Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Smoothing lumpy metal, fixing dents, making a shrinking disc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John_Kelly, Jan 25, 2007.

1. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

2. 50shoe

50shoe

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thats good stuff! I really appreciate your time and knowledge shared.......
    I have a roof on another project car that needs exactly this, and it's really thin metal. Perfect timing!

Thanks again..........

4. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

I have also used a disc (made by myself, thanks John) I have WAILED on some fenders and smothed them out like a 40 yr vet! Nice stuff, keep it up.

5. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Great Tech stuff! I'll be ordering one some. Thanks.

6. evilone0528

evilone0528

Dang!Thanks for the info!

7. tinmann

tinmann

John, the discs I have used are from Sakamoto (Sunchaser). I thought you would need the serrated surface to shrink effectively. I always thought the serrations were like a bazillion little hammers as they rotated by the stretched area. Is a smooth surfaced one like your's as effective? I'm not trying to take away from what you are saying, I'd just like to know how they compare.

8. Thanks for the tech...I'm a little worried you've been peeking in my garage and saw how bad I need this :D

Bryan

9. Personally...? I prefer lumpy...

...but what a great thread for those who don't! I give it 5 stars...

JOE:cool:

10. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Thanks guys..the sunchaser unit works great, but it is sold with a certain amount of gimmickry, and at very high cost. I liked Ken Sakamoto's video though. Too bad he does not sell it by itself. Their disc has the flutes only to stiffen up the disc in my opinion. After extensive use of flat and low crowned discs, for metal shaping and metal-finishing, I find that almost anything can work if it is stiff enough to avoid too much deflection and will make friction/heat. If you have a piece of 20 gage (18 gage is better) cold rolled steel, you can make one from that, although 304 stainless is a better choice. Nothing magic about it....just seems like it once you use one.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

11. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Attached Files:

• cmb2.JPG
      cmb2.JPG
      File size:
      103.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Plowboy

Plowboy

I have one of John's and it works great. Thanks John!

13. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

That, and it'll tear your thigh up a lot faster with the serrations.

14. I just made a deal to buy a '40 Buick coupe (sight unseen) that was in a light roll-over... and the roof is reported to be pushed down.
    Lumpy or not... I'm savin' this one in my favorites... :D

JOE:cool:

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yup, I've seen if first hand.

Buddy of mine was using one, sliced thru his thigh like a hot knife thru butter.

He was afraid to look at the cut, let me look. I said, you gotta go to the ER. I took him, was new to the area, drove around for 20 minutes looking for the hospital.

He still doesn't find the humor in that :)

Rich

16. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

I always recommend holding the disc on the metal until it stops spinning. There is no hurry using one. They can be dangerous. This must be the 3rd or 4th person I've heard of cutting themselves with one...unless I'm hearing about the same guy or guys more than once.

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

It was 15 years ago.

Damn, I'm getting old.

Rich

18. rodknocker

rodknocker

john thanks for the post,but i'm at a loss trying to figure out how your disk shrinks metal,i know i'm stupid but it doesn't seem like it's logical.I'm asking for a serious explaination,i'm not trying to be a dick for once in my life

19. tinmann

tinmann

Rodknocker, the spinning disc will only touch high areas. The contact creates friction. Friction equals heat. Not red hot heat, but blue heat at most. Once the highs are hot, you quench with a wet rag. Effectively bringing the highs more in line with the lows. The disc is not a miracle worker though, you have to have done a decent job of hammer and dolly work beforehand. A beautiful thing about this approach is that the discoloration of the metal gives you a road map of highs and lows for better hammer and dolly work. The Sakamoto video that John mentions gives an excellent tutorial in proper dolly technique.

20. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

already ordered one of those disk from john. as always very educational. thanks.

21. bills model a

bills model a
    BANNED

Hi john i got my shrinking dics from you well over a year ago
    and it has helped me out many times i tend to be agressive with a hammer
    and i can always work it out with your disc.
    Bill

22. tdoty

tdoty

Great stuff, as always, John!

I see you're including a DVD now ........... do ya sell the DVD by itself?

I haven't used my low-crown disc yet. Modified my grinder for better hand protection, and have lost all 3 of the backing pads I bought!

Tim D.

23. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Wow.... I may have to get one of those and try it out!

24. great stuff, always like a refresher.

25. rodknocker

rodknocker

ah lesson learned,thank you

26. tinmann

tinmann

John, how do you cut perfect 10 inch circles in 18 ga stainless? My thought is to rough cut with a shear. Then stack a few of them together on some threaded rod and turn them on the lathe. I'm sure you know an easier way.

27. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

John, I Recieved my disk in the mail last night and thanks for the sample dvd.
    I recommend buying John's dvd only because the little bit of footage he did include on the sample dvd put everything into prospective, I can only imagine the wealth of info on the full version. I will be purchasing my full version dvd hopefully next payday. Thanks again.

Chevnut

28. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Thanks for the nice response guys!

Tim,

I sell the full length metalshaping video video that includes how to make and use a shrinking disc:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980138836765

There is a description of it with HAMB discount in the HAMB-o-Dex

I also sell the short version with just lump smoothing and dent repair in it for $10, or $5 delivered to those who've already bought a disc from me before.

Tinmann,

I get my discs cut by laser. I usually buy 75 or so at a time, so it's worth it. Super nice cuts. If I was just cutting one, I would probably use a jig saw...or maybe a little heat to soften up the stainless and then use aviation snips? Not the best way, I'm sure. I'm part barbarian.

29. BoneCoaster

BoneCoaster

If you've got a lathe already why not make a die and punch them out with a press?

30. tinmann

tinmann

Sounds great.... but knowing how resilient 18 ga stainless is, I'm thinking punching 10 inch blanks might take some serious hydraulics.