Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crosleys make Nasty Hotrods and that's a fine example of A Lil Ole Snotty...I thought it had some poorly Photoshopped Wild Pipes added but turns out it's the.....What the heck are they...Looks a little like 3 Clawed Kilroys in a Flying Saucer Zinging away with a Cloud of Exhaust and Vapor Trails...anybody know the story on the Art?

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Arhie Ary............I remember the later beautiful "Big Inch" dragster at Colton and Riverside

mad mikey, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. My friend Todd { Va. HAMB } found that pickup. It was still 100% complete. He's now restoring it to it's glory days. 454.jpg 455.jpg 453.jpg .

4. rooman

rooman

I don't know about the art but Archie was one of the founders of the Colton strip along with Charlie Scott. The Crosley was preceded by a flattie powered 35 Ford coupe and followed by a hemi powered dragster. You can read more about him right here on the HAMB; https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ber-drag-racer-archie-ary-from-colton.563932/

Roo

5. rooman

rooman

Here are a few Fiats to kick the thread along.
    First up is Dexter and Randy Bradford's injected nitro burning big block Logghe framed Topolino. Pop's (Dexter) is no longer with us but Randy continues to race a nostalgia Fiat with a blown early hemi in an After Hours chassis
    Hamb shots 7.jpg
    Jim Dunn and Henry Velasco go back a long way with Dunn seen here at the Winternationals. When the chassis for this car got a little tired they put the motor in a dragster and hauled across the country to Indy for the US Nationals.
    Hamb shots 8.jpg
    Back in post #2981 this car was red and big block powered so I am guessing that this was an earlier version even though it is #IV.
    Hamb shots 9.jpg
    Jaguar straight six power for this English Topo at Santa Pod
    Hamb shots 10.jpg
    Bob and Joe Walden ran this car with Ford Thunderbird power and later switched to a Chevy. Originally it was raced with #069 but the NHRA eventually would not allow that so the team switched to #369. The car only raced relatively briefly and ended up being parked for 30 years. The car is still around with Bill Lininger in Ohio and cosmetically looks pretty much as seen here with the original paint and lettering.
    Hamb shots 16.jpg

I can't tell you much about this one apart from the obvious--steel body and what is most likely an Olds or Pontiac engine judging by the headers. I am guessing at possibly east coast judging by the non chopped but channeled coupe int he left lane
    Hamb shots 18.jpg

Roo

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It was Olds powered

7. rooman

rooman

So I am assuming that it was a west coast car.

Roo

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No. I just remember seeing it in a magazine. More than once. Now I remember it being on the cover of "Rods and Restyling" I bet I have it in my little books but I don't much feel like looking for it.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Roo, Could the Waldens have come from the Whittier/La habra area?

loudbang likes this.
  10. rooman

rooman

Santa Fe Springs evidently, so yes.

Roo

11. loudbang

loudbang

Pete's Wirthman Bros

what's up with the bent or twisted frame rail below the headers?

pete's  wirthman bros.jpg

12. rooman

rooman

Not sure about the frame or who Pete was but the Wirthman Brothers wrecking yard is still in business in Columbus, OH and has been around since 1917.

Roo

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. So then It's the Joe Walden who ran his '57 T bird at Bonneville and went 200 with one of Verne Houle's 427 Ford engines out of Bill Stroppe's shop. Joe owned Walden Welding in Whittier.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

That's weird..! Looks a bit like an optical illusion...but not..!?
    Very odd in any case.

Mike

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

I think I saw the Walden Bros car displayed at a show in SoCal or Bakersfield a couple years ago. I didn’t remember it from the past but it looked very nice.
    A couple pages back...... man, those poor little Crosleys have been hacked and hammered in every way possible over the years, some good, some very unfortunate. I wonder if there’s any stock ones left?
    Thanks Roo for posting the pic of the Dunn, Merrit and Velasco Fiat. Was that the same chassis/body as the Dunn and Reath Fiat? Just love the Fiats from that time period. Got any of the Rucker, Sievers and Petrie Fiat?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  16. Don't know about the chassis, but Jim Dunn's original Fiat was a factory steel body. The D M V Fiat was a Cal Auto glass body.

bchctybob, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

posted by hemidav in the vintage thread

hemidav1.jpg

18. rooman

rooman

Yes it is. They ran the Ford engine in the altered at one point
    Roo

Dean Lowe likes this.
  19. Church Key

Church Key

The gold Fiat A/A 33, is Mazza- Doyle from Salem, Massachusetts

20. rooman

rooman

Jack Doyle, who is in just about every drag racing hall of fame there is and is best known for his "Slider" Top Fuel and Top Gas dragsters. He was also the long time general manager at New England Dragway.

Roo

Church Key and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. rooman

rooman

A few more Fiats and such.
    An early shot from Pomona--steel body, blown hemi and a wheelbase so short that the driver is almost completely behind the rear axle, slingshot style.
    IMG_3480.JPG
    In my last post I had a photo of the original Bradford Fiat and here is a later version--still with the big block Chevy but now blown and with the color scheme that has carried through to the current version. IMG_3577.JPG

Based on the fact that this photo appears to be from OCIR (and that the Soapy Sales Woody car and Bowlus trailer are in the background) the timing suggests that this is the Fiat raced by Pat Johnson of Norwalk, CA before he stepped up to top fuel in 1969
    IMG_3576.JPG
    This appears to be some British (or Scandanavian) action judging from the class designation, license plates and the Wolfrace wheels
    IMG_3560.JPG

Another shot of the Shutdown Bantam from England that was the subject of some recent discussion here. The photo may be from the same event/venue as the one above it.
    IMG_3558.JPG
    An early application of a late hemi in a sportsman level car but with old school weed burner headers
    IMG_3559.JPG

Straight 8 Buick power in what appears to be a radically lightened Model A frame with a front axle/suspension package that is way more modern than the rest of the car
    IMG_3557.JPG
    We all had to start somewhere. Jim head went on to be one of only four drivers to win the US Nationals in both top fuel and funny car and is still active as a car owner
    IMG_3555.JPG IMG_3552.JPG
    The Valley Stream Pacers club was started in 1955 by George Swizek who also drove the club coupe before teaming up with "Charlie Dodge" Hagenmayer as the Snizek and Dodge Racing Team (better known as the Pacers) to field the well know Pacers altered
    IMG_3472.JPG

Roo

22. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

That was Allen George, R.I.P., in the restored "Bloody Mary".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. loudbang

loudbang

Early GAB ?

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

swi661.jpg

24. Phil1934

Phil1934

Probably not as Gabby was from Chicago and Garlits and Giovannoni were in FL

loudbang likes this.
  25. Really, Roo, you don't know the 202 Fiat? That is Bruce McDowel's original Bad News Coupe. Bruce and his friends built it originally in his mom's garage. He used a stock wheelbase Model A frame, A junk yard Hemi with 6 97's on a U fab log manifold, and what started as a pretty cherry original steel Fiat body. Bruce ran it a few times at San Gabe, and lets just say it wasn't impressive. But a fellow named Bob Sidebottom saw the car, and talked Bruce into bringing the car to his shop in Covina. Bob drastically shortened the Model A frame to the 86" wheelbase seen here, and rebuilt the roll bar/cage.
    The shop right next door to Bob's belonged to engine wizard Demar Ray. They put one of Demar's blown fuel Hemi's in the car, and the Bad News coupe was born. Bob drove, as Bruce saw the car after Bob shortened it, and decided "you did it, you drive it!" I saw the car run several times, and every run Bob made was arrow straight. They did well enough with it to earn a spot on the Standard 1320 Jr. Eliminator list.

[​IMG]

26. loudbang

loudbang

27. rooman

rooman

Dean, I knew that I had seen the car before but it was a bit before my time and I did not want to post any erroneous info--relying one someone like you to fill in the details.

Roo

28. Church Key

Church Key

Tommy Porter from Savannah,GA. A few years back a guy on the HAMB needed an ID for a Bantam body that he bought at Hersey. I recognized it right away as Tommy Porter altered.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Church Key

Church Key

30. loudbang

loudbang