Register now to get rid of these ads!

Teardrop trailer rehab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying53gmc, Aug 13, 2012.

1. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

Been working on a teardrop I picked up on turkey day last year. I have had it out a few times now and its a blast.

Attached Files:

2. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

more pics

Attached Files:

3. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Sweet project. Bubba's Hot Rod Shop out in Indy makes some gorgeous Teardrops. :cool:

4. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

moving along

Attached Files:

5. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

movin on

Attached Files:

6. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

more

Attached Files:

7. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

8. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

that's it for now. Still needs some finishing touches but it beats the hell out of a tent.

Attached Files:

9. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

not sure yet. I would like to try to shine up the aluminum but it has been pretty abused over the last 65 years. Someone took a wire brush on a grinder to it and I would have to try to get those scratches out somehow. Im not sure how to go about it yet.

10. Terry O

Terry O

Depending on how deep the scratches are, you'll have to start sanding with a courser paper 600 - 800 maybe, final sand should be 1200. That should clean it up providing wire brush scratches aren't too deep. After scatches are removed, if you don't want the upkeep of polishing, a wash with "StreakMaster" or "AlumaBrite" every few months keeps it looking original.

Terry

11. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

I don't want the upkeep of polish. This sounds like a plan to me. I assume this is all wet sanding? Any more info on this would be good.

12. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Where did you get this at?

13. jazz1

jazz1

I was looking at a 1951 canned ham today,,you can polish them but that will just highlight all the dents you have yet to notice..paint is the way I would go,,,nice trailer ya got

14. F&J

F&J

That trailer sure does beat a tent. Looking pretty comfy in there :)

There seems to be a growing want for small camp trailers for hot rodders.

Is there a hamb community group yet, for talking about these small trailers? or just the older thread about camp trailers?

15. I have seen flyningGMC's trailor and it is really a neat peice that Whit did a great job on without going overboard. The day he drug it home, he stopped by my shop and showed me the teardrop and asked me what I thought about the the project. Whit takes chicken droppings and make good chicken salad from it, and my encouragement wasnt needed to do so. Halarious guy to hang around, and I await the day he pulls it to a show with his Model A coupe project finished!

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't know what it is about these little teardrops, but seeing one makes you want to hit the road and explore the country. You are doing a nice job on that one, and you were smart to add air conditioning. :)

Don

17. makes me want to dig out my old photo albums. had one just like it, in about the same condition in 1964. took it to the winter nationals in Pomona where we awed many by cooking Filet Mignon in the bleachers on a coleman stove at 7 AM. probably couldn't do that now.

18. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy
    BANNED

Nice Trailer, good luck on the build.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very nice job !! Always loved those little deals, and your post is motivating me to find one for my next project to pull behind my '63 Biscayne..
    THANKS..:D
    Cheers....

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I had the exact same one in the 70s. A real PITA to get dressed in the morning but it was a real nice tower behind my 34 P/U. My toddler son slept on the shelf. My galley was more complete. Take a good look at the extruded aluminum strip on the bottom of the rear hatch. It should have a groove in it to attach a tent to. A tent supplier should be able to provide a slide in strip of material to sew onto the the tent that fits this slot. It can be extended with the tent for more room during the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a drawer on the left and a water tank that pulled out to allow you to draw water.

This is not mine. I found this one on Ebay many years ago now but it is exactly like my old one. I loved it when I was single but we out grew it shortly.

21. F&J

F&J

Some of the Northeast shows seem to be setting up more camping areas for sleep overs. I think that's a good move, as the shows will get people from a bit farther away, and then they can have a more relaxing time if they have a place to stay.

It would be nice not to have to rush around at the show and then leave early.
    Can't think of a better place to stay and have a cookout, and BS with everyone.

22. easyrider47

easyrider47

There's an old teardrop near here that the guy wants $850 for. It's full of junk but what I see of the interior is pretty good. It's not as big as the one in the post and it doesn't have a galley.

23. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

24. Patrick46

Patrick46

25. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

Here's a website that I frequent for these types of trailer--
    Teardrop 'n Tiny Travel Trailers: www.tnttt.com

26. Terry O

Terry O

27. Patrick46