There's been a TON of question's asked on here regarding stovebolt chevy's, T5's and open drive conversion's.. I just finished my 53 Chevy today with the help of a good friend, and the use of his shop , converting from the stock non-syncro 3 speed and closed drive rear end to a S-10 T5 and 56 chevy rear with 3.36 gears and thought a tech post on this may help some other's who may be considering doing the same thing... So, here go's... First thing was getting the part's in order for the swap. After doing some research on adapter's, i talked with Buffalo enterprises, http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/index.htm, and went with one of his adapter's. Here's a pic.. When you buy one of his plate's, you send him the front bearing retainer/input sleeve from your trans and he machines it for your application as well... I chose his because using his plate, you can retain the stock clutch, bell housing and pedal assembly.. All of which i wanted to do. The only custom item needed is a clutch disc with the T5 center and the 53 chevy dia disc..Some application's will also need the input shaft of the trans shortened where it slide's into the pilot bushing as well....that's it. First thing to do was remove everything from the car. I needed to get the flywheel and clutch assembly off so i could have a new disc made. A local company, Rochester Clutch and Brake, http://www.rochesterclutch.com/, has been in business a LONG time and is excellent at custom application's...so my clutch stuff went to them for a complete rebuild and custom disc.. So while that was away, i mocked up the new plate.. You can see how simple it is in this pic........ (nice thing about this car is the whole floor tunnel is removable..made this job real easy) Once that was bolted on, we tried to slip the trans in place only to find i had to cut the center section of the original cross member out. The T5's body being much bigger than the stock 3 speed would need more room.. Once that was opened up, we then slid the trans in place to check both fitment of the trans itself, and also the input shaft to make sure i didn't have to shorten it to fit the pilot..then on to make a new drop out cross member for the T5.. I got lucky and didn't have to do anything to the input shaft.. I bolted the new mount to the trans and started to fab the new drop out trans mount.. Here's a pic of it from under the car. The motor was supported right from the start, so the angle was set, just needed to fab it up. Using 3/8 thick x 2" steel plate, we started making the side's to the new mount, welding them to the existing crossmember.. Then we used two more pieces of 3/8 plate as the side mount's, and a piece of 1/8th wall 1x2 rec tubing as the horizontal brace. We drilled hole's though the plate's on the frame, and drilled and tapped the one's for the drop out using 3/8th bolt's to hold it in place.. Then welded the 1x2 to the tapped side plate making it removable if needed.. On to the next step...e-brake linkage. Because we had to modify the original crossmember, where the factory eBrake linkage once lived, we had to make changes there as well... We took the original bar, and made a series of bend's in it to clear the new trans..then made a small plate with a 1/4" slot cut in it, similar to the factory pivot point.. That piece was welded to the pass side 3/8" plate that was welded to the frame.. It was moved rearward and down to both clear the trans body and give enough room for pull in order for the e-brake's operate. In these pic's you can see the stock linkage bar now bent to clear ( it used to be a flat plate) and the added piece for it to attach to. You can also see the new drop out transmission mount. On to the next step....... Rear end. hang tight..another post to follow.