Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 58 Chevy Del-pala update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58 Delpala, Oct 1, 2009.

1. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Thats right its a 2 door post Delray that I am adding some Impala stuff to. It should be a 1 of a kind. Got a friend cutting me some Delpala script on a CNC that will freak people out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lawman

lawman

I Just live those DelRays !!!!!

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Its looking good and coming together well...I cant wait to see how you pull it all together!

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Have you added three taillights per side to the car...???

R-

5. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

No thats where the Del-pala comes from. 75% Delray and 25% Impala to include a tripower 348. The only Impala body parts are the side scoops. I will be using some Impala trim pieces and other not so noticable Impala stuff like Seat covers.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Impala was a 2 door hardtop ONLY in 1958...they didn't make any two doors...IF you really want to "freak people out"...you'd add all the correct Impala stuff...including the grille and park lights...dash trim, steering wheel and front fender louvers...

And isn't that what it's all about anyway...owning a car so distinct that no one else has one...???

R-

7. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

The only things that were 58 Impala ONLY was the side trim including the "pitchforks" and spears, the 3 tailights and that means a different trunk lid too, and the roof "vent". There were BelAir hardtops and the fender louvers were on the Belair and Biscayne. the grill and front end stuff is all the same for any 58 except the Impala had some trim on the fender tops above the headlights. So with that being said the only thing different on my car is 1 the post, 2 the roof, 3 the tailights/trunklid.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

OK...so, other than the posts, which you already have, why don't you add those Impala items and "really freak people out"...??? Those parts you list are still around...and YOU will have the only '58 Impala two door around...!!!

R-

9. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Cause I dont have $500 for the 3 taillight panels and $1000 for a trunk lid if you can even get one for that anymore. I would have to cut up a real impala to get the roof part, so thats why its being dont this way.

10. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

11. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Thanks str8axle55

12. LOVE! '58 Chevys....My brother had one painted by Watson,Candy Apple Red,when I was a kid.

13. gonmad

gonmad

58's are lame............................

Lol!

14. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

You got any pics of that car? Thats kinda the look I am going to try for is a Watson style car.

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

The Impala roof is totally different as well...shorter windshield than the sedans and bel-air hardtops...if you used an Impala windshield you could prolly get a 2-3" sneaky chop done without much cost...would look awsome on the post body :D

16. Five8Rag

Five8Rag

Dont forget the back seats, front seat, front seat trim, steering wheel as it was mentioned, even the rocker moldings.

Nice build
    TTT

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

As asked...PLEASE post pics...would love to see them!!

18. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Firewall back is a whole other car inside and out than a normal 58.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the Impala was to have a Impala only, specific front end, but at last minute Chevy scrapped the front end cause of the extra cost.

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

20. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Am I the only one seeing a delpalacamino with an extended cab?

21. gonmad

gonmad

I was waiting for someone to finally say something to that effect. Pretty much the same, but totaly different except for the front clip.

Don't forget the roof "vent", can't have a Delpala without one of them.

22. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Bad weather today so I got off early (perks of being a Golf Course Equipment Tech) and went to work on the girl again. I knew I was going to have to replace the driverside rear corner piece because of rust and a previous accident. Originally I was going to drill the spot welds, but with the damage it became too hard so I cut it right along the seam.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can barely see the accident damage in the first picture because whoever did the repairs did a pretty decent job of pulling and hammering it out. Well when I bought the car it came with a bunch of sheetmetal and one of the pieces was an NOS piece to fix that corner with. SO I cut out the old stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As soon as I cut it out the trunk lip and fender moved ALOT! So I had to do some "persuading" of the fender and trunk lip to get the new piece to fit correctly. Took about an hour and 20 or 30 test fits to see where it was at and I had to mount the trunk lid to get the lip right. Well I got everything as close as I could and started to tack the new piece in when I ran out of MIG gas again.
    [​IMG]
    Well I got it tacked in and closed the trunk lid to see how it looked and I still have some work to do to clean up the lip area before I finish welding it up, but I like the progress and once I get gas this weekend I should be able to finish it up pretty quick.
    [​IMG]
    You can see what I mean just above my wrist. Looks like my goal of pulling the frame in Feb might be realistic now. on a side not.... If you got a 20lb tank for gas GET A BIGGER ONE!!! Man has that thing made me madder then hell a few time running out right in the middle of something.

Motivation is a wonderful thing!

23. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Actually you are both wrong. Belair HT doors fit Impalas The rear quarters are the same except for the pitchforks. So the bodies are not "totally different.

And when you build a Del-pala then you can build it your way but this is mine and I can build it without the roof vent and still call it a Del-pala.:) :eek:

24. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Well lets see how many other people want to make fun of my build or tell me I am building my car the wrong way. Alot of progress has been made. Heres the pics of where I am as of now.

Attached Files:

25. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Hey man, I think its pretty cool. Personally I'd add additional Impala trim but thats just me. In the end, do what you want, as you want because THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!

26. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

27. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

28. jandk

jandk

Whats the progress looking like?

29. lawman

lawman

Keep posting Tom (Tired Old Man)

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yeah, I'd like to see an update as well.