Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech question, making speedos work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

going threw my endless car knowledge in attempts to think of something good enuff to win a t shirt:> lol and i came acrost something i am going to have to figure out for the ford that im sure many are wondering what to do.

i put a sbc/th350 combo in my 50 ford tudor and now im wondering how to make the speedo work with that trani--has metric stamped on the pan if it makes any difference.

i figure i could wire ina tach and have some one clock me so i would know how fast i was going ruffly by rpms but i would rather just have the gauge work.

cant be tht hard, how do you go about it?

thanx
    tim

2. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

If you get the speedo physically hooked up, look in the phone book, or call your local police department and find a place that will actually calibrate the speedo for you. There's a place here that does it, and it's like $35 to test and certify the speedo, extra if you need to change sppedo gears or whatever, but if you went with an electric sender I don't think it would be any extra to calibrate it.

3. DrJ

DrJ

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

ok reading threw those it sounds like all you really need is an adapter to fit the new trani,

well this is were im at, whe i pulled the motor and trani i just cut off anything atached to it so that half of the speedo cable is atached t the trani some wre on its way to florida.

what do i do? can i buy a cable that will work with the 50 speedo and the 350 trani?

tim

5. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

" can i buy a cable that will work with the 50 speedo and the 350 trani?"

Yes you can. If you want one from the salvage yard, find a older GM van with a cable controlled cruise servo. The lower cable is long enough and has the right ends. If you want new, AMC Hornet will work.

You can calibrate the speedo with the plastic gears on the end of the cable at the trans.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]

what do i do? can i buy a cable that will work with the 50 speedo and the 350 trani?

tim

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do not own a 50...........the stock speedometer cable works 'as is' in a 40 Ford with Chevrolet transmission. Hooks right up just like a old Ford transmission.

Done the same in my 56 F100 BigWindow....... [​IMG]

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/speedo_gears.htm

These guys have a site to get your speedometer 'on the money'.....

Deuce Roadster [​IMG]

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

so you wuodnt have to switch the gear/trani side from the stock on to fit?

the 50 ford gear will fit the 350 trani?

trying to get this sorted out

tim

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Not on a 40 Ford coupe or a 56 F100............

Most likely the same on a 50...........but like I said before.......I do NOT own a 50 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

ok, cool cool, ill wait for some comfirmation then.

so i would asume then that most speed to trani conections are universal?

ive never even looked to see how the cable ataches to the gauge before:S

thanx

viva la tech week

tim

10. DrJ

DrJ

I used the stock cable in my 40 GMC. Stock speedo in dash, T350 Tranny. The tranny end was different so I got out the torch and brazed the cable wires together and then ground four flats on it to make it the square I needed to fit the tranny.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

so with my car a couple miles away, how does the speedo cable fit into the trani and gauge?

tim

12. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

There is a nut on each end. It sould be 3/4 20 on the trans, and 5/8 20 on the speedo.

On the older Fords with the female threads on the speedo, you can adapt later cables with a threaded bushing screwed into the cable end. the thread is the same, it just that both are female.