Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 409-34

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 20, 2016.

1. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Cool schtuff - subscribed. '34 question: what is the extra piece of metal at the rear of the door window opening for? I saw this on another thread here where a HAMBer added it to "make it" a '34.

2. Is Keith wearing safety goggles now for grinding? Apparently he learned his lesson the hard way ;)

3. So the build will be something along the lines of what Elpalcko did for Anthony on his 32 3 window that has a build thread here on the HAMB

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ryan.Neat video.Thanks for posting.Gonna hop on for the ride along.Looks like fun.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've heard this called a "smokers window", not positive but the early 33's may not have had it. I guess it worked like a wing vent that slides back slightly before rolling down.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Nice ! Should be a Ground-Pounder .

7. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Thanks for the info. Interesting feature.

8. Neat car, love to see another W Motor.

9. D Staig

D Staig

That video was cool!

10. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So Keith has mostly been working on the gaps... It's terribly boring to photograph... and I've been busy as hell handling some messed up forum stuff. In any case, I took this a few minutes ago:

02.jpg

Also, I was screwing around with some time lapse ideas yesterday and uploaded the below for shits and giggles. It takes place between 8am and cuts off right before we took a lunch break...

K13, kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  12. I like the car, and the aerial footage is pretty neat. But I have to ask what is the really long rod sticking out the end of the cordless drill on the roof used for?

Stogy likes this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Removing and installing hood hinge pins!

Stogy and skatermann like this.
  14. Hey there little coop! Welcome!

15. best way to remove the hood rods is to spin them. even when they are old and rusty with a couple shots of wd and a good drill they will come out. of course you do have to tap it out enough to get the chuck to grab it.
    i was doing this once with an industrial high horsepower drill that was originally a right angle drill that i pulled out of a scrap barrel because the angle head was stripped. i removed the angle and put the chuck onto the shaft that stuck right out the end of the motor. you now had to hold the motor like a pistol. i started to spin a very nasty rusted hinge pin when the pin bound up and the torque twisted it out of my hand and as it did my wrist hit the trigger lock. in the blink of an eye it spun the hood, drill cord into a ball that only stopped moving after the pile reached the wall and pulled the cord out of the socket. ..........use a light duty drill.

Stogy and Tim like this.
  16. Wow car looks great!

17. Fuelaltereds4life

Fuelaltereds4life

I thought that music sounded familiar... it was the soundtrack to the Baillon collection barn find in France... I love the 34 and the 409... my favorite Ford body style and my favorite motor. Looking forward to this build! Excellent work!

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm wondering if that belongs to a certain business-owner here in Austin?

LTM75110 likes this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No sir... It belongs to someone from North Texas.

LTM75110 likes this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Keith has been stuck in jury duty for the past week, but got a reprieve for a couple days before he has to go back...

So much damned time is in setting up the radiator and gaping the hood and hood sides that it's almost mind blowing.

03.jpg

04.jpg

Stogy, kidcampbell71, 63fdsnr and 4 others like this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

22. ... jury duty ?!! Dang ! I throw those things in the trash. Only because I check the mail once a month. If they email it, forget it .... don't check that either. If they knock on the door, I don't answer. :) I hear capital murder trials pay more .... but the lights in my house are off, with the dog muzzled, and the doorbell unplugged ..... close the blinds !

Free Keith soon !

509garyd likes this.
  23. Texascash

Texascash
    from Texas

Top notch work, and looking great!

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Jury duty...I took it pretty serious, the cases I got. Damn if they didn't appoint me Foreman, twice in a row! But justice was served...
    Third one I attended I was asked if the sub's appearance prejudiced me.
    My reply: "Oh yeah, your honor...This guy's guilty as hell!" I was excused.

After a number of hours fighting (yes, Fighting!) '34 front sheet metal, Jury duty would be a sunny day!
    But observing Keith's methodology I can see the light...
    That is one stupefyin' '34! Really appreciate the peeks in the shop you share.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Today, a floor was tag teamed...

05.jpg

06.jpg

Stogy, cadillacoffin and 509garyd like this.
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Careful there.Or you just might light up something that you don`t want lit up.:rolleyes:
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Beautiful work! 34s are so cool. To me they're at least as iconic as 32s...maybe even more.
    With 32s both coupes and roadsters are great with or without fenders. For me a 34 has to be a fenderless chopped coupe with louvers on the trunk..

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rolled pan... So much work going into making something look so simple...

07.jpg

29. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Nice pan. Going to have louvers too?

30. great idea, rolling the pan INWARDS and down. i have to build a pan for the coupe i am working on now and i never liked the "baby with a full diaper" look of most roll pans.
    permission to steal this idea?

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.