Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Technical

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmanolds, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

SBC water in crankcase. Had and intake leak and some water got in crankcase. Ran engine hot and changed oil. Still noticing a little milky sludge on PCV valve and filler cap. Oil on dipstick looks clear. Any recommendations?

2. oldolds

oldolds

Clean them, if the oil looks ok, take the car for a drive. Look at them again. If everything looks ok. Run it some more! If not change the oil and try it again. If it was an intake gasket you should be ok. Just keep an eye on it for a while.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The coolant (water will anyhow) should settle to the bottom after a few hours of sitting so you can see it drain out before the oil starts coming out if you have any quantity of coolant in the crankcase. I'd still call it cheap insurance to drive it ways and get it up to temp and then change oil and filter again as Oldolds suggested.

4. I think the coolant will float on top of the oil.

But warming engine, drain lube, refill, repeat, until all looks OK.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. PPrather, oil is lighter than water. Oil will come to top, water to bottom.

Ben

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Water boils/vapourises at a temp that is usually lower than the oil temperature.
    The water vapour will settle at the highest point in the engine which is under the rocker covers.

Try and hook up a breather bottle like race cars have and eventually it will be all gone.
    I've had sludge eventually separate back to oil [not on my $50k race engines]