Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tell me about this intake!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by suede55bowtie, Feb 22, 2010.

1. I don't even know where to begin searching for info on this thing. BUT I LOVE IT. Can anyone give me details about it or more pictures? What about more pictures of this truck? I can't get it out of my head.

Attached Files:

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i think thats a boat intake

3. I think your right Dynaflash,Looks like a y block marine intake.

4. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Its a marine intake, with the sidedraft carbs it would clear the underside of the cockpit floor. I see them on eBay all the time. Look for 60`s ChrisCraft

5. Heo

Heo

Interceptor boat intake

6. Yep.
    Pretty cool done right.

7. I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks! What about the truck though? That things killer.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I had one of these setups many, many moons ago. The carbs on mine were Carter YF's, I believe the same as were used on '53/'54 Corvette 6's.

Ray

9. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------------
    Interceptor low-profile marine intake, with twin Carter YF 1 bbls, for a Ford Y-block. If you want one of these carb & intake set-ups, please PM me as think I know where one is.

Mart3406.
    =============================

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My dad had a 28' cabin cruiser with twin screw Y block Fords. They both had that intake system. They used them so that the carbs did not stick up through the flat deck. The engines were under a hatch in the deck. With a car intake and carb it would need an engine box sticking above the flat floor.

Boats have no radiators so it needs to be modified for a car application. It's been done more than once.

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Its a Graymarine intake 2 1 barrels

12. Terry O

Terry O

Nope.

This is Paul's '33 built by Jimmy White.

Terry

Attached Files:

13. WOW thanks for the responses! After reading the info on here I started googling and digging up anything I could. One guy apparently ran this intake with the simple addition to SALT WATER in his radiator?!

This place never fails to blow me away. If I had this intake I could run my car with a FULL hood. That would rule..one day!

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    Just so you know, though.....it's not any sort of 'high-performance intake' and probably would make *less* power than a stock 2-bbl. Y-block automotive intake. The two carbs - Carter YF sidedrafts- are only 1-bbls and very small. Also, the purpose of this intake set-up was simply give a very low profile to the engine, in order to fit it under the 'lowest height possible' doghouse in a boat - hence the carbs are set very low in the 'Vee' between the heads and the air-fuel mixture has to flow uphill to reach the ports. If you just want one to look 'different', I guess it'd be ok, but don't expect any improvement at all in performance.

Mart3406
    ====================

15. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Couldn't you build a side draft log?

16. Just a heads up if you do find one to buy, they use a special valley pan that is recessed and the front water outlets are seperate pieces that bolt on. I've seen plenty of the intake manifolds and carbs for sale but very rarely a complete setup.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What color is that on the engine? It's really tasty!

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the boats they run max of about 3500 rpm max,so those 2 little 1 hole carbs worked,but that's about it.
    These type carbs were also used on the 53 /54 6cly chevy vet,but 3 of them as i remember.:cool:

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Those are two different trucks... different stance, grille shell isn't filled, long frame horns and different where the cowl hits the frame... and different headlights.

20. Terry O

Terry O

uh....yeah,... not Paul's truck...that's why I corrected it.

Terry

21. sawzall

sawzall

i have one of those intakes available.

22. alchemy

alchemy

I have a couple of those intakes, but only one set of water necks. As already said, the water necks are separate parts from the intake and are REQUIRED as they have a split bolt hole with the rest of the intake. Can't bolt the intake on solidly without them.

I suppose a guy could spend a day on a mill making his own. But for all you non-millwright guys looking to buy, make sure the seller includes the water necks.

23. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

That truck is owned and built by a young guy here in Ohio. I have seen the truck in preson several times. It is absolutely gorgeous! Pictures can not do it justice. and the intake is just plain cool!

24. mgudge

mgudge
    from Orygun

I'm looking, particularly for the air cleaners. Not sure how you answer pm's, new to this but my email is [email protected] or phone 503-622-3639. I would appreciate your help. Thanks, Mike