Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH...well sorta... JAG IFS into mid fifties F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tall Paul, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Any one ever drilled 5on5?

2. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

Well, to give credit where credit is due...

This posting influenced me into purchasing a 79 Jag XJ6 last spring, but I was finishing another project for my daughter inbetween times (64 MGB). Over the last couple of weeks, I must have read through this thread another 3 times. The posts on the air bag option tipped me toward doing a solid mount as Paul indicated at the beginning. I appreciated his availability via PM to answer some questions, and as this is my first true hot rod project, it could not have been made easier. The IFS is mated with an 89 T-bird SC IRS (Team321 adapters used) and since this post hasnt evoked any flaming (as yet) I will stick my neck out by saying that I am probably going to stick the SC 3.8L V6 into the truck...(anyone know of any forum members who used this engine?)

Here are some before/after pics, even though it is not loaded and the rear is fixed about 1" too high with all thread in lieu of springs. Nice wheel combination, wouldnt you say?

Thanks to all for an excellent post!

John

Attached Files:

3. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Where are your install pics??? You praised the thread for all the contributions made by other members yet you didn't include yours??? Let's see how you did yours and maybe it will help the next guy. Truck sits nice. Did you airbag the front or were you doing it later?

4. HASR

HASR
    from Illinois

Very nice. I am using the Jag/Mark VIII combo in my `57 F100, on bags. Should be a good combo.

5. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

Sorry for lack of details. I was so overcome with the joy of a successful install that I didnt take time to layout a photo session beforehand. Plus it was hard to know what to document, since it seemed like it had all been done by you guys before.

I have tracked my builds at photobucket and will add the IFS and IRS to it in between my day job activities today. I will post a link later today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

7. entity

entity
    from Morris

Hi guys and gals. i'm putting in a xj6 ifs into a 55 f100 panel and seems pretty straight forward, my two questions is. what p/s pump are you using to go with the rack and pinion, also what about engine mounts that will work to bolt in a ford 351w. thank you so much. And even though i've searched and found a lot of info about the swap, whats the "standard" way or best step by step thats out there?

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I used the Saginaw power steering pump off of the Jag, it's a regular GM style pump, just the lower pressure version. As for motor mounts, I think you'll be needing to fab them yourself. Though you may be able to use something like

http://hedman.shptron.com/products/...ium=affiliate&utm_campaign=adwords_pla&os=pla

9. entity

entity
    from Morris

ok. sounds good. those mounts may work. otherwise, fab time. but maybe others will chime in. thank you.

10. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Subscribed! I think this is the route I'm gonna go with my 55' Studebaker truck build. Anybody out there done this conversion on a 54/55 Stude truck? Thanks all for the ingenuity and idea sharing!

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Hey Zman, what motor did the Jag PS pump come off of? I kept the one off the XJ6 I stripped down but was unsure if I can use it on a SBC motor or not. If it turns the right way or whatever. I know it was on the passenger side of the Jag 6 and I would love to do the same on my 327. Just below the valve cover, with the alt on the other side.

12. HASR

HASR
    from Illinois

Since I am running a Ford motor in mine, I am using the stock Ford ps pump.

John

13. rpol7966

rpol7966

The Jag pump is a GM Saginaw pump. You can use any GM pump with your Jag setup. Rebuilt pumps are readily available at any good parts store.
    If you are running a small block Chevy engine you wont have any problem finding the mounting hardware.
    I prefer short waterpump configuration. The easiest place to find one is 67-72 trucks. Also 64-68 Chevelles, 65-68 passenger cars used short pump configuration.
    The short water pump also gives you more fan clearance for your radiator.
    Hope this helps.

14. Weasel

Weasel

^^^Sure helps me - I was about to post that question as I do not know the Jag setup and was concerned about the pressure that the Jag rack is best with. I have had to use reducer valves when using GM pumps with Mustang II/Tbird racks. HASR you may need to look at the pressure mismatch as the Ford may not put out enough pressure for your GM rack. As I recall, Ford rack likes 800 to 900 psi and GM pump puts out 1200 psi. Jag rack may like 1200 psi and feel sluggish with less. I could be wrong but this is what I have experienced in the past....

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  15. entity

entity
    from Morris

well my customer now wants to drop a 429 caddy engine in it. i called a few companies and motor mounts are made for it, but he mentioned if if sits too low, of course the oil pan wont clear etc. I'm gonna call caddy500 when they open, but does anyone know for sure if pans are out there for this conversion.... thank you.

16. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

The issue I have is finding the brackets to position the alternator and PS pump where I want them. I'm running a SJ 327 out of a 63 Vette so it has the Vette valve covers with no breathers. I hunted down and bought a 69' Z28 Camaro intake with the oil spout. I don't want the PS pump where GM always puts it down low on the driver side. I want the mid mounts that position them even with the heads. Easy access but down below the valve covers. I want the valve covers and the intake/oil spout to be focal points of the engine. Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just buy this one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-340500/?rtype=10

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It was off of a 6, and is fine on my Nailhead, I made/modified brackets to mount it.

18. I had a front sump pan with my Caddy 500.
    I cut and reversed the sump and still had to
    notch it where the Jag rack went.
    Anything is possible.

19. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

Subscribed!! Theres so much info in this thread it deserves to be back at the top. Thanks to all that have contributed!!

20. titus

titus

21. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

This thread is the one that gave me the direction I needed on my build. I was all over the place. Couldn't figure out what to do with my front suspension. Found this thread and after measuring my frame.... found an XJ6 for $500 and started going to town! It gave my Harvester some different and cool. can't wait to drive it someday! lol

22. Titus,...did you get your F-1 done yet?..any pics?

23. titus

titus

Theres a link to the build in my replay above, getting there but not yet.

jeff

24. Leeroy58

Leeroy58
    from UK

25. w.Stanley

w.Stanley
    from Canada

How is the best way to change the jag stud pattern to ford 5.5 ?

26. Wardog

Wardog

I'm using a xj6 series 2 front end in a 55 F100. The hubs don't have enough meat to drill 5.5 pattern. We are leaving the front end at 4.75 Chevy pattern and drilling the 9" axles and drums to suit the jag/Chevy pattern. Some people adapt a different hub/disc to change to ford pattern but the jag brakes are awesome and it is definitely easier to change the rear end.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  27. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

I used a spacer/adapter to go to 5/108mm which is the odd ball T-bird size to match my rear. The spacer added 1.25" which also allowed identical wheel offset to the T-bird while getting the reveal I wanted on my wheel choice.

John L.

Attached Files:

28. Orn

Orn

How much toe in should I aim for on a Jag Xj6 front suspension? 2mm? I have search the net but didn’t have any luck so far.

29. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Proper Jaguwahrs do not express their measurements metricly.

1/16" to a maximum of 1/8" would make Sir Lyons happy.

30. Orn

Orn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.