Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Temperature gauges for a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Jan 9, 2015.

1. image.jpg I want to install after market temp gauges on my flathead in my 38 Tudor.
    The stock one is not hooked up.
    I figured I would install a sending unit in each head.
    I like the look of the Stewart Warner gauges. I looked for used ones but I'm not really sure what I need.
    What are my options without breaking the bank?
    Thanks

2. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

how about using 2 sending units and ONE gauge...a switch to connect one side at a time...most dashes don't have space for 2 water gauges...just a thought.

3. Brentphx

Brentphx

I researched this for my own car- the Westach site shows a dual sweep gauge like this (provided for visual reference)

An email reply from Westach says that they do have a 12v 2" dual water temp gauge- 2DC3-7 100-260F. It's $121 plus the two senders at $35 ea. compared to generic autometer gauges at $60 ea x2 that come with senders.... $70 to have it on one dial... decisions decisions. At least there is an option!

4. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I just ordered another temp gauge when I bought the kit from Omega. My dash is not the original configuration, so I just put one on each side of the speedo. Works great.

Attached Files:

5. Andy

Andy

Image 5.jpg I am running one gauge and two senders. I have a two way switch and toggle between them every so often. I bought the SW stuff from Speedway.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  6. Does it have to be a six volt sending units?
    I'm running 6 v

7. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

The stock gauge can be repaired / replaced. The stock gauge is a thermometer. Buy part number
    91A-10883 and swap out the sheet metal scale for the one in your dash. You don't really need two gauges, if one side gets hot the other side does too.

An after market gauge will not fit in the stock location, you would have to hang it under the dash.

8. frosty-49

frosty-49

I run 2 gauges under my dash,both mechanical. It will let me if something is wrong before it does any damage. Cheap too