Register now to get rid of these ads!

That Immensely Popular Website That Begins With an "E"!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stlouisgasser, Jul 16, 2009.

1. chevute

chevute

I get it. What you are saying is that e-bay is a less social way to get parts for your car, as opposed to the early morning yarn with the old guy at the swap meets. I agree, but without e-bay, my build would take almost a lifetime as we have only a couple of swaps a year here, and it's mostly newer parts that are available. Let's face it, the internet has been a very handy tool for us all, and that would have to include e-bay.
    The fee's definately suck though.....

2. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Twenty years ago I used to hear "its worth $XX,000 out in California"
    Now I hear the same thing about Ebay.
    But overall I think Ebay is good simply because it brings more buyers and sellers together.

3. 55chevr

55chevr

I have used the HAMB classifieds, E-Bay, Craigslist ... all have their positives and all have their negatives. The HAMB has produced the best results but you cannot always find what you need available.

4. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

I use craigslist, seems like i'm able to find more things that are close enough to go pick up than i can on ebay. I'm working on a deal for a 327 block and crank right now!

5. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

and remember E bay n Paypal are one n the same just a business making money off the sales just use it and get over it. swap meets are thinning out in so cal because of the price to use places for them. just more greedy business practices garage sales are almost a joke around here only on saturdays and very little old car stuff to boot. still gotta use ebay and craigs list, but craig's list is getting to be a joke because of barret jackass n ebay, every body looking for the high dollar on junk stuff
    2 cents worth maybe
    thanks Ken

6. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i think ebay ruined swap meets!!!i use to go every chance i got just to see what i could find{and at a good price}but now all of the venders look there parts on ebay and want the same money.alot of people pay way too much money for stuff on ebay because they either dont want to go to swapmeets or they cant.its getting harder to find that good deal anymore!!!dont get me wrong i have bought and sold on ebay,but i would rather go to a swapmeet with a bunch of my friends and find the parts i need{or dont need}

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WTF? Its just another avenue to add to the search, you should still be out there just like you always were. Not everyone sells their stuff on egay, especialy the old guys with the truly cool stuff.
    Keep getting out there or your more than half way to being a gold chainer.
    Doc.

8. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Me too. As much as I like the one on one dealings and getting to talk to people and make new friends, Ebay takes a lot of the challenge out of the find. Almost like a Chia pet. Ya sprinkle money on it and watch the parts pile grow, fast instead of waiting for Fall Carlisle or Hershey to eventually roll around....

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

When I first got on eBay back in 1998, I found a half dozen items that I had been looking for since the '70's in the first month. And got a fair deal. I have bought and sold there until about a year ago. The no negative feedback rule for buyers and the everchanging fee structure really turned me off on selling. Still, it is a great venue to find what you're looking for. It can reduce build time when looking for that one part that you need.

I haven't been able to attend a honest to goodness swap meet in a few years due to family and other commitments. Sometimes I do miss wandering bleary eyed through the aisles looking for that holy grail. When things settle down around here, I need to go check one out. I had friends that the only time that I really got to see them was at Tulsa or Chickasha or Springfield.

10. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

hell, I bought my rod project on ebay. had to drive about 300 miles to retrieve it but was a very good deal. But I've picked up many little pieces at swaps. all and all, ebay and the internet in general are just another tool in my toolbox for buiilding my car.

11. swi66

swi66

Even the smallest swap meet can yield a gem. And of course, there are items that you did not even know you needed until you saw them.
    I have walked with friends at swap meets and some of them occasionally watch me and make the old sonar "beep, beep" when they know I am onto something.
    I am one who gets into the zone, so to speak at a swap meet.
    But I have done my share of e-baying as well, and craigs list, magazine ads etc........
    And "networking" helps as well.
    Getting out there with your ride to shows and cruises can even yield a find by people coming up to you and mentioning they have something at home for my car.
    I was given a hube box of Corvair literature by one guy who wanted it gone. Another guy spotted my 66 Coronet 500 and turned out he had an NOS Trunk finish panel at home and sold it to me for a hundred bucks! (2 grand ata swap meet). Another guy spotted me in the 66 Coronet, and I ended up buying his 67 Coronet project car, now completed.
    That's what the hobby is all about!
    Sometimes yeah, sitting at the keyboard with a coffee works, gives you more time later in the garage...........

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I love the swap meets...I like to touch and hold what i want to buy..and the cool thing..No shipping fees, or waiting and waiting and waiting for it to come in the mail...or not:mad:

most of the older guys i have run into that have been hoarding the old stuff dont even care or deal on flea-bay or the "list"..I see um at the swap meets and get their number..they usually have way cooler stuff at home.

my second best place to get cool stuff is right here:)

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Uhhh.. bullshit... you must have one of those popular cars. There are plenty of things that I can't find on those sites. The internet as whole has helped more than it hurts. You're here! Don't look in the classifieds it's to easy.

14. strawberry

strawberry

I agree you have to be careful and call the phoneys on the phony,I sell there from time and don't try to mislead like alot on there do..like now I guess ratrod is the word everything is a ratrod or (nos) or vintage . thats all good but label it for what it is, if its original say so you know. you got it right man..:)

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I sell on ebay and the hamb My new job since im playing mr.mom at home with my twin daughters.I like flipping stuff and buying what i need.So far im doing great.Bought almost everything I need for both builds ,By flipping stuff collected over 20 years and buying a few.

16. white64

white64
    from Maine

I have used ebay to build my car! In two ways! To find stuff I need and get rid of stiff I dont need to help pay for stuff I do need. I go to antique auctions up here and sometimes I come across parts that came out of some old guys barn. Stuff that the guy from Michigan, who bought that Lincoln Zephyr head, I found at auction would never have found if I hadn't bought to fund buying a wiring harness for my coupe.
    Ebay saves time and money and can even make you some of the latter! If I make money with these old parts it goes right back out there buying parts off some other guy who is trying to fund his addiction too. I can't imagine trying to find some of these parts w/o the NET. Aren't too many '38 Plymouths up here in junkyards anymore and swap meets are few and far between.

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Antique parts dealers are awesome at swap meets. I especially love the way they generally treat young people like shit and are more interested in their coffee buddies than selling parts. It makes me want to hang around and get to know them better and find out what's in their barn.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. It makes me want to turn to ebay and see if I can find something even better for cheaper. Which with a little bit of time, I usually can.

I'm building a car here. With the best possible parts I can find. If I gotta buy a magneto off a streetcorner whore, I will if it's NOS and priced right. Because I'm building a car.

I'm wondering if complainers are building a car or hanging out around car parts. They are different things after all.

18. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I do both.
    There are positives for both IMO.
    However, I'm getting older & a day at Pomona wipes me out.

I will say- with all the PayPal haters, they did come through for me. Bought a 32 non HAMB friendly Dan Fink insert new in box on Ebay (not for this car BTW). When I opened the box, it wasn't a Dan Fink, but a knock-off. Took me a week to find out it was bogus (looked good at 1st). It didn't fit any shell I had & when I called Dan Fink- all their inserts are numbered on the flange. Didn't know that before. I disputed it & included an e-mail from Dan Fink & got a full refund.

Craigs list or swap- I would have been shit out of luck.

Some of the wierdest people I've ever met were on Craigs List!

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Stlouisgasser, Welcome to the world of 2009. eBay changed my life for the BETTER, only my marriage and birth of my kids have had a bigger change. You want me so start to list the non automotive crap I've turned into car fund money on eBay? HAMB is the best thing on the web eBay is second.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  20. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I like eBay and Craigslist,makes parts easier to find.I'd rather find the parts and drive my car than spend the time searching for them and getting pissed off staring at my car sitting in the "One of these days" phase

21. henryj429

henryj429

Since the day I started building Hot Rods in the 70's, I've bought and sold cars and parts to fund my hobby. Ebay is just another tool to make that happen. Lately, I've been posting stuff on the Hamb or answering the wanted ads - it's a lot less hassle.

I still love swap meets and I've seen them get their Mojo back in 2009 - maybe because of the the economy. Grand Rapids Mn is next weekend - I can't wait.

Every swap meet has assholes (buyers and sellers) and every internet site has assholes, so life goes on as usual despite the invention of the Internet. And...one way or another - we're a determined bunch - we'll do whatever it takes to make our projects happen

22. This might tick you off even more Ebay Owns PayPal.

23. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

You know whats worse ?

Self Promoting Wannabe Car Guys that paste pictures of there Car all over the internet to show everyone How COOL they are & Brag about what a Bad Ass there Car is & hang some Goofy name on it.... But have not done the work to the car !

I do Swaps & Ebay ..... Prefer the smal Swaps to the Large ones.

I also post Parts For Sale & Wanted in several other place's with some good results, But i must say .... The HAMB yeilds the MOST Flakes that say they want shit & then never return E-Mail or send the $$$.

The HAMB talks More Shit about Ebay, But is the worst on Follow thru ... Why Is That ?

24. You can't beat the swap meet experience, talking to someone about what your looking at and touching and taking it with you when you pay. On e-bay you have to rely on pictures and written description along with written answers to questions, pay shipping and hope you always get the item after sending a check. That said, I can find most everything on e-bay where the swap meet is limited to what the sellers bring so I find I do use e-bay, even with it's faults.

25. I use ebay to buy and sell, also use Craigslist, HAMB etc. . . . and NOBODY is twisting my arm to MAKE me do any of it. I enjoy doing swaps, garage/yard sales, antique malls etc, but somebody out there is likely to complain about them too. Just know the rules before ya play the game. If ya don't like 'em, don't play.

26. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

27. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-------------------------------------------
    Hmmm??? I hear and feel your terrible pain! A suggetion that might
    help - If the thrill of sitting in front of your computer in your underwear
    while searching ebay for rare parts is no longer there for you, perhaps
    take it up a notch. Try losing the underwear and searching completely
    in the nude instead. WARNING! - this only applies to ebay, craigslist,
    partsfinder and other internet sites DO NOT - repeat - DO NOT use
    this parts finding technique while searching at swapmeets, garage and
    yard sales etc!!! :eek: :D

mart
    ===============================================

28. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

seconded :D

29. Pink Speedo, size 3XL works pretty good Never had a problem gettin' close to the fleamarket tables yet ​

[​IMG]

30. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Now some of you have twisted this thing around and perhaps I should've titled this thread simply "Missing The Treasure Hunt" 'cuz that's what I miss more than anything. Going into a dusty garage on a wild goose chase and pulling out a rare car or parts that hasn't seen the light of day in 30 years. Now that's the equivalent of King Tut's tomb for me! I don't hate E-bay and I can honestly say I've actually used it and profitted quite well from it more than the average user. It's a great tool actually and that's exactly how I use it.....as a tool. Now Paypal is a different story. Can you imagine the wealth that is being accumulated every minute of every hour for every transaction? Somebody out there has to be closing in on Bill Gates on the Fortune list! But there's creative ways around that I've discovered too. No.....it has become a part of our daily lives whether people like it or not. I would hate to know, at the end of the each week, how much time I've spent on the 'Bay and at Craigs. After all, it's even helped develop new skills, like sniping in the last three seconds and breaking someone's heart half a continent away on something they've searched for the last 20 years! We've all been there in both places with that story! What did we ever do before?