Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DonnyK, Sep 23, 2018.

1. DonnyK

DonnyK

I’m looking to replace the front wheel bearings and seals on my 1950 Buick Super, they had been out of adjustment and neglected prior to me owning the car so they’re not in great shape. I’ve found that the stock ball bearings are costly and I’d rather upgrade to a timken style bearing anyway, does anyone know if there is a bearing update available for these? Thanks in advance for any help. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. squirrel

squirrel

it's a little over $200 for new name brand bearings from rockauto, and if you lube and adjust them properly, they should give several more decades of good service.

The size of the spindle and hub make it so that a typical tapered roller bearing won't fit, and the aftermarket replacements (for Chevy at least) have few rollers...which doesn't really help things much.

Flathead Dave and DonnyK like this.
  3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I have used roller replacements from the Filling Station. About $200.00 also. They have good
    technical support if you have an issue.

4. BJR

BJR

If kept lubed and adjusted correctly the original ones would last 50,000 miles or more. So you should be good with the stock ball bearings.