Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Hey Roger, Sorry I have not checked up on the build in a while (real life....you know what I mean). I was bummed to hear about your problems, but Murphy really does have a twisted sense of humor at times. Good luck with the rest of build. A few years from now you can look back at how this experience made you stronger.

-S

2. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Since all the front end is back on . Are we to believe that shes a driver now??? have you taken her out yet ?? inquiring minds want to know. she sure looks purdy now.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Already past it, Sobastrace...it's becoming simply a memory of "playing with cars...and the consequesences, and rewards thereof."

Yes, Yes, and thank you...leaving to go drive my upholsterer pal Ed to ColoRODo Springs today to pick up his car...watch for an update right now...!!!

R-

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, it’s been an interesting four months in the RE-build, and finish, of my Cadillac…suffice to say I did get a lot of small things done while the engine was out and at the builders, so much so, that it’s time for an update, a next-to-final (I hope) update …

So, as promised, let’s just call this update:

THE END IS NEAR(ER)…

Let me back up a bit…and say that I was quite pissed at the car immediately after Salina, so, I let it sit in the dark garage all by itself for a few weeks, figured I’d teach it a lesson since I had to threaten it once before some time ago…didn’t want it to think it could get back at me for scolding it (but I think it did). While I was getting over my annoyance, I had time to call and talk to my engine builder (in a civil tone…!!!) about the possible problems with the engine and how to solve them. I asked him if he wanted to come to my place to listen to the engine…he did and while he listened, said, “It’s got to come out to get fixed.” I knew that, but didn’t want to hear it since I’d just put it all together.

“When you get it out, call me, I’ll get it done for you ASAP,” he said. Oh well, not everything in life goes 100% the way you want, or expect it to. Weee-eeeellll, stuff happens… no doubt!!!

Well, no sense going into the whole sordid story again since I already posted it a page or three back in this thread…suffice to say - early August, I started to tear the car apart…again. It took some work to get the front bumper, grille and Dagmars off without damaging the new chrome. Of more importance, was the removal of the fenders and hood without chipping the new paint. The engine and tranny had to come out as one unit so we eventually had to pull the entire front. Needless to say we were extremely careful.

The very next thing I did was remove the engine mount bolts and slip a hydraulic jack under the engine …raise it up to see how much I’d need so the stock oil filter would clear the tie rod and to see how much of a “new” motor mount I’d have to build for each side.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the 18” remote hoses going to and from the stock Caddy oil unit. I figured the hoses weren’t long enuff to worry about at this point and that the remote would be OK.

On to building new mounts...I was surprised that I needed only an inch to clear the steering knuckle. Regardless, I had to tear out the old mounts and build new ones. Time to get out the plasma cutter and the grind wheel and cover the car so the paint/windshield doesn’t get ruined. It took a couple of hours to cut the old mounts off and get the right height dialed in on the new mounts and weld them back in…as I stood back to admire my work I wondered why I hadn’t done that from the very beginning of the build. The only thing I could think of was that I guess I wanted to run a remote oil filter and never thought of situating the engine high enuff to solve a future problem. Hindsight is always 20/20, right…???. The engine was pulled out immediately after I put the Mig away…and the engine/tranny separated and it went to the engine builder the next day.

[​IMG]

It took a couple more weeks before I wanted to work on the car again, I was still annoyed…especially after my bro and I cancelled the rest of our planned rod running trips in August and September…

One of the first things I did when I finally felt like working on the car again was finish up the trunk…I figured as long as the car was sitting, doing nothing, I had time to build some panels to cover the trunk uglies…so I went to Home Depot and bought some Masonite look-alike, called MDF board. This stuff is slick, easy to cut and to edge-sand and thicker than Masonite. I made some cardboard patterns first to make sure everything fit and that I wouldn’t need to build brackets to hold the panels in. Once that was done, I transferred the pattern to the board and cut ‘em out…of course, allowing enuff room on the edges to wrap some vinyl around them…the panels are just force-fit in…the carpet holds them in place.

[​IMG]

I‘d kept the old stock ’55 Caddy door panels because I liked the V-shaped piece of chrome on them and couldn’t bring myself to sell, or toss, them, figuring they’d come in handy some time in the future. I remembered them in my storage shed, went and got them, removed the chromed V’s and taped them on my panels – had to “reverse” them cuz on the stock door panels, both V’s were at the front of the panel. They looked like they belonged on the trunk panels so I had my bro polish them up.

Once I got all the panels made, including the small piece that hides the trunk springs (note the original Cadillac emblem I put on it and the late model Cadillac wreath/crest), I took them to my upholstery guy and he wrapped them in vinyl. One nice thing about my upholstery guy, Ed, is he’s willing to trade stuff with me. He’s building a ’55 Olds kustom right now, after building this one –
    [​IMG]

Well, I was supposed to put a pair of ’56 Packard taillights in the Olds for him this coming winter (for upholstering/carpeting my newly acquired ’60 Pontiac Catalina Safari wagon), but, late August, he decided he couldn’t wait 'til winter so had another friend of his do the job…the taillights came out looking like they grew there but the previous owner of the car had butchered up the stock rear bumper (narrowed it). It didn’t fit and it certainly didn’t look good with the new taillights. Ed and I talked about finding a different bumper that would work with the bottom shape of the Packard’s, but couldn’t recall any particular bumper style that’d work.

[​IMG]

While I was scrounging around in my storage shed, I came across an old bumper a friend had given me about 6-8 years ago…the chrome was still good and the bumper was straight but I had no idea what it was off of and decided someday it’d come in handy…good thing I kept it…I took the bumper outside in the daylight and noticed the top/ends of the bumper looked like they’d work with Ed’s taillights. I phoned Ed, told him “I got your bumper, quit looking for one” and I’d bring it along when I’d bring the panels for him to cover. I took both over and he liked the look of the bumper...now if it would fit it'd be nice...

A week later he called and said the trunk panels were done…and he told me the bumper fit like it was made for it…I went to pick up the panels and look at the bumper…it looked good.

[​IMG]
    Come to find out, the bumper is off a ’49 Olds, so “we” kept it in the family. Anyway, covering the panels for me cost me one ’49 Olds bumper…such a deal, eh…???!!!

He was happy and I sure was with his covering job...I brought the panels home and stuck them in the trunk right away.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the panels add a lot to the trunk...Ed is currently making a tire cover for me out of the same material….

Well, that’s going to do it for this update…prolly will have at least one more as there are a couple of other things that I got done while waiting…stay tooned…!!!

R-

5. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

the finished trunk totally ties the car together. A complete package. Beautiful work like always. Now go get some miles on her before you are snowed in . the last thing I can say is wow.:D:D:D

Todd

6. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

First, it took me more than three hours to read your first book.

Second, I have followed the post from the beginning but sometimes, like now, there is a looong dry spell between updates and I forget stuff I read previously. Either you got the front bumper chromed or I forgot when it got replaced. I thought when you were driving it during the engine "tantrum" it had the painted bumper?

Sooo, your engine man has had the engine for months now right? No report yet? It's not finished? What did the autopsy reveal? Inquiring minds want to know Roger.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sometimes the long dry spell is because nothing got done on the car...as I stated in the above update: "I did get a lot of small things done while the engine was out and at the builders,"...so, to sum it up for you, short and sweet - the engine got pulled, it got rebuilt, it got put back in the car...the car is now running and I'm finishing other small things I'd planned to get done.

The front bumper was painted when I headed for Salina...I've since sent it out to have it chromed and it's back on the car...

Watch for another update real soon...hopefully this one won't take as long cuz I don't like long dry spells either...!!!

Thanx for reading...

R-

8. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

So what was wrong with the engine. Please don't write that it was broken or blown. I would really like to know what went kaflooee with your mill.

So I wasn't hallucinating. I thought it was painted the last time I saw a pic. I remember your disapointment at not having it plated before Salina.

You're welcome for reading. I enjoy your writing.

Joe

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

So am I to believe you drove it to Colorado Springs? If so way to go.
    I am glad that you will be showing it at the convention center over the thanksgiving holiday, I will be going for sure who else is showing there cars at this show? I love the trade for trade program you got with your upholstery, it's a lot better than paying cash. The car looks great...John

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Roger, I fully expect to see it at Salina next year. Leadsled needs to hurry up and get here.

11. mad-cad

mad-cad

Good to see your caddy 'roadliner' is back in one piece,inspiration for me to get working on my 56 coupe,gotta be ready for Moab 2011 if all the caddy's are going to be there:D.

12. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Roger,
    Glade to hear motor issues are worked out, it gave you some time to tiddy up some other goodies.... can't wait to see back on the road after the winter thaw...If you need a project now to do through the winter..... I got one or two for ya.....:D:D:D

Roach

13. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

14. 1931av8

1931av8

Roger:
    Glad you didn't leave it in the dark too long. Looking forward to seeing this phine Cadillac rolling down the road again!

Tom

15. I love your cadillac. three of my favorite things. the Color purple, Cadillacs, and quality craftsmanship.

16. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Yep, I've gotta get out there to Salina and catch you guys one of these years real soon!!!

The Caddy is lookin awesome, Roger...but we do need some more update pics!! :D

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love Caddy's and it looks like Roger is going to build one for my list of
    favorites. Looking forward to seeing it on the road.

Happy Trails, Mick

18. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

The motor and upholstery looks awesome. Can't wait to see it all finished up. I will have to drive down to see it in person and hang out when it is done. That Olds is very cool too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Hell yeah come on out here! It's a great time.

20. Zeke

Zeke

Looking sweet Roger....!!!

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Zeke...

What...??? No cooking today...got extra time on your hands...???

Thanx for being there, for all your guys...and us here at home...!!!

(And for the other posters on this thread...updates and pix "coming soon"...real soon...hmmmm, sounds like an old movie preview, doesn't it...???)

R-

22. Zeke

Zeke

Actually you should check the thread I just posted... sitting back digesting right now and getting caught up on my favorite builds

23. Great to see the old girl back together again.

Gotta say again that your attention to detail and workmanship are amazing. Great work.

Cruise on!!!

Bill

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good God, Roger!! What a Caddy building maniac!!

You are a car building Maestro, one of the HAMB's real treasures. Thanks for not only bringing us into your garage, but also for sharing your thought processes. You are an inspiration to all of us.

25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the reasons why I like the HAMB is you get to see stuff before everybody
    else does....Roger, have you been holding out on us? Is this your Kool Caddy
    in public? Have I missed out on some pics? Oh, also Kustoms are supposed to
    have the hoods shut. LOL!! Boy, I hope that I spelled everything right...

Very kool, congrats on getting it out....

Happy Trails, Mick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Mick, it looks like he got it straightened out later that day! ;)

Congrats Roger!

(photo courtesty HAMB'r Dan Greenberg)

[​IMG]

27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yes, it is. Yes, it is out. Yes, that is a pic of it. No, I have not been holding out (wait, uhm...yes, I have. I've been waiting for the proper moment...), but now that I've been "outed"...

No, you have not missed out on any pix...I am writing the last update as we chat...I'll post it, along with MUCH better pix later...check it out later today...tonite, or tomorrow.

Yes, hoods and doors and trunks ARE supposed to be closed on KUSTOMS when shown and I planned to show the car all closed up (it sure looks better that way), but when I asked the show judges to let me know when they were going to judge my car so I could open everything up, they said, and I quote: "Can't do that...we don't know when we'll look your car over...and besides, it's not fair to other participants if we favor your car over someone that has his stuff open all weekend."... So, I had to play their game.

It looks correct...thanx for being so cognizant (how do you like that word...???) of spelling...but it wouldn't make or brake...uhmmm, ehrrr....break this post if you hadn't...!!!

Gotgas, your pix is a big red X on this end...
    BrerHair, thanx for the compliment...

R-

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't wait for the better pics...Luv ya Brutha! LOL!!

29. Aw crap. I better got busy and try to keep up with you Roger. Your car looks incredible. Hopefully mine will turn out as nice as yours.

30. Ghost28

Ghost28

Damn roger. The car looks great , but your little brothers got a big picture of his car on the colorado H.A.M.Bers site. Get with it.