Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Th350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WP38, Oct 5, 2017.

1. WP38

WP38

I have no gears available when I shifted it from newtral to 3rd 2nd and 1 gear . Only makes a wooring noise from torque converter.

2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Be sure to replace the converter if you rebuild yours and flush out the cooler and lines because that's where all the fine trash winds up.

saltflats likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like something is good and broken.

New converter, for sure.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is your "S" spring in place?

upload_2017-10-8_11-21-43.png

5. squirrel

squirrel

There are several possibilities of what's wrong.

With a broken detent spring, the manual valve (the thing that that S clip connects to) will never be in exactly the right position, so it will not direct fluid pressure where it is supposed to, and pressure will bleed off. It's possible the clutches got burned up as a result.

But if you really want to know for sure, you could take it all apart and see how it looks. I get a lot of enjoyment out of taking things apart, but many folks don't, for some odd reason.

Old wolf, saltflats and Baumi like this.
  6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

There IS a direct replacement for a TH-350 ------a reman TH-350 at Jeg's or Summit for about $1000.

7. WP38

WP38

Is it possible to fix it without taking the transmission out? I assume not so out she comes,

8. squirrel

squirrel

you're sure the fluid level is where it is supposed to be?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And, are you checking that fluid level using the proper method?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  10. Seems to me you have two choices here.
    Either replace the detent spring, FILL it with fluid, and try it, or take out and pull it apart.
    Your choice.

11. WP38

WP38

checked level when hot running just to the top off the xx, I could replace the spring and try. I don't want to waste all the new transmission flued if it doesn't work,
    Winter is coming so I may as well pull it, I noticed some crud on the top side og filter as well

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was the rear engine running, or off?

13. Art Carr is a good source for 200-R4 parts. He sells a kit and a converter that eliminates the electric lockup. I have a couple of 200-R4 transmissions put back. Someday I will build one to replace the 350 in my roadster.

http://www.cpttransmission.com/

Old wolf likes this.
  14. My opinion it does no good to change a clogged filter. there is only one thing that clogs up a auto trans filter. and that's the linings from the clutches. So if the pan is full of crud pull the transmission and put a kit in it. My preferred fix most times is to convert to a stick shift.

15. That's what I do . I dissemble old transmissions and keep good used stuff like clutch assemblys, sun gears, sprag clutches ect. If you understand how a automatic transmission works or for that matter how anything works you can repair it. I always replace the front pump gears when I fix a automatic trans. Without good fluid pressure they will not hold up very long. I used to go to the car auction and buy cars with bad auto trans cheap. Fix the trans and resell the car the next month. I could net a reasonable profit and not have to guarantee the transmission. The insurance on a dealers license got too costly after the state passed a mandatory insurance law.

16. You can save the fluid, if it isn't burnt or if the trans internals are not splintered it's good fluid.
    Happens every day in a transmission shop.

Having the fluid out to inspect things further is not a waste.

Next question is this filter you speak of?? Where is it ?

17. There is a filter or screen inside the trans pan. its on the valve body on a turbo 350. Trans fluid unlike engine oil doesn't become contaminated by excaped combustion chamber gases ect. There is only one way it gets dirty and that's from the soft parts inside the trans. Ive seen overheated fluid become thin and changing it helps.

18. save the fluid? good grief if you cant afford to toss $30 worth of fluid you need to quit.

19. WP38

WP38

I must be getting riped off 8 dollars a litre . Any way pulled transmission.
    Ill have someone look at it.

20. I buy auto trans fluid for $12 a gallon at Wal Mart.

21. Is there an external in line filter on this set up?
    Because how did you see a filter if the pan isn't off???

23. WP38

WP38

I took the pan off