Register now to get rid of these ads!

"That's a cute dune buggy"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Jan 18, 2006.

1. willys_truck

willys_truck

I drove my 38 willys pickup to a show last year, when you get to the show you have to drive right by the Dj and announcer to get to a parking spot. The announcer is in the club that puts on the show. Well as I slowly drove by the announcer, I heard on the loudspeaker, you don't see many of those studebaker pickups anymore! i just laughed

2. wayne-o

wayne-o

I too had my T-Bucket called a Dune Buggy many times, this was in the early 70's. Really pissed me off after all the work I had done on it.
    I got back though, it had a 283 with a '59 Rochester Fuel Iinjection unit on it. You cannot believe how many people asked what type of carbureator it was. Told them it was the hottest new thing on the market, a Side Draft One Barrell!!!!

3. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

CG, you may want to take another look at the tail lights on the dune buggy. 65-66 mustang maybe?

4. improbcat

improbcat

I get surprisingly few dumb comments from random ppl on the Comet. I think mostly because nobody has a guess what it is.

What gets me are the car guys who tell me how I should build it. I stopped into a mustang shop for some trim bits[1] and some random guy there looks out and tells me:
    'Nice Comet, what's it got in it?'
    me: 'stock 170 & two speed auto.'
    him: 'Stop being a wuss and put a mustang frontend kit on it, 5.0 engine and a 5 speed.'

I just turned my back on him because he was clearly friends with the comet/falcon/early mustang guru there and I didn't want to piss him off. If it'd happened anywhere else I'd have told him to either write me a check for the $5,000 that would cost and I'd think about it, or shut his mouth.

On the flipside I was amazed when my uncle (who had never showed any knowledge of cars before in his life) IDed the make/model/year of my Comet at a glance dispite it having a different year grille on it. Turns out his first car was a 2-dr '62 Comet. That made my day.

[1] surprising amount of small parts cross between the Comets & early mustangs

5. Inline666

Inline666

My favorite is some guy at my work"You're not gonna drive that to work are you?" or "Desoto, is that one of them Japanese cars?":confused:

6. Merc63

Merc63

At least he was close, as the Tempest and Corvair shared their platform in those early years...

Love this thread. Of course, most of the people that make comments like that don't even know much about newer cars, either. And a lot of regulars here would have the same problems identifying a lot of newer or imported cars if customized. It all depends on your level of interest. And then there are the people that don't know much about their OWN cars.

Too many stories from days behind the parts counter...

Lady: "I need and air cleaner"
    me: "what kind of car?"
    lady: "A blue one."
    me: "we only have them for red and black right now..."

Man: "I need spark plugs and wires for a '79 Fairmont."
    me; "6 cyl or 8 cyl?"
    man: "how should I know? you're the parts guy! Isn't it in your book?"

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

LMAO!

8. Merc63

Merc63

Another one that had to do with someone else's car and them being BS artists...

I was parked at a show next to a 289 FIA Cobra replica, nicely done, except it had teh AC badges on it, not the Cobra ones. An older guy and his daughter were showing it. As I was cleaning off my car I said, "nice Cobra replica. Really well done." the daughter said "it's not a replica, it's a real one."

Curious, I was like, "oh really?"

The dad said, "yup. it's an original '59 AC Cobra, before Shelby put his name on them."

I said, "AC didn't make Cobras in '59, they just made the Ace with the AC and Bristol inline 6s"

He popped the hood and showed me the 289 and AC build tag. "See, it's real."

Normally, I won't say much except nod and let it go, but his whole tone and body language needed a smartass response...

Me: "well, the flares and the engine were put in later."

Him: "no they weren't. Those are original."

Me: "the AC cars didn't HAVE fender flares, and neither did the first Cobras in '62, they just had a little lip around the openings. The flares were added for the FIA cars to go racing in '64. The flares were part of the aluminum body, not fiberglass. AC couldn't have put the 289 in the cars in '59 because the Ford smallblock didn't even EXIST until late in '61, and then it was only in 221 cid form. Shelby's first Cobras used the 260, and only got the 289 late in '63 when Ford started making them in that size. Your car is a nice replica, and it might have an AC build tag. But it's physically impossible for it to be a 'real' 289 AC Cobra from 1959!"

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Good for you, Merc! I hate guys like that.

-Dave

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I'm at a car show last weekend, standing there looking at a 66 Fairlane, when this guy turns around and starts telling me that SBF are the only way to go. He said he used to have one and could blow away any big block.:confused: When I realized what I had, my only response was "Oh yeah?" "Yeah" he says, shorter stroke makes them alot faster than the big blocks that's why all the racers use them, he says. :confused: "Oh yeah?" I don't know what it is, but every show I go to I run into some "expert", that's going to straighten me out and tell me how it is/was. Most are drinking and you can't tell them shit so why even try. That's where the smart ass factor kicks in.:) :D Can't wait for the next one.:eek:

11. I can't believe I just read 280-some-odd threads...hilarious!

Maybe it's a Nor-cal thing, but my friends with trucks ('34 International, "60 Chevy) always get "You should put dubs on that." Oh yeah, primer, dummys, wide-whites, and skirts just scream 20 inch blingers!

At a show mostly with tri-fives and Time-out Kids (or whatever those things are called), an older lady came up to my car with her husband and loudly exclaimed, "Oh my god, I think it's just primer!"

Parts stores are the worst...Me: "I need motor mounts for a '70 350, try Impala or something similar."
    Clerk: "Well, what kind of car do you have?"
    Me: Thinking he's interested in what I'm building "'51 Chevy Sport Coupe."
    Clerk: "My book says that car didn't come with a V8. Sorry."

Happened more times that I can count...so now I drive a '70 Impala, a Mustang II, '78 Camaro, and a bunch of other donor cars:D

Everyone will tell you how to build your car...ask 'em what they have and it's rarely anything worth mentioning. They never seem to have the cash for their suggestions when I ask...

"It'll be nice when you finish it,"...fuckers.

I did have a guy say nice '51 one time...not bad considering I have a '52 grill, shaved emblems and trim, and he couldn't see the interior.

Bryan

12. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

"Parts stores are the worst...Me: "I need motor mounts for a '70 350, try Impala or something similar."
    Clerk: "Well, what kind of car do you have?"
    Me: Thinking he's interested in what I'm building "'51 Chevy Sport Coupe."
    Clerk: "My book says that car didn't come with a V8. Sorry."

Happened more times that I can count...so now I drive a '70 Impala, a Mustang II, '78 Camaro, and a bunch of other donor cars"

yeah - my 60 Bel Air is a 60 Impala, a 70 Impala and an 86 Monte Carlo amongst other things.

13. improbcat

improbcat

I had a Pep Boys cleark argue with me that my car didn't exist because the only manufacturer listed for 1962 in his computer was Volkswagen. When I insieted I had a Comet fro that year and it was made by mercury he started checking other years while telling me I must be wrong or lying. Haven't bought a thing from them since, and haven't missed it one bit.

Even so my '62 Comet has been a '71 Maverick, '76 Maverick, '65 Mustang, etc...

14. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Had some dimwit ask me if I was the original owner of my 1969 Dodge Charger. I was born in 1976.

15. Now THAT is funny

16. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I had the same problem when I wanted to convert my Chevelle to an internally regulated alternator. I said I need a GM 12 si alternator. "What year, make & model?" Uh oh. Here we go. The parts guy didn't show a GM 12 si alternator for a 1971 Chevelle with a 396 Big Block. Hmm, gee, ya think? It wasn't worth explaining. "Just pretend I need an alternator for an '85 Caprice with a 350!" is what I wound up telling him...it worked out fine.

I had to get over the "what car is it?" question. It's hard. I fessed up to that fact- that I need to ask for parts for a 1988 Lincoln Town Car chassis, but I always smirk when they ask. I can't help it. They have NO IDEA (and they don't care) of what I've done. Geeze, to say it that way you'd think I murdered someone...

The Ford parts guy at the local Dealership was cool, he asked what year (I needed the little plastic bushing that holds up the trans shift lever to the column), I gave my usual smirk and right away he said "Uh, oh..." and I said, Well...it's a '51 Merc body on an '88 Lincoln chassis...he sprang into action, no shit...was kinda cool. Got the part. No problems.

17. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

heres a flip side to those guys. When I was looking for my firstcar at 16 there was a small used car lot run by an old man atleast 60 (HaHa)im52 now anyway its a small deal next to his gas station /repair shop about a dozen cars anyway tucked in behind the building in a back corner is a true ac cobra with a big block in it now I knew what a Cobra was but can't quote info like you can,anyway the guy comes out and starts telling my dad and me how some punk kid put a v8 in this little car and ruined it!I had 500 to spend and he wanted 800 because as a hotrod it should be worth that he was a very good mechanic everyone liked his work but all cars were sold cash only with 90 day guaranty no deposits etc.Before i could raise the extra 300 he sold it.as good as this guy was he had no clue what he had to him it was a foreign car some kid ruined!spent my money on 427 4 speed 63-1/2 galixy instead

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first Cobra complete with 260 was built in Dean Moons workshop. Carrol Shelby was at that time running a Goodyear dealership and they wouldnt let him build cars in the shop there.
    Dean and Carrol were said to enjoy the occasional 'test' drive in the neighborhood, hitting 100mph up and down Bloomfield Av near the shop!
    Doc.

19. Keith English

Keith English

Ok try this one on for size. Me and Ingus are at the local parts store yesterday in our cars, mine has no hood at the moment, so we get out and are standing around when one of the guys that work there comes out with one of his buddies and is saying how you hardly ever see one of these let alone two at the same time. So we are thinking maybe he kinda gets it. Then out of no where he leans over my car and looks at the engine, keep in mind I still run a 235. And says " cool it even still has the flathead 6" thats when we had to walk away, Ingus is still laughing at him.

20. repoman

repoman

I make a game out of it. The parts store guys think I'm some kind of rich eccentric wierdo.

I have a 69 Trans Am, a 70 Judge, a 71 Trans Am, a 76 Grand Prix, a 66 Corvette, a 71 Hemi Cuda, a 78 Bronco, a 66 Cobra, a 69 F-250, 65 GMC, 55 Pontiac, 60 Catalina, 64 GTO, 79 Lincoln, 63 Grand Prix, 72 Grandville, and several Ferrari's.

Whenever I pick up a couple cases of oil, I get a filter for one or two of my "GTO's", then ask for a filter for my 59 Ferrari. When they tell me it has to be ordered, I reply "I better just call Enzo, nevermind."

Try it, you'll get better service, and it's the only way to get a ticket to walk around the back like the good old days.

21. repoman

repoman

Hey, I'm in the wrong thread. This is the "Dune buggy" thread, not the "parts store dumb shit" thread. Who digressed?

Tonight I had a good one. This is close to the topic...

What about the jealous shithead losers who dis' your ride? Should I start a new rant?

Tonight I pull up to my favorite watering hole around midnight. I have a tradition of starting Monday AM with two Newcastles before a nap, a smoke, and a White Castle, but even I digress...

I park on the street out front, and there are several smokers outside getting some air. It's raining a bit, and the tires spin as I take the corner, and navigate a spot. I have 4.56 gears, the fucking tires spin if I look at the pedal. After parking the truck, some nasty old bitch starts yapping at me. Here's her words:
    (Sarcastic tone)
    "Ooh, you are sooooo cool! That was great! That truck is too cool, and SO ARE YOU! WOW, can you do that again? It was like being in a movie. Wow, you're SO COOL! OOH, you have big muscles too! PLEASE DO THAT AGAIN WOW YOU'RE COOL!"

Did I mention she was the ugliest skank in the bar? She had a jailhouse neck tattoo, and her tits we're over her beltline. Unfortunately, she didn't have a man with her (surprise :rolleyes:) to whom I could express my displeasure.

Anyway, that's my rant. Thanks for listening.

22. I've heard a lot. I've heard "57 chevy" a lot and I even had one guy get the year right when he yelled "1953?" and I say "yeah" to which he replies "still got the original flathead in it?"

But the lady that looked at my 53 chevy bel air and tells us "I used to have a car just like it, it was a 1964 volvo." She just totally won them all.

1964 Volvo
    [​IMG]
    Yep, looks just like my 53 bel air.
    [​IMG]

23. Maybe they had a Volvo 122, it looks almost as a '53 Bel Air... or not.

[​IMG]

At a cruise night couple of weeks ago a guy told me I should get a plexi-glass hood (like the euro/pokémon people have i guess) for my car. It's a A roadster without a hood.. why oh why would I want a plexi-glass hood then?!

24. Closer.. but no.

Now I think you need glasses.

25. octane

octane
    from Virginia

A few years ago my mom came down to visit and I picked her up from the airport in my '66 Galaxie with a mildly worked 390. Getting onto the interstate I floored it in the acceleration lane to get ahead of some approaching traffic. Mom looks at me and says, "Wow, this thing runs pretty good for an old car."

I used to work with a guy who owned a really clean red/red '62 Impala SS with a stock 327. Nice guy, and loves old cars, but he's completely clueless. He's a clean cut sales dude by day, but after five he's a gen-you-ine punk rocker - spiked hair, cuffed jeans, and everything. So he drives the Impala to work one Friday and asks me to look and tell him if it has a two barrel or four barrel on it, because he's leaving to go to SleazeFest for the weekend and last time he went to a show some guy asked him about the car and he didn't know what to say...I told him to stick to his Miata.

26. Squablow

Squablow

Guys with a small penis will say that "size isn't everything" Fat/ugly chicks say that "beauty is only skin deep". Lazy/poor/unemployed people will say that "money can't buy everything - or - the best things in life are free". And in your case, a hagger'd out old broad who just left her AIDS infected, half dead, self-delivered baby on the churchhouse steps so she could go get wasted at the bar will make fun of your truck because she wishes she had the money to go buy some new teeth. Don't let it bother you.

27. repoman

repoman

HEY, that part's true! :D

28. OLLIN

OLLIN

The other day at the supermarket, after woking on the car for over 12 hours and covered in grease, I went to buy something to drink. The woman at the checkstand asked:
    "Do you work on Cars?"
    "Yes" I replied.
    "what kind of car do you have?"
    "Its a 1950 chevy business coupe"
    "oh yeah, my friend has a 1965 mustang..."
    just thought it was funny.

29. derelict

derelict

I drove the coupe to Orchard Supply one day (I was running with the hood off at the time). Some guy with his family in tow comes over to take a look and show his kids how knowlegeable he is. He says to me proudly "runnin' a short block huh?" I didn't have the nerve to tell him the truth in front of his kids so I just nodded yes.
    I'm always being told what a bitchin' roadster my five window is.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Shit, I had a guy stop and talk to me about my '60 Fury which was parked at my shop. We BS'd for a while, then he told me that he had a "collector car" too. (don't hear that terminology very much) So I asked him what it was, he told me he had a '93 Grand Prix. Apparently it was some kind of special edition Richard Petty thing, but come on, a '93 Grand Prix? I was polite to the guy, but geez, that's pushing it.