Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH - Magnesium wheel "restoration"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShakeyPuddin55, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Great tech Shakey. I love those bear claws.

Doc.

2. I had a customer come in this week wanting the graphite and when he told me about this thread I was suprised, excellent tech tip, thanks guys.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

My can of GIBBS just arrived!!!!!!!!!!! Will it have any negative effect on the inner tubes? My 5spokes will be looking good this weekend! Bob

4. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

Money money money.

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Magnesium has its strength in the surface. When it gets severely corroded it looses most of its strength. Just ask someone that works with aircraft parts.

Ago

6. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Anyone seal aluminum polished wheels with gibbs or lubricant type stuff?

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Go to roadsters.com and read all about using Gibbs on magnesium eheels.

Ago

8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 35 years ago, a long gone old circle burner told me they always rubbed down their magnesiums with diesel fuel to preserve them and get the darkest look, it works. I mostly just wipe mine with WD40, to keep the white furrys at bay.

9. Ironmonger

Ironmonger

Impressive thread, and a great look from the Eagle one that I didnt expect, but I should know better as it cleans......then darkens aluminum as well ;)

10. roadtriprod

roadtriprod
    from FARGO ND

Awesome thread!!!!

11. Anglia-cars

Anglia-cars
    from Florida

I just bought a pair of the small mags just like the one in this photo with no name on them. Someone said they may be Superior brand. Help!

12. Anglia-cars

Anglia-cars
    from Florida

Just boought a pair of mags just like the one in the front, they have no name on them. I was told they be Superior brand. Help!

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are truly like Shaky's 15x4 wheels and made of magnesium , I would say they are Americans. Near as I know Superior only ever offered aluminum wheels.

14. Yep, if they are mag they are Americans.

Steve

15. Frasse1234

Frasse1234

This thread is since long abandoned, but I have a question that relates to this subject:
    I´m searching to buy magnesium cleaner "Eagle One Mag Etching Cleaner" that has been strongly recommended in this topic, but it seems that it is not sold or produced anymore. Does anyone here know if there is a good substiture for Eagle One Mag Etching Cleaner?

...crossing my fingers...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  16. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I’ve sprayed my Chinese aluminum 5 spokes with the graphite lube on my patina truck. It site outside 90% of the time. They’ve grown a salt like deposit on them giving them the neglected mag look. I recently replaced the tires. I used brake clean to remove the graphite lube and resprayed them. They once again have the dark mag look.

Frasse1234 and Baron like this.