Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Takes a while to figuire them all out , Really tough findung the correct parts at a market as master and standard parts look the same without a measuring tape , most times the parts are master parts as standard parts are fewer .

2. A few more things that are different on 33 and 34 master and standard are the windshields and garnish are an inch narrower on a standard car
    The headlight bars are a 1/2 shorter on a standard car .

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks for the info. Will be using the sedan apron on my coupe. The other one is rusted so thin, I could shave with it......After getting a tetanus shot. LOL.

wood remover and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. I am betting no one will ever tell you it is meant for a sedan LOL

Bowtie Coupe and Torkwrench like this.
  5. madmike3434

madmike3434

for those that do have 34-35 standards ...........1934 Chevrolet master dash panels with gauges too the left and pass side glove box, the dash bolts right into 34-35 standards, its also 41 " wide. Not sure about 33 standards.

I have a 34 master dash with factory center cigar lighter in my 35 std 3 window coupe. I purchased another for my roadster and found the stock roadster dash is 2" wider than closed Fisher body cars. So added 15/16" per side , found a cigar lighter on ebay to complete it.

last week I bought another 34 master dash on ebay , going to put it eventually in the phaeton. That lockable glove box really comes in handy at 12" deep as no place to put anything.. But, if you have air con unit, that glove box gets reduced to about 4" deep

that neat dash panel gauge insert pictured is out of a 33 Chevrolet master.. Will hold a 3" tack, speedo and clock. Its factory photo etched brass and has to be trimmed down size wise to fit the 34 master dash. Need to try it on a 34-35 standard dash.

just offers you more options for our 33--35 Chevrolets

mike lynch

mike lynch dash panel  3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. Have you seen one of these before Mike ?
    Factory glovebox door with clock .
    Gotta be rare , only one I have seen or owned
    Seen them in dealer sale brochures . 20180409_171621.jpg

Okie Pete and TFoch like this.
  7. madmike3434

madmike3434

yes I have seen that before...........when I visited your home to purchase the 33 or 34 chev trunk lid for my roadster.

That glove box lock with 2 sets of keys, just bought one NOS for $175.00

I have in my picture files somewhere that same 34 master glove box lid, but without a clock in it, just the hole. Was for sale on ebay in last 3 months. I keep fighting with myself about using the lid and putting gauges : volts , water temp , oil pressure , gas tank gauge. Mounted into it. I got a couple of them maybe might sacrifice one to the hot rod Gods. Lots of decisions to make as we move forward on the build.

Just found it, sold for $102.50 feb 25 34 master clock ready.jpg as pictured with correct wood grained finish......

Look out NY state, coming to Brockport NY Wednesday to load up S10 truck with ebay purchased STUFF.

mike lynch

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. i took a photo of the 33 master fender. notice the bolt hole into the side, compared to the standard which has the bolt straight down. DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0003-1.JPG

9. Mike, i measured my 33 standard dash 39" wide

Bowtie Coupe and wood remover like this.
  10. Nice original glove box door , you can see the 3 notches that allow the screws holding the face of the clock pass thru . I am surprised you didn't bid on it. I dont think a lot of people know they exist and figuire it is just a hole somebody drilled for a clock !!!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. madmike3434

madmike3434

I was the first bidder on it and not sure what happened. End result was the second bidder never got outbid by anybody and ended around $102.50 final price. Luckily I have 2 as spares and will us one with the dash I just bought.

I had a feeling the 1933 standard CC series was narrower across the inside dash panel, at 39" that's 2" narrower than 34-35 std or 33 master or 34 master.
    In Australia they made a 1933 Chevrolet standard series roadster, but not north America. Was a HOLDEN body car. As pictured here. mike lynch DSCF3131.JPG

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Exactly. Plus they'll probably be too busy telling me that it's a 32 Ford.....LOL.

Concerning 34 glove box doors......If the locking knob is missing, one from a mid 60's IH Scout will bolt right in. It doesn't have a lock, though. It uses a pushbutton instead. That's what I used in my 34. It's just barely visible in the attached photo.

L. Interior 1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  13. They are a pain in the azz to remove the latch if they happen to be locked. I have a couple that are locked witb no keys !!!!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  14. madmike3434

madmike3434

I was hoping that the barrel of the glove box lock would have a number stamped into it, like trunk lid or door handle outside that has it. You take that number to a GM dealer and they use an old code book to make a new key for you using the right size key. I had my door and trunk lid keys made that way couple of years ago .

Unfortunately looking at the key barrel on a flat area , also using a magnifying glass, nothing there I can make out. Will find out tomorrow when I get back from USA if my NOS one has the numbers, it does have 2 keys already. Other than that would require a visit to a locksmith..
    I was poking around in my 1934 chev parts book and my 1929--1935 parts book, could not even find the glove box lock listed.

mike lynch

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, wood remover and Fern 54 like this.
  15. madmike3434

madmike3434

so Wednesday morning as scheduled , fire up the S10 extreme, make sure bed is empty for all the boxes I need to fit in for trip to Rochester NY. Wife is ready, got the Garmin thing, put bottle of fuel injection cleaner into tank and top off.

Hit the 401 hwy, turn up onto the U PAY SUCKER 407 toll road from out here to $28.00 later one way . Nice not having all those trucks cutting in and out and some people who I have no idea how they ever passed the test.

Finally 2 1/2 hours later I hit the Niagara falls area bridge to USA, move up to the border patrol guy station, says where is the something pass/waiver . In with my passport, says I. Nope ain't here jack. Come inside. Here we go everybody inside armed with glocks , vests and who knows what else.

Well Mr Mike your missing your pass and border station commander says.........go home and get it. Wife had it out at home to do a renewal and never got put back where its supposed to be.

So we had a nice day driving around......spent $56 on tolls, wasted 1/2 tank of gas at $1.33 a liter, 4 of those make a usa gallon. So made appointment with friend steve in NY for Friday the 20 for another attempt.

Life in the fast lane EH

mike lynch

biggeorge likes this.
  16. That sucks Mike !!! Couldnt just send the Misses and and have a couple of crown royals waiting for her to return ??

17. madmike3434

madmike3434

Yah I know, but it was her birthday and she officially became a JUNIOR GEEZER in training and she needed mental support for the failure to bring the pass. Yes was nice to her, it was her birthday after all. No cake, no card, no present, Chinese food take out when we got home.
    Life with MIKE

wood remover likes this.
  18. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

30704848_10209839434897385_827150490063077376_n.jpg 30707424_10209839434737381_4173030180874354688_n.jpg 30710150_10209839435337396_1202095070510055424_n.jpg 30728913_10209839434857384_603433172692107264_n.jpg Body back on chassis can finally start getting wood locked in place and adjusted, on a good note mounting holes lining up so far

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Okie Pete, 31chevymike, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  19. madmike3434

madmike3434

I BET THAT FEELS REWARDING, FORWARD PROGRESS ALWAYS DOES . !!!

MIKE LYNCH

31chevymike and jgrohio like this.
  20. @jgrohio awesome work. That's a big step forward. Congrats!

31chevymike and wood remover like this.
  21. Good on you .Did you make your own wood ?
    Or was it a kit ?

31chevymike likes this.
  22. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I bought the pieces I replaced my wood was way too far gone from termite damage to make any kind of pattern off of. I will need to make a couple he didn't have but those are pretty straight forward pieces. A lot of the wood was still solid just the main sills and the one hinge pillar had a major damage.

31chevymike and wood remover like this.
  23. my 33 4 door sedan has a couple of pieces rotted in the corners of the roof .
    rest of wood is excellent in the car , not sure if I will make them or purchase .
    who did you purchase your wood from ? Did they stock it or did you have to wait for them to make it ??

31chevymike likes this.
  24. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I got from both guys Jim Rodman has better pricing. What they had in stock I got quick.

31chevymike likes this.
  25. madmike3434

madmike3434

JOE, advise you try to copy the wood that's missing or damaged, because waiting for any of the wood making people is going to get you involved in 1-3 years of waiting and emailing and screaming. Seen way to many posts elsewhere about these guys to advise you to get involved. RED FLAGS...........take notice.
    Most likely the same piece would be used in 3 window and 5 windows if you have to take a pattern.

mike lynch

26. Wiod in roof is rotted in the corners, but still in good enough condition to use as patterns .Not likely I would ever order the wood anyway .Not sure what I am going to do with this car anyway .Have to many other projects I want to do .

31chevymike likes this.
  27. I still have that 32 phaeton cabriolet on my mind all the time as well . The one that Jack has .God I love that car !!!

31chevymike and TFoch like this.
  28. madmike3434

madmike3434

JOE..........3w coupe, 1/2 ton and whatever else is in line, a 1933 4 door master series is unfortunately not up there in most peoples minds , anymore , as a car to make a street rod out of. Unless you plan on having more children.

People went to those 4 doors in late 70--80's as we had kids. The turn around to coupes , roadsters , pickem-ups again has been the change.

Your wants for the 32 landau phaeton , are as we age, our choices change. Whether you can get it from look without giving up your right arm and a few toes and some nose hairs, is a story for another day. Not sure if I have ever seen one street rodded or more likely resto rodded. Think I will do a search

NOPE not a picture of one rodded. Car is correctly called a " CONVERTABLE LANDAU PHAETON "

mike lynch

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  29. I have the 4 door sedan as the guy pretty much paid me to take it .I sold the parts that werent correct to the car and now have the car and cash too.
    I didnt know the car was in the condition it was in .For the asking price I figuired I could strip it , get a few good parts and junk the rest.
    To my surprise the restoration had been started and is way to good a car to disect.
    As much as I love hot rods , I love an original car just as much .
    My late father was a model T guy and I was brought home in model T and now own that car too.27 touring car .