Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs TECH WEEK: 20$ STEERING COLUMN with minimal tools.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx guys, glad it can help some of you!

I imagine there are many ways to do this...... But this is how I did mine and the knowledge i have and I'm pretty happy with the results! Works great completed , with linkage and all, I got it all done in this truck I'm building!

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

3. designs that work

designs that work

This is the definition of TRADITIONAL! Home or Shop made with parts meant for other use. Excellent.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yep! "Muffler Moly"! Personally, I'd rather see exhaust tubing than that fat tiltable stuff the street rodders use. Looks like they're riding a beer keg.

(think about all the 'Spirit Industries' cars with the 'T' bodies and the 5" diameter tilt column hoisted far above the gunwales. Ahoy there!)

If you want it shiny, tubing/steel houses stock stainless steel pipe, various diameters and wall schedules. Polishes nicely.

Great thread! ('bout time someone mentioned it!)

5. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

My '49 Willys Overland has a tilt column out of a Chevy Kingswood wagon and I hate it but didn't like any of the $200 options either.

You sure solved that problem for me!!!

6. brady1929

brady1929

7. Rustbucketrevival

Rustbucketrevival

Awesome tech! You just saved me a bunch of money. Who should I make the check out to? Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. Crankhole

Crankhole

Where could I get a slip collar?

9. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

your local hardware store should have "shaft Collars" just pick the size that matches your center shaft they come with set screws just butt it up to the bearing and tighten the set screw. Once I have marked the shaft by tightening the set screw I like to remove the collar and drill a small dimple for the set screw to locate in it helps lock the collar in place with less chance of moving.

10. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

very nice Ian..as soon as i saw those blue bins, i knew where you were! got to love all their fence goodies!!!

12. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

well done sir !

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx a lot guys......

Matt, YOU GOT THE ONE IN RIVERSIDE HUH??? :)
    IMS is pretty much the shit!:D

14. etboy97

etboy97

For you guys looking for shaft collars try McMaster-Carr on line. They have a large variety. I was just buying some for work. I like the two piece clamp on type.

15. Great stuff!

Gotta love tech week...

16. Sweet column for low bucks!
    If you had a pic of a girl showing clevage drilling a hole, I believe you may win tech week. :D

17. metalix_421

metalix_421

great CHEAP idea

18. rangeman

rangeman
    from medford,or

Very nice thread Ian. Would suggest--in addition to dimple in shaft for lock bolt, how about adding an additional lock nut and lock-tite. I notice some folks suggest this when building columns to fit Mustang II front ends.

19. deto

deto

20. deto

deto

So we know where your vote went...

21. CGkidd

CGkidd

Very nice simple build. I will have to remember this for my current build.

22. Nice, simple, easy to follow tech for a low-budget custom application that doesn't look low budget.
    Nice work mate!

Now if only I had an Industrial Metal Supply place here...the local steel shop here is freakin rediculous on pricing...

23. Just Jarrod

Just Jarrod

Wow! Thanks for this detailed thread! This is exactly what I've been looking for! I inherited someone else's horribly rigged steering column and was gearing up to shell out $200 to fix it.

24. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You know if you wanted to Ian, you could use the fixture on the right for a floorboard flange along with a rubber dust boot on the inside to seal up the hole in the floor........fit it, trim and weld it up.:)

25. Simple and cheap! I'll be using this. Thanks!

26. A Boner

A Boner

An engineer friend of mine saw this thread and said that a slip collar would be MUCH better. The drilled hole in the shaft makes the shaft VERY weak, as the hole is a large percentage of the volume of the shafts diameter. He thought everything else looked great.......BUT the hole is, in his words "DANGEROUS".

............USE A COLLAR.........PLEASE!

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A search shows that those pieces are used for handrails most of the time and a local search for handrail parts suppliers will probably give a source.

The slip collars should be available at any hardware, ag supply or bearing house.

28. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great tech! Thanks Ian.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bit of a search shows that one use for the pipe ends and flanges is on hand rails so a local hunt for hand rail suppliers might be in order there.

The bearing collars should be available at serious hardware stores, ag equipment stores and bearing houses among other places.