a year and a half ago. My brother and I sanded everything on the front suspension to prep for powder coat. Sanded instead of sand blasted because we're dealing with parts from the '40s, forgings, rust, pits, welds, etc. Some people didn't understand why we didn't just blast them and coat them. But you all know that! It's never that easy! We have about 40 hours combined in this, not including the web of the axle or the drilling of the axle. Since the photo, I changed front brakes and kinda sorta lost all motivation on the project. Fast forward to now...

My drill press is underpowered, so drilling took about 9 hrs. Sanding the webs and the drilled holes took another 10 hours. Not sweat running down my face, out of breath work, but leisurely pace, don't screw it up pace, type of work. It was totally worth it in my opinion. Unless you know what you're looking at, you wouldn't know what parts are from the '40s and what parts were purchased new from a catalog.

[​IMG]

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

With that part of the build nearing completion, you must feel that all of the work was worth it, it looks very good! :cool:

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks great, Tim!

I considered starting a build thread on my new project, next week, but instead I'll just drop bits and pieces here. I mean, this is the T Bucket hang out. I've been doing research since the day I saw my ride on that guys trailer. As of now, I'm waiting for my engine guy to get the metal for my frame. Yea, I'm lucky to have an engine guy who also builds hot rods and fabricates. He's letting have full use of his shop. He's got a great source for the metal and says I'll be stoked building my own frame. Guess my 2 years of welding school will actually pay off.

I'm doing her like my first one. A piece at a time or as my budget allows. I plan on having her done by next summer. We'll see if I can make that target. Plans call for a 113" wheel base, so I can go with a stretched body. Yup, the guy who said they didn't look right (me), is bowing towards comfort in my old (56) age.:rolleyes: I'm going with
    1 1/2" x 3". I was going to go 2" x 4", when I was considering a BBC. Yea, my new found state of mind had me heading towards the land of high torque and horse power. But, reality kicked in and my wallet said to have another amped up SBC built. Something in the 383 neighborhood.

I'm going wishbones and a drilled, 4" dropped axle in front with reversed Corvair steering and a Ford 9" in the rear with posi, 3:50 gears and ladder bars (not radius rods just because I like the look) and coil springs. Well, the rear end may change, but I doubt it. I plan on having an engine that will need it.

I'm going with a stretch body from California Custom Roadster and a bare minimum interior. Gonna paint her red..... maybe black. Hey, it's a HOT ROD damn it! ;)

So, while these plans could or may change, I'm not counting on it. In my head, I've already got her built and put 1,000 miles on her. Her name will be......... "Free Bird". When I get started, I'll post pics. Bare with me.

My first rod was a learning experience and watching you guys and keeping note of what and how you guys do things, truly inspiring and motivating. There were 2 minutes when I considered never having another T Bucket or any kind of Hot Rod at all. Depression, I guess. But a triple shot of 12 year old Scotch on the rocks got that shit out of my head. So to quote May West, "Hang on fellas, it's going to be a bumpy ride."

30. Oh hell yes, Fred! Looking' forward to it! My 57 year old body is why I'm building a big ol' tub and wanting to trade my Harley for a nice, air conditioned daily driver!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.