Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH Floating Counsel for your Kustom & Her car update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brjnelson, Dec 3, 2004.

1. brjnelson

brjnelson

It has been 7 months, I thought I would show you what's new with the wifes custom blown Metropolitan.
    [​IMG]
    This will be the first of my "Something from Nuthin TECH" series.
    This counsel (council?) will be mounted under the dash and will have a small mount in the center of the tran tunnel, to make it float and you can see around it. The paint will match the dash with copper sides and white insert.
    [​IMG]
    First thing go to junkyard with $5 and get the center hinge section of a old IH truck or bus. The IH hood opens from both sides. Hack away any part that is not counsel and test fit.

2. jub

jub
    from York, Pa

nice, good idea

3. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG]
    Test fit rough cut panel. Tilt it around to find a good angle, make a plan and change it a few times.
    Hack it some more to fit your plan.
    [​IMG]
    The panel stamping had a diamond shaped gusset, under the IH,
    a piece was cut out of the scrap and fitted in for welding. I just cut out the patch with a cutoff wheel and fit with a belt sander and a few hammer blows.

4. brjnelson

brjnelson

[​IMG]
    Now I need something to wrap around the sides, I scrounged up a rusty parts door from my neighbor's Metropolitan parts car, and cut out the curved section from the top outer doorskin.
    Any shape could fill in the sides, a south wind heater shell cut in half down the center for each side would look good too, or any other curved sheetmetal would work, the beaded grill sides from the same International truck could be slick.

This part of a old IH hood is a interesting part, it would make a dash if you got 2 of them and v-butted together.

Keep a open mind, when strolling through the next junkyard you are in and look for sumthin from nuthin.

5. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

the word you're lookin for is "console"

6. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

cool! nice work piecing the random parts together. [​IMG]