Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: overspray's painting tips for my buddy "EYEBALL"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by overspray, Nov 29, 2007.

1. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

That was great!!! Thanks Reed.

2. TomH

TomH

You got that right.;) :D

3. Shit.....I have been busy at work and working on the car so this slipped by me. I want to publicly thank Overspray for all the help I got from him. The vids were a huge help as well as the advice when I called in a panic due to a "flow check" in the sealer.

It NEVER would have turned out this nice with out his help.

Here are a few pics of the results.

Attached Files:

4. GTSDave

GTSDave

Just spotted this thread. WOW. Been fighting orange peel in my clears for a long time. Never had problems with the single stage stuff. But clear kicks my tail. Now I have a few more things to check.

-Dave

5. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Was doing a search found overspray's paint tech videos and this one for his buddy Eyeball
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354215

check out the Great tech video's from 2007 - overspray Great paint tech Thanks

Eyeball your car looks great in this 2007 thread i'm just 5 years late

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  6. gotit

gotit

Overspray

Does sealer also give basecoat better grabbing to the primer? I understand the tooth from sanding gives the bight but when the solvents are absorbed wouldn't that let them almost flow together in a way?

7. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. That's why most sealers are only "tie coats", to tie the materials together. Most sealers are not fully dry or cured when color coats are applied and will still absorb solvents. Therefore, they can still be penetrated by solvents and usually let some solvents soak through to the primer or under color. This means they don't really "seal" the undercoats from the topcoat solvents. With a good 2K catalyzed primer or paint under the "sealer", the possibility of solvents soaking through doesn't usually become an issue. With uncured or non catalyzed primers or undercoats as a base, the solvents can cause swelling and later shrinking which will telegraph up through to the new topcoat and show uneven areas, sand scratches, feather edges and other imperfections.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Excellent no frills demo

9. gotit

gotit

I have sprayed sealer over 2k highbuild before but it is not often. I guess I need to start spraying sealer before base coat.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Reed .... once again your insight and information is helping me out again after all of these years here on the HAMB.

Question: Have you used any of the Kirker brand paint products?

If so, what is your opinion of them for a 'Budget-Daily-Driver?

Thanks so much,
    Glenn

11. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Lone Star Mopar, fauj, Tman and 2 others like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am preparing to paint my truck in the next week or so, these videos were extremely helpful and I picked up some valuable tips. Thanks!

fauj and overspray like this.
  13. Still a great thread!

fauj and overspray like this.