Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH WEEK: HOW TO MAKE '26-'27 ROADSTER BUN PANELS FOR CHEAP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, May 6, 2021.

1. evintho

evintho

I did this a few years back but it'll still work today! Back then, after much searching, I found a pair of decent used bun panels for $500. Way too much money.....I'll make my own!
    My panels were beyond toast! What metal that still existed was paper thin.

PC040026.jpg

PC040025.jpg

First order of business was to determine the contour on the original panel.

PC040027.jpg

Off to Pick-N-Pull to scavenge the appropriate sheet metal. Scored this hood off a '91 Chevy van for $35 on half price day! Turns out all Chevy and GMC van hoods from the late '80's to the mid '90's are the same hood so any of 'em will work!

PC040028.jpg

The contour is a spot on match for the roadster bun panel!

PC040029.jpg

Had to remove the inner structure by cutting about 50 spot welds. A $5 HF spot weld cutter is your friend!

PC040032.jpg

Back to the bun panel to remove the skin. Had to do some slicing with the cutoff wheel and some hammer and chisel work. The skin is spot welded to the support brackets in several places.

PC040035.jpg

Wasn't even gonna mess with the lower section 'cause they were so far gone. Too many compound curves! I ordered a pair of patch panels from Howells ($80). Mocked 'em up to see how close they fit. Not too bad!

PC040036.jpg

Now back to the donor sheetmetal. This concave curve needs to come out of the van hood. I hammered it flat simply by chucking a length of angle iron in the vise and using it as a stationary dolly.

PC040039.jpg

PC040041.jpg

PC040040.jpg

Next I laid the old bun panel skin on the new metal and made a rough outline. Then I cut away any excess metal giving myself an extra inch or so just to be sure.

PC040043.jpg

You'll notice there's not quite enough metal to lay out the entire panel. It's a little short in the upper front section. Simply a matter of welding in a small patch section later in the build.

PC040044.jpg

Mounted the support brackets to the subframe.

PC040045.jpg

Then I mocked up the new bun and extension panels to the support brackets to determine position and tacked them in.

PC040049.jpg

PC040051.jpg

Trimmed to fit and welded the extension to the panel.

PC040053.jpg

PC040054.jpg

I cut the corner section off an old washing machine I had and used it to solve two problems. First I used it to extend the upper part of the new bun panel that was short, as referred to earlier, and also used it to create a new door jamb.

PC040056.jpg

PC040057.jpg

I also cut another piece off the washing machine. This is the side section of the top cover. It's perfect for a top cap on the bun panel. Had to pie cut the heck outta it to get the curve but it turned out well. Now I got a place to rest my arm while cruisin'!

PC040062.jpg

PC040063.jpg

The short side was used to graft into the bun panel whereas the longer side allows some material for attaching interior pieces when the need arises.

PC040064.jpg

Sliced and welded up this rear section so it would suck up against the rear support bracket.

PC040060.jpg

PC040061.jpg

Here's the two panels side by side. A skim coat of bondo and a layer of epoxy primer and they're good to go! Considering both were made from repurposed materials, and for very little money....I'm very pleased with the results. They're currently on my avatar roadster and they look like factory originals!

PC040065.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Tman, Lil'Alb, sko_ford and 32 others like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

3. eldiablooxidado

eldiablooxidado

I saw this a while back and just missed a van hood at Carlisle last weekend!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Nice tech but the BUN PANEL is the lower patch panel you bought. Not the whole piece

X38 and loudbang like this.

5. evintho

evintho

OK...I give up. What is it called then? I use to call it a quarter panel but was corrected and told the quarter is the one behind it with the wheelwell. I was told the panel in question was the bun panel and the extension was the bun patch panel.

loudbang likes this.
  6. This is really cool! Saves a ton of time trying to metal shape this piece

loudbang likes this.
  7. Most parts suppliers just call the complete part a qtr panel so you are correct!

loudbang likes this.
  8. 1928RatRod

1928RatRod

EvinTho, Nice Rod, what back wheels are those ? I need max 3: backspace and want so I can run moons, but the backspace is my issue. Those you have sure look like they have 1 - 3" BS and can take moon dishes ?

9. evintho

evintho

They're just steel wheels that were professionally widened to 10". Picked 'em up at a swap meet for $70. They have 3-3/4" backspace.

6SvXus0l.jpg

Lil'Alb and loudbang like this.
  10. Speedway sells those hoops in 8 and 10" I am building a set of 10s with 56 Chevy centers

11. Pic 1620601905746.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brEad likes this.
  12. 1ton

1ton

Very nice job. I'll bet you got the attention of the Maytag repairman on this one.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. micshotrodgarage

micshotrodgarage
    from colorado

Hi, glade I found this. Thanks for your efforts to make this possible, and share it. I have two body's this will fix.

Mike

stillrunners likes this.
  14. pitman

pitman

Will remember this when I find an incomplete T roadster. Nice job!

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

I came to this thread to learn how to make bun panels. The part you got from Howells.
    Is there a thread on making those?
    Dave Howell told me that his dad gave a Model T to his older brother . It needed that patch panel so he made one, then other guys wanted some too. Thats how Howells business began. I need those too and was hoping Dave would show me how to make them but he cant speak since his stroke.
    If you need Howells parts, buy them from a vendor like Snyders. Dont buy directly from Howells unless you see them at a swapmeet

V8-m, Lil'Alb and stillrunners like this.