Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2010 H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Man i gotta make it to one of these before i die..dont ever stop holding this event

2. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Been to the last 3, plan on coming as long as Ryan keeps on putting it on. Gonna try my hardest to make it over on Friday night next year for the whole shooting match. And yes it was obvious it wasn't as crazy as last year.

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

had a great time again....even with the heat !!!!

4. VonDad

VonDad

Twas moochoe cool. Been to everyone and this year was pretty darn good. The first one was the best. But then I like things personal and small.

Best thing about the drags I remember is my daughter sitting in the stands at the first one and Sam Stroub jumped on his drag car he built specially for the Drags and she turned around eyes shiny wide and excited, and said, "I felt that down in my chest!"

That's why we go to the drags. We feel it. It's down inside. And you remember it forever. At the first it got quiet, and really hot so we went to the registration tent and hung out with Ryan Marcie Roothawg and his lady.. Drank beer and had a great time.

Since then, have met and enjoyed everybody we've encountered. Rode in Weekender's Henry J (just through the pits) and every year we say howdy and renew with a lot of folk.

This has been something that fills a spot. My family enjoys it and my grand daughter thought it was neat. Spent all day spinning in her little seat each time a car made a pass. Many memories. So thanks everyone. For all you do to get your cars to the drags and allowing us to revel in them.

Thanks Ryan for the HAMB. Life would suck without it..

Later all
    VonDad

5. jho

jho
    from Omaha

Thanks a ton everyone involved i had a great time. Cant wait till next year. Can i register yet?

6. Butch M

Butch M

Had a great time .......

7. slimpick

slimpick

Maybe I'm missing something... Where are all the pictures?

8. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

At 61 years of age, I have been thinking about the things I still want to do before it`s too late to do them...My 'bucket list" had only 1 thing...break the 100 MPH barrier in my old `60s styled `40 ford coupe. When I broke the 383 motor about 2 weeks before the drags, I was afraid it wouldn`t happen this year...I quickly put rings and bearings in a .030 over 327 sbc, and put it in the coupe...

I can die now!!! 100.90 MPH, and 13.92 sec!!! I know it`s not fast, but I`ve been trying since about 1965.

Thanks Ryan!!!! Everything about this past weekend was just PERFECT!

Tom T.

9. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Gotta admit that I wasn't really looking forward to this one like the others. My focus has been on other things this year and I haven't put the miles on the coupe or the time working on the Field Car that I have in the past. I knew I was going, but didn't have that anticipation that I usually do.

But loading the trailer on Wednesday night, it all started coming back to me. The weekend was a blast and I'm already shopping for parts to get another .10 or .2 next time out.

The HAMB Drags is the greatest car event on the planet.

10. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

thanks ryan for letting us slowpokes into your little gathering! we will be back if you will have us!

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  12. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Great times. It was a blast. (One of Malcom's photos)

Attached Files:

13. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Had fun as always this year! Haven't missed one yet and I don't plan on it ever. Great seeing all of you guys again. Steve, Reggie, Dirty's, Buzzard, Lux, Fox, Wild Bill...

Great times!!!

monkey

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

15. slimpick

slimpick

16. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

Thanks a bunch for putting this together. It was my first time at this event and this year was my first at the Lonestar Round Up. I plan on going to many more HAMB events with the IC crew.

17. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

hey THANKS FROM THE WHOLE FAMILY to your family B-Scott

18. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Man-O-man, what a great weekend! A huge thanks to Ryan, Marcie and the whole HAMB crew who pulled together this event! This year was much more relaxed than last year and the event seemed to be much more personal and even of a higher quality (wasn't sure that was possible). It was wonderful to see folks that I haven't seen since last year and to place faces with names of HAMBers that I have only met online.

Thanks again and I am already looking forward to next year!

19. catdad49

catdad49

Glad to hear it all went well and being that everyone was cool and a had a great time, I'm pretty sure there will be no miffed feelings. Can't wait to see some pics!! Cat

20. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

This year was definite improvement over last, with pre-reg, however I saw some issues with that. Had some friends and people who wanted to drag but couldn't. I understand that was their fault. And I told em so. But the most disturbing thing I heard was some people towards the end of the track talking as I walked past, and one of them stating "I preregistered so I could park on pit side, I was never gonna run my car." That bugged me.

Definitely ain't like the 1st one, huddled under the shade of the popup with you, Marcie, JK, his wife, Warpigg, and his lady.

21. Rodshop

Rodshop

Only missed the first one- have been to every one since. This was well run, cars well chosen, and what a great hotel to hang out at. Thanks Ryan and crew. Last year was still fun, but I agree this was a make or break year in terms of re-capturing the feel of the HAMB Drags. This was a huge success.
    Rodshop

22. BLAKE

BLAKE

Great job, Ryan, Marcie, and team... after the hugeness that was last year's event, you guys really managed to get the cool vibe back. This year's event was no less significant, but it seemed so... I dunno... 'easy'. We got to just sorta sit back and enjoy it, but only because of all the hard work you guys put in.

Thanks, again.

23. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan a heart felt thanks is in order you put on a weekend not just a race thanks for tolerating all of us hooligans for three days

Lumpy

24. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Ryan, thanks again for a great time and thanks to everyone that put time in on this awesome event.

25. 35Hemi

35Hemi
    from Kansas

Ryan, Marcie and the whole HAMB crew - Fantastic Job! You put on a tremendous weekend that has become the "must attend" event of the year. Friday night in the parking lot, great bands, getting in line for tech inspection, hearing the cars fire up, the tension just builds to its crescendo. Saturday at MoKan!!!
    Saturday, no big lines, no hassles, just pure and fun drag racing. I love the variety of cars that show up. Some real COOL rides. My helmets off to you! Keep up the great work.

26. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Definite thanks to Ryan,Marcie, and everyone else involved!!! Thanks for letting me act a fool friday in the hotel lot, and see just what the lil blue coupe would do on Saturday! This was my first Drags I've been trying like hell the last 4 years to go but military and work commitments screwed me over! Never again I'm not missing another one at all!!!!

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like there isn't a dissatisfied attendee. Only means it was well organized and run. Having not been there I'll take the posts as gospel and make plans to attend for the first time next year. I've long thought of going but for me, if your going to a drag race.................you had better be racing. Not having a car prepared for the 1/4 mile for over 30 years I just didn't see the point of traveling that far only to watch everyone but ME having a good time pitting their skills against the clock and whoever was in the other lane.
    Well, it seems that might change during the next year as a sprint race contender just about fell in my lap thanks to an un-named HAMBer. If this winter can find me with enough time to make this pile race ready I intend to head west next summer to see for myself what the excitement is all about. Film at 11:00:)

Frank

28. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I honestly did not know what to expect cause this was my first time. AMAZING!

I gotta tell ya - some people I know were grumbling about the new format....and once again - I did not know what to expect.

But once I was there............witnessing it all.....
    I "get it"

I will be back!!!!!

This is THE best drag race event that I have ever been to - I personally liked it better than the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion in KY.

29. senior fried

senior fried

X 2 .... Hey Blake ,Don't mean to quote you, but you always seem to say the right thing. well put !

30. waldo39

waldo39
    from Illinois

Thanks for sending the packet out early. I got mine just before I left for B'ville. I dropped my HA/GR off at a friends in Carthage on the way to UT. Picked it up on Thurs, swap meet on Fri, tech. Fri and the great H.A.M.B. drags Sat. I drove over 4100 miles to take in both events. Damn sure worth it!!! I'm already building a new flat head for next year. Can't wait!