Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: how to remove unwanted female guests from car: PETA warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Mar 12, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This doesn't out weigh the Brown Recluse (sneaky little bastards) but we've got these running around our garage floor on occasion and the young ones will just about bring you to your knees with instant pain... I can vouch for that!!!
    [​IMG]
    Creepy little bastards show up out of no where and hang out on your wall, in the pantry, in your sinks/tubs, UNDER YOUR HOT ROD, etc. etc... And they're hard to kill! The one that got me I sware I destoyed a thousand times over and I went out a couple hours later and it was gone!! :eek:

NO FUN! I'll take one of these over the Recluse though!

Time for lunch...

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

now i remember why i still live in the great white frozen north. no rattle snakes (or poisonous snakes at all, that i've run across), no poisonous spiders (that i've run across) and no scorpions. just mosquitos the size of VolksWagens.

YIKES!!!!

3. tjm73

tjm73

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

My wife's garden provides a haven for many black widows...we go out on warm evenings, just after the sun goes down - with a major league flashlight (5cell skullbuster) and some excellent Ortho® spider spray. I've never found one in the shop/garage.

re: Left Coast/Right Coast - everywhere I've lived in the West, we've found BWs - got bit by one when I was a kid...reached in an old snag tree trunk to retrieve an errant baseball and felt the bite...unfortunately, our cabin was miles from the nearest doctor - fortunately my mom was a savvy gal, and knew that if I hadn't died within first 20 minutes, I was just going to be a very sick boy...which I was for about 24-36 hours.

"when the going gets tough, the tough head for Donut Delinquents hotrod meet"

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black widow webs dont even look like webs. The look like a bunch of random strands going in no specific direction. And you can always tell when you hit them, cause they crack, and your hand stops moving, or your torque wrench is for some reason hanging in the air

They are partial to dry cool spots with not a lot of sunlight (they will run if you shine a flashlight on them). That corner of the shop, behind the bench...

6. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

In my old cars down here i get these half scale tarantula looking bastard with floppy looking legs that rear up when you go to swat them as if they were saying cmoon fucker hit me a dare ya,i don;'t know if they have some bad ass venom ,but thier creey looking bastards

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Around here we seem to be having a 3 way war between the Brown Recluse, wolf spiders and Hobos. The Hobos are winning. All other spider species have pretty much been wiped out since the hobos moved in. You get the occasional cat-face or black widow, but the daddy longlegs and jumping spiders have pretty much gone extinct. Spraying or bug bombing the house only seems to attract more hobos. In Aug and September I can usually count on finding a hobo or 2 in the bathtub or sink every morning and I keep a shoe handy while watching TV that I use for whacking the ones running out from under the furniture. Had a guy come spray around the house last summer and a couple hours later a hobo came right in over the stuff the guy sprayed across the doorway like it wasn't even there. Black widows tend to stick in one spot where you can deal with them. Hobos are hunters and fast runners. Trick with them is to run them down with the size 12 boot before they can get under the furniture. And shake down your clothes and shoes before you get dressed in the morning. They have nasty, don't want to heal bites like that picture above too.

I've never been afraid of any spider or snake Ive seen....
    It's those bastards you DON'T see that worry me...

8. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

We raised a widow to the size of quarter by feeding her giant Houston roaches, then let her go in the woods by our house due the urging of my girlfriend(now wife).
    not much of a pet but a hell of a conversation piece:D!

9. Muttley

Muttley

Stupid question: How do you do "®" on your keyboard???

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

we have blackwidows here but in the last 30 years i've only seen 2 now the hospitals in your area have rattlesnake antivenom just because of rattlesnake hill in East Hampton massive Timber rattler population right next to a housing development AND they are a protected sspecies Yankee Magazine did a writeup on it a few years ago!

11. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Damn Hobos.
    [​IMG]

12. steevil

steevil

alt + 0174 = ®

13. I was really looking for a post on how to get female guests into my car... but not these ones

- HOLY CRAP!

The only thing I've ever got here are those little garden snakes (harmless, but creepy if you're dismantling a car w/ a nest of them) and damned mud daubers. I opened a car door with a wasp nest in the jamb, and got hit several times in the face in rapid succession. I didn't have much motivation the rest of the day, but those assholes got sprayed into oblivion the next day. But I'd take that a hundred times over a recluse!

-bill

14. Bugman

Bugman

Just so that I can sleep at night again, For the average 180 LB male, what are the chances of death or perminant injury from something like a Widow or Recluse bite?

15. junkman

junkman
    from Athens,La

I can't believe this post has caused such a stir--BUT--If I was going to worry about a spider bite---That brown recluse bite is a bigger danger than the black widow. Everyone knows what a black widow looks like but the brown recluse is just a spider. Don't tell my Mom that--she has a quarter size spot on her leg where it was trying to rot out before she went to the Dr. and they had to scoop out the dead flesh.Don't think a black widow would be a killer to a healthy full grown male---but a recluse could really mess your world.I looked at the map and I'm in the middle of it's home range--That's not to say it can't catch a ride on a shipment of almost anything to your neck of the woods.Just kill the buggers--there's a lot more of them than us---they are only endangered species if I see one:D !!!

16. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I was fishing last summer and a couple of em landed and started arguing about whether to drag me back into the woods or drain me on the spot I ran after they decided to drain me on the spot since they was afraid the big skeeters would take me away from em.:eek::eek:

Dawg

17. noboD

noboD

I like spiders just a little more than snakes and snakes just a little more than rats. Rats creep me out!

18. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Made me think of the news story about a month ago when some guy caught a mouse in his house and took it outside. He lit it on fire (sick ass!) and it ran back in the house and burned it to the ground!! BTW I thought that P.E.T.A. stood for "People Eating Tasty Animals" at least that what the bumper syicker said that i saw in the U.P. of Michigan!

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I don't know how to post a link but if you go to the post of 60s car junkyard on the hamb and check out the sunnerford? junkyard shipping info they show some of the things they find in texas cars.There are GRAFFIC !!!pics of a guys upper thigh after a spider bite ,worth checking it out!Didn't give any of these creepy crawlies a second thought while visiting my son in N.C. we visited several junk yards.Now I was a BIG sissy looking everywhere for snakes !!

20. In the last year my garage has been visited by a large, very friendly roof rat, a small unidentified snake that I found when I put my hand into my scrap wood box, and a confused housefinch that sat up in the rafters and sang for a couple days. A few weeks ago one evening I found a small toad sitting up on my workbench. How he got up there and what he thought he would find is not known. Naturally he emptied his bladder in my hand when I transported him outside.
    Last week I caught a big salamander on the patio headed for the garage. That was a close call.:rolleyes:

21. Healing Brown Recluse bites.

My mother-in-law was bitten by one in Arizona, it took a year and a half to get over it as it was misdiagnosed at first then got too bad before getting to the right doctor. I seen this one, it was so nasty, rotten & black deep crater(about 6" in diam. on her ankle) that even though almost nothing grosses me out, I thought I was gonna hurl.

They move back to IL., and she gets bit by another one, hard to believe but it happened. It started the same way and started into necrosis & rotting, another doctor diagnosed this one right away. Her husband gets some Bentonite clay and makes poultices to pack on it. This stuff has unreal drawing & cleansing characteristics . They healed this one in less than a month, even after the necrosis had started in and it had just started turning black, it reversed it immediately and reverted it back to the tiny little bite marks then it was gone. I keep the Bentonite Clay around now.

Search under "Bentonite clay brown recluse"

http://www.brown-recluse.com/bitephotos.html

http://proliberty.com/observer/20050203.htm

http://www.eytonsearth.org/brown-recluse-bite-clay.html

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:MAWKU1y3LEwJ:www.highway60.com/mark/BRS/bite.asp%3FMsg%3D1647+brown+recluse++bentonite+clay&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

http://www.brown-recluse.com/index.html?google1

ground_pounder likes this.
  22. ground_pounder

ground_pounder

heeebeeejeeebeeezzz...aweeeww

man. i spent the last two days cussing out the snow and getting stuck in my winter beater go-cart everywhere i went, whining b/c i cant hop on the motorcycle i was riding 3 days earlier, thinking how nice it would be to be in a better climate, ....was thinking about it pretty serious too... instead i think i will turn the heat up in the house and the garage and see if anything is good on the tv, maybe do some tinkering later...
    i can watch myself profusly bleed and not flinch, but the whole time i read this i got the creepy crawlies, makes me wanna think twice bout ordering stuff from you guys...haha...
    i saw a rat the size of a squirrel in minneapolis doing a delivery one day, least i know we were both heading separate directions,, i can walk around my fathers cattle that run wild up on his property, stared down by a bull more than once, i go one way they go the other about their business, but them slithering crawly things creep me out.

23. Old54Pop

Old54Pop

Made me shudder, it makes me pleased for the climate of the UK, the most poisonous thing that occaisionally gets in my garage is the mother-in-law !!!!!

24. cadillaccory

cadillaccory
    from Tempe

SmokingJoe, Hobo's are a spider right? Otherwise if Hobo's are homeless people like I am use to calling them than this is without a doubt the most interesting post I've read in awhile.
    P. S., I hate when those pesky homeless people run out from under my furniture.
    -Cory

25. Flathead Elmo

Flathead Elmo

I am so freaked out by this thread...bbbbrrraawwaahhh.... I hate all bugs and scream like a girl when I am working on the car and any bug goes by... was under the rod last summer and a flake of paint landed on my forehead....thought it was a spider... did the whole panic like I had been stuck with a knife, bashing my head on the chassis then the floor several times...flailing arround under there for another ten seconds bashing my head several more times on the way out... felt such a pussy... ended up looking like the elephant man with the amount of bumps I had... Oh did I mention Im in the UK and the most venomous creatures we have are Badgers... but thats another story from another forum.

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ahhhh, yes the old bash the head into the underside of the chassis..thump...thump...owww...

27. 54BOMB

54BOMB

ewwwwaaaa I hate spiders, This lady that my friend worked with at a lumber store in highschool had to get her arm amputated after a nasty recluse bite, Ive been freaked out since then. My wife makes fun of me for checking stuff for spiders all the time but man it freaks me out.

28. EmilyBelle

EmilyBelle

Uhg...we have Black Widows like CRAZY at our house...when my BF and I started dating he spent the first month of our relationship trying to chase down a black widow that took up residence under his 31 ford coupe...one day he opened the garage and the fu*ker was hanging off the rear of the frame...a pair of vans sneakers took care of her.

29. Gigantor

Gigantor

Old thread - but thanks for reminding me not to bitch about working in the cold. I'll take icy tools and frozen toes over that monster any damn day.

30. jonny o

jonny o

I'll second that!