Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas License Plates....One or Two????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skotz, Nov 22, 2006.

1. I was under the impression that since Sept of this year that only one (rear ) license plate was mandatory in Texas:D . Does anybody have any info in regards to this change(that is, if it did actually change). A Sheriff buddy of mine pulled up his info dated 1995 and it says 2 Plates:( .......I sure thought that had changed?????
    Thanks for any assistance in this....and No, I haven't gotten a ticket....YET
    Skot

2. Primer Gray

Primer Gray

Two, I believe...or as the Troopers told me "They gave you two, that means you have to display two."

3. I know first hand it used to be that you need two, and I seriously doubt they have made the laws any looser. Especially with red light cameras, HOV lane cameras, etc.

4. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I'd be suprised it that was the case. Especially since last year there was such a big stink about dealer plastic covers covering the "TEXAS" on the top of plates.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to YOM plates to get them registered. I have a pair, but I've always run just the back.

5. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

You have to run two plates. If you have a dealer tag you only have to run one.

6. You can't cover ANY of the plate.

7. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

All of the numbers and letters have to be visible and legible is all.

8. I must have been mis-informed.

9. 55kustomline

55kustomline

ive heard the same thing.....even where it says TEXAS at the top or the texas flag

10. Lugnutz

Lugnutz

I think the laws about plates are strictly enforced in some places in the state (the ONLY state... Texas) , but I knew a kid a few years back who never had a front plate on his car and drove it that way for years and never ever got stopped by the cops.

11. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

The law states that if you are issued 2 plates you have to display 2 plates.

12. Terry

Terry

I heard they dropped the 2 plate law. But I don't know for sure.... I know if I had a new vette I wouldn't drill holes for a plate? Or is that just a cover?

I have ran only one plate for years, only been stopped once. I said to the cop that it must have been stolen and he let me go.

13. I have been stopped several times, my brother, too.

14. Dang it...found out the official scoop, along with all the help above......and it is a 200 dollar fine....Well at least I know how much it will cost.....as long as they don't find anything ELSE wrong...on my car?.....HAHAHAHA
    § 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR
    REGISTRATION INSIGNIA
    (a) A person commits an offense if the
    person operates on a public highway during a registration period a
    passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
    license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have
    been:
    (1) assigned by the department for the period; or
    (2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the
    department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the
    period.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
    punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

15. ig'nant

ig'nant

Yes, it is the law to run 2 plates.

No, I haven't had a plate on the front of my daily driver in YEARS, nor have I ever gotten stopped, or gotten a ticket for only having one plate.

16. I had a cop stop me just to let me know one was required. The car was freshley painted, and he missed the palte on the dash. He said that was O.K. Unfortunately, my Driver's License was also freshly suspended. I guess you know what happened next.

17. If you have antique plates, you only need one. Good for 5 years and no inspection needed.

18. roadsterbob

roadsterbob

I got antique plates and they only gave me 1 plate...
    Not to steal the thread but has anyone been hassled for runniing antique plates? Cheap & no inspection. Supposedly only for show and parades..

19. Dirty2

Dirty2

I had my personalized plates in 84, louvered and got pulled over. They said that I mutelated a state isued item. I still just run 1 plate.

20. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

If you are registered as Antique or Classic (with or without YOM plates), you only have to run the rear plate.

Straight from the statues

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm#Chapter 4
    TRC §502.275.
    Subsection L
    "(l) Notwithstanding any other section of this code, a vehicle issued plates under Subsection (a) shall be required to display only one license plate, which is to be attached to the rear of the vehicle."

What sucks is you still have to have both plates to get approved to run YOM. But you only have to run one.

Why ask for trouble though? You know you're going to run into that one young dumb, I know it all cop. Thats going to pull you over for no front plate saying you are breaking the law even though you aren't. Then you have to take a day off work to fight it.

21. rattom

rattom

Man
    I always figured there were so many violations on my hot rods that the LP issue was the least of my probs.

Lake headers, no wipers, no turn signals, no side mirrors etc

Not to mention someone maybe my wife keeps switching the plates around.

22. Dirty2

Dirty2

The blue dot or 1 taillight always gets me pulled over or thats what they say.

23. Well....thanks a bunch for this update.....making a copy of it to put in both 32's.....so it was a "fix" for 2 out of 3 cars that I a running a single plate on.
    I really like this board!!!!!:D
    Happy Thanksgiving...
    Skot

24. Hey Skot,

They don't have any noise laws down there do they?:D

Dennis