Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Abomination" Henry J gasser- on the operating table

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Feb 2, 2010.

1. solid

solid

What a great car. On my fav lists for sure. Cool shop too.

2. nice work on one cool looking car

3. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

There has been a lot of work done to the car that I haven't gotten around to posting. So much that it's back on the street and kickin ass.

Here's where I left off.

Scored this moon timing cover off ebay. It was listed poorly and had a very reasonable buy it now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old Dow 7 coating was cool, but it didn't match the plate I am using. Scored the plate from a HAMBer.

After a good soaking in Mother's Chrome wheel cleaner and some TLC, it was just the way I wanted it. It looks to me like the ears were cut off from Moon. I know you can special order them that way. But I could be wrong.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Started on some door skins. Also changed over the door levers to sliders like an old vette.

Here's how it was.
    [​IMG]

Here's the slider. Pull the peg back to lock the door, and forward to open it.
    [​IMG]

In order for the skin to fit smooth on the door, I needed to make a frame for to space it out past the screw heads and mechanisms. I have to countersink the screw heads on the frame now, so that the skin can then screw to the frame with some nice button head screws.
    [​IMG]

This is where I have left off the door skin project. I have the sheet aluminum now. This will continue at a later date.

5. My gosh! What was a totally awesome car I first saw about 2 years ago, just keeps getting better and better. I can't stand it! But keep it up.

6. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

reinforced the front clip. Also did some work to the hood scoops.

Scraped all the tar undercoating from the underside of the hood. That gray color is the original exterior paint color.
    [​IMG]

Welded a lip on the scoops. Some of you may notice that they have always had a lip. The old job was just a quicky done with bondo and was only temporary. Here they are with a piece formed and puddle welded on. They look kinda like crap without any primer on them. I will show them primered later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

great work, as always Ryan, and great score on the Moon timing cover. are you gonna be able to make the Hunnert Car Heads-Up with it?

8. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Since I was still waiting for the motor to be finished from the engine shop, I decided to drop in this '66 327 for mock up to build the new exhaust.
    [​IMG]

Obviously I'm keeping the old chrome headers, but the old dumps and baffles had to go. They looked and sounded pretty cool but the baffles were way too restrictive and I don't want to choke this new motor.

The new look is going to be like the Brasher and Cummings 33 Willys

here are the components used in making the new exhaust.
    -3 in. purple horny glass packs
    -3 1/2 U bend
    -3 in. collector flanges
    -3 1/2 to 3 flowmaster reducers
    -3 1/2 straight pipe (never used it)

[​IMG]

Started by cutting and fitting the U bend. Flipped the reducer around backwards to make it expand. Cut the turn down off the glass pack and ground the flange on the glass pack to fit into the 3 1/2 pipe exact.
    [​IMG]
    Then tacked it up
    [​IMG]
    Once it was tacked I cut it back open just ahead of the glass pack flange and welded that up. After that I tacked it back together.
    [​IMG]
    Mock up
    [​IMG]

9. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Just about got the motor broke in. Trying to work the bugs out. But yeah, should be there to race Falfasnightmare's gold 55

10. Lucky3

Lucky3

Kool Ride !!!
    Way better choice on the pistons (forged) than the high silicone ones you had. Might mention, you might have the engine shop check the straightness of the wrist pin as it usually takes the same hit as the rod.

See ya in Indy @ Good Guys, Hangin in Brownsburg with the Cluster Busters on Wednesday !

Wheels up !!

11. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Yeah.... about those pistons... The ones I was going to buy weren't available in .020 over. So I had to just put another set of Hypereutectic 10.5 to 1 Keith Black pistons. Not what I wanted to do, but I wasn't going to bore the motor .010 over or have custom pistons made..

As for the wrist pin, I changed out the stock rods to Scat pro comp with a full floating wrist pin.

12. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Nice car bro. Who did the lettering? It looks very good. The car looks like it stepped out of a more evil version of Two Lane Blacktop. Very very cool

13. I got a camera. Who's gonna win?

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

More work on the pipes.

Here's the pair partially welded up. I was going to paint them white. But I changed my mind. Black looks better.
    [​IMG]

I made some flanges on the Lathe to fill the gap between the 3 in pipe and 3 1/2.
    [​IMG]
    Cut off the excess tube and blended the weld.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Hours of blending out welds rewelding in fillet welds and blending some more. I welded on some hangers and painted them. Here's the finished product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Thanks
    I did the lettering and striping

Honestly I don't know. It might be really close.

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Got the motor back. AAAAAHHH it is beautiful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After talking to an older friend of mine who is an old super stock racer and owner of Roy Clarks Hemi super stocker and 2 of Arlen Vanke's super stockers, we decided the cross ram severely needed a cross over tube.
    When I thought about it, with a divorced intake and exhaust, I'm basically running 2 4 cylinder motors off the same crank... no good.

So I determined right in the middle below the carbs was the best place to put it. My S/S Mopar man Phil helped me machine these aluminum bungs to fit into the intake. He left it up to me to hog out the holes with a die grinder. Talk about nervous!

I got the holes close enough for the bungs to press in. Then sealed them with aluminum colored silicone, that is supposed to be relatively fuel resistant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I connected it with a piece of hose, kinda like an old Drag Star intake. Note, if you do this, put a coiled spring inside otherwise the vacuum will suck it shut. I had to take it back apart and install one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PCV installed
    [​IMG]

17. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I ran into an issue when setting up the timing cover and cam button. i was shooting for around .010 tollerance between the face of the button and the timing cover.

The problem was that there was around a 1/4 inch.
    Here's with the plate removed. I used a Isky "Thrust Bumper." It's a cam button with the bearings in it. Nice little unit.
    [​IMG]

I modified the plate. Took it to a friends and machined up an aluminum button and pressed it into the plate. I fitted it up and checked it. .015 tolerance. I'm happy with that.

[​IMG]

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

hope ta see it in a couple weeks! lookin great man!

19. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Here's the motor with some of the go fast parts on it. I didn't want to paint it Chevy orange anymore. So my Mopar man Phil hooked me up with some Race Hemi orange. I think it looks pretty good on a chevy too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

enloe likes this.
  20. I have had the pleasure of seeing this car over the last several years at all the midwest shows and I love to look at it each time! Its a great car.

21. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

dropping the motor in.
    [​IMG]

ran into a problem when puting on the rockers. My push rods were too short. So I put in a set of Manley .100 longer 1 piece rods, 7.900 length. Problem solved. Roller Rockers are Crane.
    [​IMG]

My timing cover wouldn't accept the old indicator. So I made this one.
    [​IMG]

The red cowl didn't look good against my new orange, so it's black now. I like it much better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plumbing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pipes on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Hellvedere Steve

Hellvedere Steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Coalfield

One word, BITCHIN!

23. 2 more words....BAD ASS!

24. solid

solid

That thing gets me excited!!!

25. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

So awesome.....that is the perfect Henry J without a doubt.

enloe likes this.
  26. Sa weeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!
    Very cool car!!

27. DMFB

DMFB

I don't think the "lift" I just got has anything to do with the fact it's 8 in the morning, hahaha. That thing is BITCHIN!

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

two more words..."about time!"

see you Saturday, Ryan

29. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

I'm in, that thing is SWEEEEET. Love the intake, the air cleaners, the stance, the wheels, everything.

30. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

VERY Cool Car!!