Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Year of Manufacter Plates Law

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bassfire, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Just a little information before you pay big bucks for a Texas YOM plate to use on your ride. Just be sure you get a normal passenger car or truck plate.
    I went to the regional Texas titles and registration office in Waco yesterday to get my 55 Texas license plate okayed for use on the 55 Buick I am building, and was told I could not use the one I have because it is a dealer plate. I explained that I have seen them on older car quite frequently. The manager of the office showed me a leter from the State of Texas and explained to me that in January of this year the law had changed. I can't use my 1958 farm truck tags either because of this.

2. 30roadster

30roadster

Great....Brithday present to my Dad for the 51 merc is worthless....

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Something I have learned is that each DMV office operates a little differently. If you take it to another office, they may not be aware of the change and let you register it. I've also heard that some DMVs won't allow you to refinish license plates, but never had a problem getting cars registered with them at the one I go to in Arlington. Good luck.

4. Big Earl

Big Earl

I called my local DMV, and they said I could use my YOM farm truck plates for my 50 if I registered it as a farm truck. Another way would be to get specialized plates with the number on your YOM plates...don't know if it is technically legal, but you would have the same plate number!:D

Earl

5. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

My dad just got Grandpa's '67 F250 registered with '67 Texas "Farm Truck" plates. They actually have a ranch/farm though and use the truck for Ag use eventhough it's restored... I'm not sure if that makes a difference. This was in Georgetown, in Williamson County just North of Austin.

6. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i say try another dmv office.some of the "workers" know more than is good for the hobby.:rolleyes:

-danny

7. KATFISH

KATFISH

Yes, this is correct , no more dealer YOM plates allowed in Texas.
    Turns out there could be multiple's of the same number issued then.
    At least thats the story.

The part about repainted-restored plates is not true,if the colers are exactly
    as they were,they are allowed.

www.vintageplaterestoration.com

8. No need to go to Arlington. They already know. Mansfield and Arlington Tax office knows this also. I was told they will deal with those of us that have dealer plates when they come due for renewal. That will be in March 2013.

9. TexasDart

TexasDart

Well there goes that old plate market. Guess you'll be able to get them cheaper now..

10. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

a little confused.

car-good
    truck-good
    dealer-no good (specifically says dealer on the plate?)
    farm truck-no good (unless operating a farm)

11. MissPrint

MissPrint

Dealer plates do say "Dealer" on them. . .like so:

Attached Files:

12. TexasDart

TexasDart

ohh....so just the dealer plates are not good. The regular plates can still be registered...well that makes more sense.

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Yes as a dealer is assigned ONE number and may have had several plates with the same number....

14. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

There are only two places in my county and only one of them will issue the tags for antique plates. That is why I went to Waco first to bypass any problems in my county because everything registered here goes through Waco and then to Austin. There is a chance I could get it done in my county and maybe it would slip through the Waco office....and maybe the main office in Austin too. But I kinda doubt it. He did say if you already were using the dealer plate he thinks you would be granfathered in and could keep using it. Since I am a farmer I might be able to use the farm truck tags. Gonna try anyway.

I think the high priced swap meet tags might get cheaper because of this and will only be good for wallhangers.

15. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Why would prices go down on regular yom plates???????

16. Rusty

Rusty

Lets see some pics of that sweet 55 you are refering too

I have head the rumors and would love to see

Rusty

17. BELLM

BELLM

So does this mean momma Bass is gonna be driving this fine ride soon? Gonna be ready for the Caldwell Kolache Festival show in September?

18. ragtop35

ragtop35

I understood that the reason people liked the Dealer plates is because it only required one plate rather than both front and rear thats required with regular plates. Also, recently my son went to register YOM plates and was told that he "had" to refinish them before he could register them. They were in pretty good shape but not perfect and were the correct color.
    Looking for a 1959 Texas Travel Trailer Plate, anyone have one?

19. one37tudor

one37tudor

The rules on refinishing plates is that they have to remain the correct color for the year and if the plate was originally reflective it will have to be reflective after restoration. I think the reflective plates started about 68 or 69 but could be wrong about that.

Scott...

20. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Here's a picture for you. More later and maybe even see it at Caldwell if we get it on the road in time. Had it so low had to raise it because I couldn't get it down the driveway........Not too much higher tho.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  21. cracker head

cracker head

SWEET! Jerry you and Momma Bass do good work!!

22. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Thanks for the compliment! I taught Jerry good:D I think I'm really going to like cruizin in my big ol Buick! (momma Bass)

23. cracker head

cracker head

hahahaha well you're gonna look good doin it!

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

WOW!!

Nosed, decked, shaved, door handles, and '56 Chrysler tail lights. Anything else?

Love it..

25. 36tbird

36tbird

Uh, what about just blacking out the "DEALER" stamp?

26. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Thanks......54 Merc frenched head lites, 455 Buick, turbo 400, later model Skylark rear end, Nova clip with disc brakes, AC, power windows,power brakes mounted under floor, alum. radiator from big block Camaro,55 Chev electric wipers, and various parts from every car I have in the pasture. It has been a 2 year project.......finished?????are they ever finished. Chrysler gold pearl and PPG black, and some Bass pinstriping in the near future.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  27. Rusty

Rusty

WOW!!!!! That is Awesome Jerry!