Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2009 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2009.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Ryan, Glad I ran into you in the parking lot on Sunday morning. It was good meeting you. This event has gotten better every year we have attended (the last 5) and know you guys and gals will tweak it to be even better next year.

This could well be the last bastion of heads up, run what ya brung, old fashioned drag racing left.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

worth the 40 hours behind the wheel for sure... there are so many people that inspire me to do this every year. It's the people more than the cars, the cars are just the best icing a cake could ever have...

3. ryno

ryno

ryan, man you guys all did a kick ass job.
    the whole weekend was surreal.
    Friday night was the best time me and my family have had in along time.
    the drags where awesome.
    root's wheelies, dw in the 10's,suicide getting full passes,etc...

if i may, some suggestions for next year.
    pre reg,like you said, but assign a entry time( think boarding the plane, group 1,2,3, etc) do it by pre reg.1st 20 people that send in there forms get to enter at 10-10;30 group 2 goes in at 10:30 -11:00.
    make the pit area a true pit area. no street cars.race cars and 1 support car only per entry. make the first part of the spectator side for the car show area.if help is need to enforce this i'd be willing to help in ANY way possible.

4. BinderRod

BinderRod

Ryan and crew, Thanks for the great show! This is like a family reunion for the wife and I. We got to see people we see once a year. Great job and we will see you next year for sure.

5. sololobo

sololobo

I can't imagine the pressure you must have put on yourself as this event unfolded. You handled it so well, it was nice to have back up friends like El Jeffe, Reggie, Joe Cabral, and other Texas pals. Your gal Marcie and her posse were amazing performers as was all the MoKan crew. This is a classic event that will be talked about as one of the great ones. Thanks man!!~Sololobo~

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hadda blast...

got sunburned...

nosurf (jay) kept me distracted while Ryan snatched my wallet, grabbed some bills, then threw an alliance tag at me and said " Now yer an alliance member, you cheap basturd!"

Thanks Ryan

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Had a great time. Amazed at the quality of the cars. Got burnt. Excited about next year. I think we need one of those countdown timers.......

8. Buhaha!!! :-D

9. flying clutchman

flying clutchman

Did that red coupe that was pictured on 3 wheels survive?

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so amped for next year. given my experiences there, ryno has some suggestions worth considering. i am happy to help work gates for an hour or two, also. quite happy.

ryan, it doesn't much matter how good a promoter you are. you built the ball field, and the players are coming out of the cornfield. no worries. just good times.

11. I wish I could have been there looked like it was a lot of fun.

12. That was a helluva' ride. That was the only pass I saw it make. It was tucked in on it's trailer on Sunday morning.

13. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

We had a great time as well. When we got close and saw the line I was afraid that there had been an accident. Glad to find out that just a bunch of people were ready to see some hot rods. The guy that came with me has been to some NHRA races and such but he had a blast he said it was so much better than the big sponsored races because there was such a wide variety of cars. And Ryan don't kid yourself you are putting on one heck of a show. Also I am humbled that a bunch of my pics are in your blog entry, thanks for the big head. LOL That's the only reason I shoot them is to give someone else a chance to see what I got to see.

14. Wildfire

Wildfire

I couldn't make it this year, but a good buddy of mine did. I'd been after him for the last 2 years to go, trying to explain everything he was missing.

He is now officially a convert and addicted to the HAMB drags - he absolutely could not believe what he was seeing.

Congratulations to Ryan the the Team for pulling off what I'm seeing to be the biggest and best yet. Only 363 days to next year!!!

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

I fricken' love the HAMB.

16. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Ryan,

Hey I can't Say enough about your crew. Good hard working people are always supported. Thanks for the great time that will now be a prominent memory for my family. B-Scott

17. sololobo

sololobo

Spectacular Drag Race event at Mokan drag strip 2009!! An event of unequaled excitement unfolded on a perfect weather day just outside the little community of Asbury, a well managed pandamonium prevailed as hundreds of hotrod speed freaks gathered to honor our group founders dream of nostalgia type iron facing off with like minded folks. Yes, cool heads managed this event like an everyday drag meet. Anyone that was there is still vibrating with the vibes of the day. Ryan, Marcy, and staff fortified by friends El Jeffe, Reggie, and Joe Cabral all of the Kontinentals, and many other friends stood by the staff and all was well. Cool heads prevailed and a glorious day was enjoyed by everyone lucky enough to be there. Thanks to all for such a great event. ~Sololobo~

18. monsterflake

monsterflake

where are the pics (or video) of the gray sedan with the little blower on it. it was running (very quickly) through the mufflers before it broke. neat car, but i didn't get to see it up close...

19. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Yes it did. He is a machine shop/engine builder/head-porter and lives 2 miles from my house so I know him aliitle. When I saw him in the hotel parking lot am asked him about his wild ride he was wondering what the big deal was about (?). I suggested he needs to see a video of his run to know why everyone was asking how clean his britches were after that.

M. McF.

20. Hey, it's me, Scotty (Jangleguy) on Rocky's computer.
    This was a landmark event. As we sat on the highway, waiting to get in, we heard some references to Woodstock and they turned out to be accurate. Everyone involved, from Ryan to the family attending their first drag race(!), made this a once-in-a-lifetime weekend. Yeah, it sure COULD HAVE gotten ugly, but everyone there was determined to accentuate the positive. When DW held his busted pinion up over his head at mid track while boiling hot 90 weight ran down his arm and screamed for joy, I think he said it for us all.
    Thanks to everyone for another highlight in my life! There'll never be another one like this.....

21. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Thanks Ryan and Marcie.
    I'm a lucky guy to have made all seven, and this one was on overload.
    My bucket list is overflowing from just this event. And thanks to every single
    person that was there and for all the cars that just kicked it.

22. This has got to be the coolest event I've ever been to !! Met new people and even met some ol long time friends !! Very impressed with the caliber of cars running and I'd say it's safe to say I'm hooked for sure !!! A Big Hit for sure Ryan !!! >>>>.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a blast! A huge thanks to everyone that worked to make the 2009 H.A.M.B. Drags a success.

With the large number of racers and spectators, this event could have turned into an unorganized mess, but it was pulled off in style!
    Everyone I talked to was having a great time and enjoying themselves....

I was able to make three 15-second passes in my Galaxie (along side my buddy 'jho' Jason in his '63-1/2 Galaxie) and just couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Those three runs we made were pretty close each time, and certainly weren't earth-shattering times, but they sure got the adrenaline flowing! We were both so excited we were shaking after each run.

You can count on us being back next year for sure!! :)

Thanks again!
    Malcolm

24. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Thank you Ryan & Marcie.
    Laura & I, as well as all of the Yay-hoos had a blast!

Best pit crew in the world:

DamnittDave........road logistics & tire washer
    Slick50 & Devillgal....Bull in the pits & ambulance bringer
    Chicken & Kerry.....suppliers of wisdom & sanity
    Rocky.....Tech insp. support
    Ryno & Jeff Beck......more ambulance, band aids & parking saviors
    3dnsouth......Beer!
    A 31 mofo & Senior fried....lunch & laughs!
    Nosurf....loading heaping helpings of the too much crap we brought
    Glen & crew.....inspiration! (these guys ain't fucking around!)
    LuxBlue.....technical wizard
    Last but not least:
    Jrussell & the Iowa empire.....Love, Buicks, & cheese salad!

Thanks also to MokanMan. Glad you put up w/ this crazy bunch. Sorry for the mess:)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  25. Had a blast!!!
    The entire weekend was perfect.

Dont sell yourself short ryan, this kinda stuff isnt easy, herding people is hard to do, and generally takes a small army to pull off.... Maybe time to start thinking about the design for the volunteer tshirts next year.

I would like to say thanks to everyone that made this happen, the dudes at MOKAN, the racers, pit crews, hambers, spectators, the hotel staff, the bands....
    Everyone!

26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I had so much FUN dammit...

I don't even know where to start...

The Drags RULED...

27. Sitting in my hotel in Grants, NM and it's raining outside. Still on my way home.

I had no idea how much more power I would have been making with this new cam, it really surprised me! I have a whole new issue to sort out now, traction has always been an issue but now it's more than that. I will get it and squeeze a few 11's out of my farm truck sooner or later. At least I didn't have to look at Flamedabone's rear this time!

The drags were out of control. Had a real good time but the latemodel stuff, bizzare side hack dragsters and pro-street cars kinda killed the atmosphere that we had. Saw plenty of power parking drag racers that never even fired their cars much less take a pass, had huge spreads in the pits showing off all their racing gear, I appreciate the enthusiasm but it spread us out too much. I know it's going to be tough to tell those guys they can't come but by switching to pre-registered only it will take a ton of stress off you and your crew.

BTW, if you need, you can recruit some of us to help out. There are plenty that would be willing to do so ;)

28. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

thanks ryan!!!!!

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Definitely one of the next shows I need to attend....or maybe not since by the time I get there it'll be a international event!!! Looks like and awesome time!!!