Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 63 Fairlane family wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by stretch58, Nov 11, 2020.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

That's what I.....WOULD DO. I just think two door wagons look soooooo much cooler than 4 doors. (think Nomad)

"back-in-the-day" :)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:) I had a little 260 in a falcon Sprint. VERY peppy and strong little V-8 (in a Falcon!)
    Had it rebuilt and Earnest (the mechanic) installed "pop-up" pistons and boosted the CR "some". (who cared how much.....hi-test fuel was 100 octane.... and 25 cents /gal.!!) I installed a 4 barrel carb and exhaust headers with a pair of Thrush mufflers and it was a VERY quick little ride .
    I would install some sort uva OD tranny and maybe a 3.25 or 3.55:1 gear to get that lil wagon(full of kids and family) moving down the road with some haste!!
    6sally6

stretch58 likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Think about this ..... the very first Shelby Cobras were built with 260's.

partssaloon likes this.
  3. stretch58

stretch58

Yeah the guy i got the car from was a member of that group. ill get signed up with those guys.

loudbang likes this.
  4. stretch58

stretch58

Sooooo. Did some digging last night and I got Bit. The engine was [rebuilt] more like a krylon overhaul. Fixed the pcv system so hopefully now i wont have an oily engine bay. Located a 302 that is actually rebuild. so gotta find a four barrel intake for it that i can still mount my throttle linkage to and a set of headers. On going to be keeping the 260 and go threw it because my wife really wants a mustang and ive found a 6cyl one local thats a clean car but has half way torn down engine that sat in the rain.

loudbang likes this.
  5. ken1949car

ken1949car
    from chicago

Nice wagon! Enjoy!
    I got a big soft spot for the Fords of 63 and 64. My dad had a small bridge building company in southern Indiana so I grew up riding or driving all over the hills, mostly south of Indy.
    He always bought Ford Country Squires. He would fold down the back seat, lay in some plywood to protect the carpet and load up all the tools, supplies. Trade it in every year.
    My best memory was a 64 he had. I think it was a 352- 4 barrel. That car would haul the mail! Leaf springs in the back made it handle like it was on rails.
    One summer when I was getting my learners permit, I was the designated driver and slave for a bridge he was building near Evansville. 90 miles one way from our home just north of Louisville with only 30 miles of somewhat straight road. He would sleep most of the way. If I accelerated to fast, braked to hard or anything to wake him up I caught hell! He taught me how to drive smoothly, save the brakes and the car but still make time.

loudbang and stretch58 like this.
  6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mebbe lakewood has a bellhousing that would work?

loudbang likes this.
  7. Kid Rocker

Kid Rocker

What a beautiful wagon! I just sold my 69 Ranger to buy this 64 as our new/old family car. E939ECA1-5A74-44C9-B519-634463AC0651.jpeg

8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Dream car,Rocker.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    loudbang and Kid Rocker like this.
  9. PA Gas

PA Gas

One of my favorite cars that I have had. My was an absolute blast to drive. Good luck with yours.

Attached Files:

10. stretch58

stretch58

thats awesome!!!

loudbang likes this.
  11. stretch58

stretch58

[​IMG]

Alright!! It’s party time. Got a nice “rebuilt” 302. Going to break it down and go threw it because it’s been sitting five plus years in a shop and never fired. So I’m looking for anyone who has done this swap. My 260 is the two freeze plug block so I’ve read that I’m going to have to modify the motor mounts? I also have a c4 and will go to the rebuilders. Looking for a four barrel intake that will hopefully let me keep my throttle linkage. Trying to decide if I wanna mess with headers or just run the manifolds. Motor is bored 30 over and has a (rv2) cam. Hope everyone had a good new year’s! Here’s to 2021!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Looks good!
    A stock 289-4V intake should fit your linkage bolt pattern, but the rod from the bellcrank to the carb is a little different because the location of the throttle lever is not in the same place as the 2V carb.

A 351W will fit with modified headers with no shock tower modifications. I did this with my '64 sedan but don't recommend it as the front end gets too heavy.

I have had three 1964 Fairlanes. Two 260s and one 289. All came with road draft tubes (aka stink tubes).

I believe your motor mounts will work, there is a separate upper plate with 6" bolt hole spacing for the early engines and 7" spacing for the later ones. I think this plate is simple to fabricate.

Early Fairlane motor mounts are among the best of the small block Ford designs. If the rubber fails there is still metal overlap to keep them from moving very far.

loudbang likes this.
  13. That must have been a Canadian thing; I've never seen a SBF here with one.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

From reading up on it, it seems that whether or not the stink tube was used depended on locality the car was sold into in the US.

And yes, Canada did continue to "enjoy" road draft tubes later, I had one on a 1970 car.

loudbang likes this.