Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thacker and Shine 192mph at Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4eva4banger, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Anyone see Tony Thacker and Jimmy Shine's car at Bonneville. They ran 192mph and spun at the forth mile to exit at approx 195mph!

2. I saw the car there. It was in the staging area for the long course, but missed the spin.....

3. Sounded like a wild ride - very cool how they drove the car there!

4. Cword

Cword

Thar she goes

Attached Files:

5. Cword

Cword

and another in staging

Attached Files:

6. Pretty cool looking car isnt it? Originally built by Kiwi Steve Davies, it looks great!

Do you or anyone else have anymore pics of the car?

7. Pretty cool car isnt it?

Do you have anymore pics?

8. Cword

Cword

I've got one more from the rear. and a few at home from last year when they ran it as B/STR (it was C/BSTR this year).
    here's the rear shot. these were all taken Tuesday morning 19 Aug. We went through staging a few cars apart.

I've been looking to see if I have a shot of the NZ flat head you mentioned, I've found a couple of Chris Harris' car, but not that one. Got a car #?

Heck, I can answer your banger post here too, I've got a B motor going into a T touring, a slow progress project that'll come to life when I stop spending money on kids and Bonneville (in other words a long time from now.)

Attached Files:

9. The T sounds neat!

The Harris Family roadster is a neat car and they are really great people!

I will try and find a pic of the 34

10. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Major props for the fact that it really is a street driven roadster... Don't know either of those dudes, so I don't know who was driving at the time, but that car was in front of me waiting for a break in traffic to get onto El Mirage Rd. to go back home! Sometime last season...

-J

11. When I flew over and rented a car for the California Hot Rod Reunion I recall seeing Thacker driving the car home to Pomona on the freeway. It was pretty cool. The car cuts a neat profile

12. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Wow a spin out at 195!!!!!!!!!!! I woulda left a pile in my shorts!

Mike

13. I wouldn't bet the farm on them having driven the car to B-Ville this year...................

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Here's a couple that I took while it was getting towed back. While I was taking this shot, this dude from the pit crew kept looking at me and finally walks over. (I'm thinking I have a boooger on my nose or something [​IMG] )He asks if I'm English. [​IMG] I say "no, what makes you ask THAT?" He points to my t-shirt. I had on my Watford Rods T-shirt, which is a English car club. The t-shirt was a gift when club members visited last year. We chatting about the mutual friends we had in common. It really is a SMALL hot rod world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. I talked with Shine in the staging area a bit before he made a pass, a slower one at around 180's I think. He said they changed quite a few things to drive it out. Can't remember all of them, but I know they had different exhaust than the zoomies (a set like T-buckets have is what he decribed them as), took off the blower, added the windshield, etc. Still very cool that they drove it out. Even if it was not in exact race form. With the tall gearing it has, he said it was barely turning the engine at 80 mph.

The car looks sharp and wish i could have seen more details of it.

16. I really like this car and not just because it runs our Pro ACtion heads but because it showcases a true hot rod and the fun you can have.

17. Southfork

Southfork

I also talked to Shine Sunday (second day of racing) in the staging area and asked about why the car had pulled out in the first quarter mile or so on Saturday. Shine told me they had blown the tranny apart. He was hopeful the replacement would hold together. Guess it did. Yep, that's a cool car!

18. It runs a Turbo 350 which was supposed to have high performance race gear in it but it turned out that it had only stock components so they rebuilt two trans into one useable one. They are currently building a tricked up trans for it.

19. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I usually hang out with those guys at El Mirage. Here is kind of a cool picture when I towed their roadster last year. people loved having an old tow car.. They would cheer as we drove by. this is the only picture I have towing it

Attached Files:

20. What a classic pic!

21. LIMEY

LIMEY

Great pics.....damn i gotta get back there sometime [​IMG]

Watford rods T shirt on the salt....i bet that was Tony Thacker asking!

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I don't remember what his name was. Andrew maybe? Good-looking blonde dude. Is a member of the "Outlaws", a local club near the Watford Rods.

Savage, Nice shot, without those two trucks in there it could be 1960 easily.

23. Denise are you saying that Tony doesnt do it for you?

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I don't know what Tony looks like? The odds are though that he does [​IMG] He's into hot rods? That "does it for me" [​IMG]

25. I like your style.

What rods have you got?

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks [​IMG]

I own, maintain and cruz a 47 Olds "Roadster" affectionately known as Big Olds.

[​IMG]

Not that you'd know everyone in NZ but since we're on the subject of B'ville and such, I met this girl in Wendover at our motel that was with a race team from NZ (can't remember which island she said she was from). She was actually the caregiver for the owner of the car, who's son is the driver. The owner had broken his neck while racing on the salt a few years ago but is still involved (money man [​IMG] )

Very nice gal, we spent a couple of hours chatting while doing our laundry at the motel. You never know when your going to run into someone cool. Anyway, does the race team she's involved with sound fimiliar?

27. I like the Olds

The lady that you are talking about I dont know personally but the team you are talking of is the Harris Family Team. They run a C/Gas roadster that ran 230 but they couldnt back it up to run the record. Lincoln Harris is the driver and a really neat guy, his father Chris is also a very nice guy and he flipped his T roadster at B'Ville in 1988. Neat guys - neat family - neat team and a bitchin car. They come from Napier on the East Coast of the North Island. Chris is very well respected for his courage, determination and drive - he is a real inspiration and an integral part of NZ hot rod history. Yes, he may have money but he also has alot more going for him despite his restrictions to a wheel chair

28. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks [​IMG]
    I own, maintain and cruz a 47 Olds "Roadster" affectionately known as Big Olds.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and "cruz" she does! Here is Denise & "Beatnick" at York, PA after driving all night WITHOUT a top to get there.
    [​IMG]
    Note the big smile!! [​IMG]

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yes! Thats the family. She spoke VERY highly of Chris and the whole family. She was enjoying her time in the States despite it being a work/vacation for her. Her and Chris were staying at the Motel 6, where we were, and the rest of the family/team were in a camper van at the KOA campground. Sure wish I would have met her early in the weekend. She was a pleasure to chat with. Wish I would have meet the whole family too for that matter. I would have love to hear about the NZ hot rod world from someone who lived it. I know I would have thoughly enjoyed the visit. She said they'd be back in 2005 and I told her I would be too.

It's funny who you meet while doing the simplest of chores.

So, fill me in on what you drive.