Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The AUGUST 12 FRIDAY ART SHOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Yeah, I do have a good idea of what I generally want the drawing to look like…but then my years of precision drafting seem to take hold and the obsession with detail take over. In the late 70’s I loved drawing 567 Chevys in every form from custom to gasser, any angle or form totally from memory and pretty much always loved the final product. I think maybe I should give one of those a try this week and see what happens. Thanks!

41 GMC K-18, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. JBurt

JBurt

Take a look at (study) Jigger's work. He often shows how he goes from "doodle" to refining to finished art.
    Sorry Jigger, I know it's more than a doodle but it was the only word I could come up with.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  3. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

I spent 30 years as a professional mechanical drafter/designer. I didn't take up art until about 15 years ago, I'm just the opposite though, I seem to be incapable of making "tight" realistic art.

4. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

Davkin, I really enjoy your drawings and your choice of methods. Interesting that you struggle with the realistic art given a somewhat similar background in drafting. I actually tried emulating your style on one of my “free” style drawings. Safe to say my talent at this point for your style is not good enough to post. Maybe eventually.
    Interesting that when I see the work Cree (and of course Norwell) posts I am both awestruck at the quality and motivated to get better in the technically accurate style as well. So much diverse talent posting I am like a kid in a candy store.

Davkin, 41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Great photo, the cars nice too.

mctim64 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. I’m in awe of the all the talent in these threads…I always wished I was artistic, I’m just not!

41 GMC K-18 and Jigger like this.
  7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

D2053253-4668-403F-BA26-1098B8FBD205.jpeg Hope this is ok . Wanted to add to the Indian theme.

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

092A9241-AFB5-4C67-9DBB-832A60126F3E.jpeg 25CF6301-49DA-449C-B33A-DC8259576F60.jpeg I think someone took a Pontiac radiator cap and used it as a pattern to cast a Indian Motorcycle paper weight . It reads Indian Motorcycle on the back delete if needed

9. Thank @JBurt they are doodles! I’ve never considered them anything more, ha ha!

@51pontiac
    You brought up a great question. I hope this is a start at giving you some help.
    I was a technical draftsman until I went to school in the field of animation. (We can DM and have a whole conversation about this some time.)
    We had to learn to draw loose and with fluidity. It was a tough process for me to learn because it was so hard to break the left/right brain wall. Figure drawing, quick gesture drawings were the key. I recommend a sketchbook , pencils and a good location for people watching (without being creepy). A dog park. Dogs never set still for long so trying to catch a quick pose is great. If people at a park, a bar, seem weirded out, simply ask if they mind you sketching them, that you are a professional artist and it’s practice for the trade. Better yet, use family members. esp. kids. Same reason as animal. See if that helps. 20-30 second poses, 1 minute, 3 minute. I’d also get yourself an illustration handbook for animators. Preston Blair( Hobby Lobby) or something more advanced. You want something that teaches weight, movement and structure. From basics shapes to full on figure poses. Study the flow of drapery, draw it holding your pencil sideways, like chalk or pastels, not like a pen or note taker. The drapery thing will get your mind to loosen up and rethink what your seeing. That’s the other rule. Draw what you see not what you’re looking at. Think about that one.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    mctim64, rbrewer, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Guys... and great stuff

mctim64, 41 GMC K-18 and Okie Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.