Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tease

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Suscribed.

This is going to be a custom that will stand the tset of time.

2. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

i liked it better as a coupe

3. hoop

hoop

I love it!

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, koolkemp, I take that as a compliment. Our design is influenced by Ralph Jilek's Ford and Glen Hooker's Merc, both of which were Valley cars, but very little has been copied directly from either one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Several of you have commented that you liked it better as a coupe. I liked it in that form too, and it would certainly have been easier to stop there, but the whole basis for this project was to do a '40 convert with a postwar-style top (with quarter windows).

I have always felt that '40 Fords (especially coupes) are such a nice design that most efforts to improve them by customizing fail. The one exception to that is the convertible, which in stock form is an ugly duckling. I thought that a complete revision to the top would make it a much prettier car, and that's what we're trying to do.

The decision to channel it, and to do the other radical body modifications, came about in attempting to get the proportions right with the new top. The good-looking coupe that resulted was just a happy accident.

Thanks again for the many comments.

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was really excited when it was still a coupe, but I don't blame you for "convert-ing" it... (yeah I thought that up myself)... It will be a very beautiful car... Hell it already is! I could see it with about an inch and a half or two inch vertical chop from where it is now as well...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

color choice is gona be huge...imo...charcoal can look pretty good but candy apple red done with a gold base under it ...now theres a color...just my .02

9. rick finch

rick finch

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've been more interested in doing this as an "idealized" '40 convert than as a sinister or showy-looking custom. Kinda the way that Edsel Ford customized a Lincoln Zephyr into the original Continental. Most of the decisions about proportion & color go through my "What would Edsel do?" filter. Gunmetal, or some other understated color, is more consistent with this direction than a more flamboyant color would be -- although burnt orange was on the short list for a while. I have even considered choosing a stock '40 color like the pale grey-green that I repainted over on my '41 years ago.

Similarly, the proportions of the top and body have been chosen more to look "right" than to be an extreme statement (as I think the Jilek '40 was, for example).

The grille that we've been planning all along is a faux '40 Merc, but I'm even reconsidering doing it more like a '39 DeLuxe.

11. rick finch

rick finch

Cloud mist grey/tan top...;)

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think it would look great the pale gray green you are thinking of,I agree an understated color will be perfect for the design !

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Courtesy of Rick Finch, here's the very grey-green I was speaking of (Cloud Mist Gray, in Ford parlance):

Attached Files:

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

^^^^^ Definitely a good choice !!! I love that color .

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Great choice of color IMO. How about an update for those of us drooling out here.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sorry, there's nothing new to report. I've been kinda short on money lately, and have had to ask Don to take a break.

I hope I'll be able to ask Don to resume work before long.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud