Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech week home made tool how to

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Streetwerkz, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

A simple tool I use when fabricating to measure the distance between two objects.

Only simple tools needed, and takes between 1-2 hours to make.
    HUGE time saver, especially to figure out the distance between tubes for roll cage werk.

first I start off with some 5/8" tube I had some scrap of, then cut to length. In my case I wanted 3 different tools a 6", 12", and 16". this way I will be able to measure the distance between 6-10", 12-21", and 16-30" accurately, quickly, and simply.

1) cut material to length, de-burr, and scribe a line 1" in from the edge
    2) Drill a pilot hole with a 1/8" drill bit, preferably in a drill press.
    ***SIDE NOTE***
    A simple trick to keep a small drill bit from walking on tube when drilling is to put a light punch mark in it, then cut up a piece of wood to keep the bit from walking
    3) After the pilot hole is drilled, drill the tube out to the next size over 1/4"
    4) get a 1" 1/4" 20 bolt, along with a nut (1/4" 20 for those who don't know means a 1/4" diameter bolt, with 20 threads per inch)
    5) thread the nut up to the top of the bolt head, and inset the assembly into the hole you drilled in the tube.
    ***SIDE NOTE***
    A easy way to square a bolt in a tube is to use a "C" clamp of some sort with light pressure. keep in mind we do not want to distort the tube at all!!
    6) run the nut down on to the tube, making sure there is contact on 2 sides, then LIGHTLY tack weld the nut in to place. A heavy tack, or weld could result in welding the bolt to the nut thru the gap.... errr, so I've heard:eek: lol
    7) pull out of "C" clamp, and apply 2 1/4" welds at the 2 ends to give the nut a little better contact
    8) check the I.D. of the tube to make sure there are no obstructions, if necessary clean the I.D. out back to the original clearance
    9) cut a piece of round bar stock to match the length of your tube, with the same O.D., as your tubing's I.D.
    10) slip inside, adjust accordingly, and tighten down the bold to lock in the measurement. apply said info to a project and get great results for almost no cash, and a few hours...

Thank you, and remember if you don't vote for me to win the contest I'll find out where you live and toilet paper your damn house!!

Josh

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

the 3 I made, and a example of what they can help you do

Attached Files:

3. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Yes, that's what you apply to the tool after use to ensure a good round tube fitments to another tube

this simple tool is the difference between "It's about 19" ", and "it's definitely 19 3/16" "

Attached Files:

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that's what I was thinking

5. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Hey Streetwerkz, Illegitimati Non Carborundum. I also have made tools like you are showing and they work very well where you have to measure the same distance repeatedly.

6. Black Primer

Black Primer

A tool like that is extremely helpful when centering a rear end housing in your chassis.

7. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I use it more than I thought I ever would, that's for sure
    It's a great, cheap tool to have for anyone that fab's, and wants to keep good tolerances

8. Kartsa

Kartsa
    from FINLAND

9. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Thanks for taking the time to post your tech. I can see it being helpful for sure, especially working with tubes and repeated measurements. If some of these guys spent more time working in the shop and less time critiquing other peoples posts, maybe they would see the usefulness of your tool.

Thanks again for your contribution.

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to use Starrett transfer gages at a machine shop I worked at and they were a refined version of your home made tool. We used them for large I.D. measurement, setting the gage to the I.D. and then measuring the length of the transfer gage with micrometers. I made a set of similar gages as yours, for measuring the I.D. of brake drums, measuring the gage with a set of 12" calipers and then setting the brake shoes to a preliminary setting with the calipers before assembly.

I never thought to post the idea on HAMB and it's good you did it. The naysayers either don't do a lot of shop work or are pissed they didn't think of it! Thanks for posting it.

11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

A longer one may just help me with the alignment on my truck. Thanks for the idea!

12. What KJSR said! I will make one to check toe in.
    Thanks

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Cool idea for interior measurement! Thanks for posting!
    I'd like to copy this and maybe add thumbscrews (on a flattened side of the all-thread) to set the length of the slide or maybe add a pair of tapered pointers for an extended reach on the ends?
    Calipers and compass/dividers are limited sometimes?

Shame there's so much criticism and negativity.
    It's easier to be a critic than a victim?

14. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I never thought to use this for suspension set up.... learn something new every day :)

I thought of thumb screws, the only reason I stayed with a regular hex head was so I could torque them and keep them accurate for repeatability.

Although I think I'll build another set with thumb screws for less critical parts.

Kartsa,
    that tape measure is cool, I've never seen one like it. I will be ordering one.

My personal opinion for using the rods is that tape measures bow, sag, flex, etc.
    Which could give a false measurement on something with a critical tolerance.

With materials costing as much as they do, a rigid measuring device is a great time, and money saver for critical fit up of parts.

My reason for choosing this "gadget" for tech week is that it's something that anyone with simple tools can build, and will bring a great deal of added quality to any build.

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Interesting and useful.
    There have been many times I've cursed on a measuring tape while doing comparative measurments and having something like this...or several in varying lengths...would have been a God send!
    I think I might make a couple of those...THANKS for the idea. :)

16. F&J

F&J

Some sort of pointers on the ends and you could use it for checking/squaring up the inside of a body. Just set it diagonally, then you could quickly test the other side. Try doing that accurately with a tape measure...

I like it

17. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

Cool tool. Made somthing similar out of a leftover telescoping closet rod, the kind that fits nice and tight together. Worked great for making engine mounts where getting an accurate measurement with a tape is impossible.

18. rtp

rtp

I Made a few of these years ago. still work great. The rest of you Raise youre hands if you are an armchair fabricator.

19. barnescole

barnescole

i could use that, easy to make too. thanks for posting

20. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I think the tape measure is one of my least favorite tools in the shop.

You're tool is great.
    I have a special stick/dowel that I use for measurements,
    and a sharpie marker is one of the best rulers for shorter lengths.

Its actually not measurements,
    its just transferring lengths to the piece to be cut.
    Nothing is more exact,
    numerical measurements are usually fudged anyway.

Also when building a car or something with a centerline,
    symmetry is one of the most important tools.
    As long as the distances are the same on each side,
    everything should be square or straight.

TP

21. great tool for a lot of stuff like inside diameters and so on. gonna build me a few of these

22. fitzee

fitzee

Man I just through out a bunch of threaded rod.Man I can remember a number of different times that these are much better then a measuring tape.cool idea,thanks

23. Shrek

Shrek

I like the tool you came up with. Might have missed it but this could have alot more uses also: extra foot for checking brake lights, hood prop, etc. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

24. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Hell even if I don't win, I have heard a ton of great new uses for this lil gadget that will help me along the way!!
    I may have to put them on a chain, and carry them everywhere with me lol.

I'm glad people are finding this useful, and hope to here more great uses for this simple, but useful, and versatile tool

25. Now you're cookin' with gas!!:cool:

I always find myself needing to make something "this" long, I waste a bunch of time figuring out how long "this" is, and then transfer that measurement to the piece to be cut.:mad:

At the end of the day "this" is meaningless, what IS important is :"are they the same length?":confused:

Now we know!

Thanks!:D

26. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I made a variation of your side a few years ago ... Glad to see your post. On the use of a thumb scew ... put a wing nut on it to use as a lock nut.

Ron

27. Clik

Clik

Two 1' flat rulers back to back already have the markings. Just add one foot to your measurement. It still doesn't beat the Swedish tape measure but I have no idea where to get one, especially in inch versions.

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

thanks for the tool tech

29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

As I get older- tools like this help to get accurate measurments in places with less than
    ideal light and or access. Try to read a tape under a car when your bending it in between
    two measuring points. A little marking compound and a scratch mark and you can even
    close it up to get it out of some spots that a longer piece will not get out off, then open
    it back to the scratch mark when you can see. Any carpenter will tell you that anytime
    you can directly get the size rather than take measurments you reduce the chance of errors. Jim