Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. I feel that cushy ride…

drdave, Hamtown Al and guthriesmith like this.
  2. I heard the Buick owner's manual suggests taking Dramamine before going for a drive. I don't know.....just sayin'.... Nice cruiser!

drdave, winduptoy and guthriesmith like this.
  3. I passed up a nice '50 or '51 a few years back for $10,000. If I saw one comparable today, i would grab it.

guthriesmith likes this.
  4. Considered driving it to work today since we are having a "car show", but I didn't get a chance to fix the fuel leak that I sprung Tuesday evening since we went to look at an Edsel wagon last night with my son. Also, seems I might want to drive it more than a mile or two before taking off on a 30 mile trip in the dark. Maybe I can get back on it tonight and get it to the car wash for a bath. It has been sitting outside pretty much since I got it because we have been working on other junk and it was too hard to move in and out not running. I don't have that excuse now and the fall weather is finally here which is my favorite time of the year to drive this old stuff. :)

Thor1, drdave, bchctybob and 8 others like this.
  5. Tonight was a good night. Put Bob up on the lift so I could fix the last flexible area in the fuel line that failed. Got that fixed and decided to try to go to the gas station and car wash. It did good, but I think I need to do some tuning soon. I know it isn’t going to be a hot rod, but seems like it misses every now and then, etc. Anyway, drove it around town quite a bit and probably put 10 or so miles on it tonight running errands and cruising town. I’ll try to attach a video of the driving in town in the morning.

942D81CA-1AFE-4620-83F2-22625C7C9A72.jpeg 5EB75672-9F80-4A2B-8E8A-D366F7E0CBCF.jpeg FEE090CF-2D81-4CE9-9666-2A992ADC27EE.jpeg FA482AD3-1BDA-4523-9CAB-A26EB3E58D8D.jpeg 6118E653-C30D-4DBD-85E2-A92246AF36D6.jpeg BB8397E7-FBF5-48CD-A8A6-49BD69FCDA97.jpeg 70A92146-CD69-4B8C-946B-75976427D0DE.jpeg

Thor1, 40two, 38Chevy454 and 18 others like this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good, I know your are busy, but I am anxious to see those Buick hubcaps get shined up!
    Perfection cannot be rushed!

bchctybob and guthriesmith like this.
  7. Thanks and agreed on the hubcaps. But, I may be talking @firstinsteele out of a set of full wheel covers for the car. :cool: These seem like they are pretty pitted up or something. I will try to polish them up, but not sure how good they will look.

8. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Nice to see the Buick where it belongs, back on the roads.
    Probably it will run better and better the more you drive it, mine missed a lot to when i bought it, changed points plugs wires coil all of it but no big change, but after driving it around the first summer it kind of healed itself. and got alot smoother.
    Full wheels covers would look great

bchctybob, Sancho, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  9. Driving through town last night.

Thor1, drdave, bobss396 and 12 others like this.
  10. v8flat44

v8flat44

Thanks for the ride Jeff. Dynaflash, Dynaflo makes Ole Bob get up & go.......love it !!!!

41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  11. SS327

SS327

There’s a reason more Doctors bought Buicks than any other make back then. They were reliable and rode nice.

Acres, 41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad was from Pauls Valley and my mom was from Ada, and when I was in the Army, I was stationed at Fort Sill. I have never been to Guthrie, but it was so cool to be able to see a bit of Guthrie through the windshield of that magnificent Buick as you drove it around town at night time!
    Thanks for posting that cool video!

bchctybob, SS327 and guthriesmith like this.
  13. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Thanks for the ride, no more ticking, lifters are after some driving filled with oil.

SS327, ClayMart and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Took off about an hour early from work today and came home to jump in the Buick and go to lunch in town. Then, followed Silas to town again later. Trying to get some miles on the car so I can trust it. Drivers door doesn’t like to latch when I shut it. It doesn’t look very cool to have to slam it a few times to get it to latch. :rolleyes: Need to get that working better. This car sure makes people smile and wave when you drive it through town. :D

Thor1, Sancho, drdave and 8 others like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

They probably think “oh hey there’s grandpa! Wave!”
    ;)

drdave and guthriesmith like this.
  16. You are probably right! Not sure how I ended up as old as I am or becoming a grandpa... :eek: I now remember back when I was young and old guys would drive through town in their old cars. I have become the old guy... :oops:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Thor1, 38Chevy454, Sancho and 10 others like this.
  17. We all have, but at least we are still cool!! Great car, thanks for the story.

18. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

I bought mine when turning 31 so were probably the worlds youngest grandpa ever, without knowing it.
    It also attracts 80+ ladies and sadly not so many 30+, they probably got some memories coming back when seeing these cars.

19. SS327

SS327

Yea, but them 80 year old ladies know things. ;) It reminds them of their ankles in the air days.

'28phonebooth and Acres like this.
  20. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Devin

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. v8flat44

v8flat44

Ya know what; I'm not bored at all :)

22. Me either. This is actually becoming pretty fun. :D

23. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Man this brings back childhood memories of my dad's 53 Chev going back from Tel Aviv to our hometown in Israel at night. Same sounds going over bumps (of which there were plenty back then), doing about 50 MPH, falling asleep on the back seat...

24. sololobo

sololobo

What a fantastic Buick, I would love to have that stunner!

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. The Dynaflow seems to be running quitely but it may need need new shocks.

41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  26. That had to be something! I was in Tel Aviv a few years back and the only old American car I came across was an early 70’s Mustang.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  27. Well, drove Bob around town more today even taking my father-in-law on a tour of Guthrie after we got home from going to lunch in the 56. There is a bluegrass festival in town this weekend, so lots of folks out. Everything went fine other than when I went to roll up the drivers window this evening after another trip to town for groceries. This is the door that doesn’t seem to want to latch. Apparently one of the times I slammed the door to get it latched, I broke the glass. :( Pretty discouraging even though not a huge deal to fix. If only I would have fixed the door latch instead of just continuing to slam it to get it latched. :(

Thor1, bchctybob, drdave and 6 others like this.
  28. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

really enjoy your posts and this new car is really growing on me. Thanks for sharing.

guthriesmith likes this.
  29. Broke it good too. :( Anyone have a spare laying around? :D

17C22213-7531-420E-9BE9-EC5CABF997F0.jpeg

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

drdave, 41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.