Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: 1955 Chevy 4-door to 2-door shananigans!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CSU55Chevy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. scrape

scrape

good job!!!! ive been thinking about the same thing...... i used to have all the parts to do it too..... but, i gave the doors to dirty31.......

2. CSU55Chevy

CSU55Chevy
    from Olathe, CO

Thanks Guys! The comments are highly appreciated! Its nice to get the thumbs up from yall. All the guys i hang out with are either interested in fox-body mustangs, STI/EVO's (those import turbo'd things), or Diesel Trucks. I guess its just my age group. Not a single one of my buddies could i.d. a 50 merc or 37 ford if it ran over them....im definately an oddball round these parts. To each his own i guess. Im going back home this weekend, so ill post better pics then...

3. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

ps theres a 57 chevy 2 door at the junk yard but its missing the front doors.(and most of everything else) but it has a front seat you could prolly get it for like 25 dollers. ill go this weekend and grab it if someone send me some cash to get it.

4. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Cool, you jumped in with both feet but it looks like you know what you want. It'll work. But hey, this is from a guy who also likes shorties, but the coolest ones have about a 4" chop too.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

There is a orange 3 door on another forum in a post I started when I was asking about doing mine. sorry I dont know how to do the picture thing? somebody else may have a pic of it ???

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

hey i'll buy$$$$ a copy of that manual thingy when your thru,now i know what to do with my 56 4dr. by the way do you have 2 of the chrome wheels on the front of that 55. if so would you want to sell em. good job young blood:D

7. Squablow

Squablow

PM sent, I'm interested.

Cool, thanks for the inside pics. I've heard of people doing this using 4 door back doors as filler panels but I've never seen good pics of the conversion like you're doing, very nicely done. A chunk of your inner door sheetmetal should make a great filler piece. If you really want to get fancy, I'm sure you could make the window regulators out of your original front doors work in the rear, with some new felt tracks for the window to go up and down in.

Really makes me feel good to know you saw my '60 Fury thread to get some ideas from. I wish this conversion would get more popular, there are so many good conversion cantidates out there that get passed up all the time. I want to save every set of two door sedan doors and quarters I come across at the junkyard, I need a bigger storage building.

8. atch

atch

at the peoria americruise ('94???) there were a couple of 3-doors. i believe that one was a '39 olds and the other was a '39 poncho; and they were owned by brothers or brothers-in-law. fairly nicely done and finished.

actually i disagree; just a work in progress, and a pretty cool one at that.

9. I've been around '55 Chevies for almost 25 years... and that, my friend, is a stroke of genius.

Thanks for being an inspiration to us... and rod-on baby!

Sam.
    ('55 Chevy lover)

10. knotheads

knotheads

thats just wrong !

11. I like the three door idea. I'd leave the third door on the passenger side. The only time anyone would be in back is if some one was already up front with the driver. Plus, the driver's side is the side that needs to look cool. When you park, have the driver's side showing. Then assholes like me don't say,"It'd be nice if it was a two door!" Not starting an anti four-door thing, but it's like women who say size doesn't matter, they just say it so their penile-challenged hubbys don't feel insecure.

12. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

:D :D :D

CSU55Chevy, I like the way it has turned out so far. Keep up the hard work! :cool:

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

nice work, pls keep us posted

14. The great gift of youth is no fear. You have done a great job so far! As you age you become more complacent and ordanary. The great thing about the HAMB is that it brings all the great dreams you had as a youth flooding back and motivates you to be young and restless again. Dont worry about what the other kids your age are in to, I guarentee you when your car is done they will all be wanting something old school that not everyone else on the street has. My own sons had old cars in high school and they still have them and now all their friends have tired of the stangs, tuners etc and want something classic, but cant afford them or cant wrench on them themselves. You have genuine talent and drive my young friend, keep the fire going. Best wishes on your project:D

15. I haven't seen any pictures of the inside of a 2 dr sedan factory car vs the four door. I'm curious how the window channels and regulator assembly will be installed. Have you had time to work on this project anymore?

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You're off to one hell of a flying start! Very cool.

17. CSU55Chevy

CSU55Chevy
    from Olathe, CO

I havent really gotten back to this car. but the rear glass will be solid mounted like a "150" model. just the price to pay i guess. with enough work im sure i could get a regulator in there, but just not something i planned on. I might drag it back out here this weekend and do some body work...see how well it will turn out at the final stage.

18. Cool nice to see you what it takes at such a young to see it thru to completion.

19. Dirty2

Dirty2

I cant belive I cut up a 4 door 57 and could have done this .

20. CycloneRods

CycloneRods
    from NE Ohio

If I'm not mistaken, in Overhaulins first season they morphed a '56 four door into a two door roadster.

PS:

I am probably one of the only guys out there actually looking for a clean, ratty '55 four door to build. although I love the looks of the two door 55's I really want to build a four door. I have this vision of what a four door could look like in all black w/o any trim or handles..... here is something close to what I want to do:

[​IMG]

21. Very cool and nice work. Keep posting updates as you get more done.

22. CSU55Chevy How was your summer did you ever get time to attack gramps 55 or the one you started? Your back in School now so she'll be missing you.

23. CSU55Chevy

CSU55Chevy
    from Olathe, CO

hey guys, just poked back here to my old post. my summer went well, too much of the daily grind that i really didnt get much done on the 55. But i did pick up a 55 chebby pickup. anyway, i buttoned up the other side some weekend this summer. pics will show you that its just tacked at this point. other than that i'm just doing the school thing, much to my chagrin. anybody planning on doing this conversion soon?

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nice work! Keep at it.

25. Memph

Memph
    from Washington

Damn nice work man

26. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Good Job there..........We have done a 60 Plymouth wagon for a customer in Houston..4 door to 2 door...will be a drag car with a 582 wedge/Jerico 4 speed....and If anyone is interested, I have a 55 Chebby 2 door body sitting down back. The problem is that it is in pretty darn good shape...floors are near perfect...I hate to cut it up, but if a 4 door 5/6 or 7 comes my way.....

Mark

27. bustingear

bustingear

(im a junior technical journalsim major)
    Graft not Graph.....
    I am not im...........

28. CSU55Chevy

CSU55Chevy
    from Olathe, CO

there is a big difference between my writing style for school and my writing style on the internet. if you wrote as much as i do you'd would probably greatly enjoy just expressing your thoughts without scanning every word and letter for correctness. trust me, my generation has an extremely informal discourse, and in todays society the ideas being transferred are of primary concern, not the impact of grammatical integrity. but yes, i do understand what your saying. guess i'm (<< that works too) just better at building hot rods....

29. frozen_bohemian

frozen_bohemian
    from Minnesota

Sweet idea..now if you really want a unique ride leave the other side of the car a 4 door......

30. Markgyver

Markgyver