Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Cheap + easy door solenoids.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Rocket88

Rocket88

Here's a few pics of the door solenoinds in my bro's 50 fleetline after he shaved the handles.

In the first shot you can see where he drilled a hole in the door latch for the pull rod (a piece of coat hanger) to go.

[​IMG]

Here's the back side, notice the larger hole he drilled to allow the rod to be installed.

[​IMG]

Here's the solenoid he used, your basic bone yard GM power door solenoid.

[​IMG]

2. Crease

Crease

Junk yard actuators? I didn't even realize that they were linear. I always assumed that they were built into the mechanism. Ya just saved me some cash, thanks!

3. Shaggy's Dad

Shaggy's Dad

Brilliant!

I remember Cal! He was a true pioneer.

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Thanks R88, good tech.

B:DB

5. Another tip, if you need a more powerfull solonoid like the heavy duty 35lb ones advertised...............use a SBC starter solonoid!!!!!!!!!! Thats all the store bought ones are!

6. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

I got a bunch of these if anybody needs em. $5.00 ea plus shipping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

A common reason for weak solenoid pulling is undersized wire and a large voltage drop. Ive used #12 wire and GM actuators with good results.

8. or try these

[​IMG]

S10 Blazer TailGate solenoid
    found this while getting some stuff for Large Marg. compact w/a pulley& bracket. pull only w/return action. they measure about 4inches long & 1 3/4 across(total of about 3" across w/bracket).dont know the PSI they pull but does give a hellva yank when tested. look for S10 Blazer 1994 & older & they may be the same in 2nd Generation also.
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/TooMany2count/solinoid.bmp

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

I'll take a pair of those... PM sent :D

10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

supposedly,though,the starter 'noids have a tendancy to burn up the wires...
    creepy

11. Always wondered if those solenoids would work on a door latch, I have some laying around in doors I have to get rid of - I'll probably just cut the insides out and save the power stuff. But I had thought to try them for this ... wow, like 10 years ago, just never got that far on that car.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea, they might suck a little more juice, what might work is run heavier gauge wire from the solenoid to a relay and then the battery, and wire the switch to the relay... :confused:

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks for posting. Do you need one of those spring loaded poppers?

14. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

That one posted by TooMany2Count (S10 tailgate) is also used in GM "A" body station wagon tailgates in the 80s-90s. The bracket is a little shallower on the wagons.